Lily Toxicity- When to bring them home?

xhalez17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

My kitten, 5 months old, got into the pollen/stamen part of a lily yesterday morning. His mouth and chin as well as one front paw were pretty covered and he had already begun to clean himself. We brought him into the vet no later than 30 minutes after it happened. They initiated vomiting, activated charcoal and IV fluids and have been caring for him ever since. His labs a few hours after the incident were in normal range for kidney function. Our vet recommended taking him to an emergency health clinic for overnight observation with a recommendation to keep him there for another 48 hours.

We have not received updated labs yet today but had an update this morning that he is doing well, was spoiled overnight and they will give us another call later.

If labs come back normal later today would it not be ok to take him home? I want to do what is safe so money is not an issue if he needs to remain but I don't want to keep him away from home unnecessarily.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the lab reports are still normal and the vet says that the danger has passed, then bring him home by all means. He'll be happier at home anyway but be sure to throw those lilies - as far away as possible, where he can't reach them.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
If you want to do what's safe, then I'd follow the vet's instructions.