Lilac point male wondering if show quality

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I think the grooming varies widely depending on breed and agree with @GoldyCat
 's suggestion of checking out with other Siamese exhibitors.   With RB it is important to retain the density of coat and brushing etc is avoided, hence my approach with not bathing but ensuring my cat's coat is clean and soft but also thick and dense.  (I suspect if I did bath Mouse it would take about a week to dry out even using a hair drier despite his fur being short)!
I have a Household Pet like that. I try to bathe her on Wednesday or Thursday before a show because it takes at least 24 hours for her to dry completely, and that's in an area with very low humidity.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@GoldyCat  , I still remember bathing my tabby, Pal, once: drying her with towel, then hair dryer, and somehow she still smelled like a damp wool rug for about 3 days!  
   With Mouse, his fur is so dense I can't actually see his skin when I part it other than on the top of his head and face, and on his rather large belly.  

I am sure that with the lighter / white fur colours like Gizmo's,  bathing makes even more of a difference than it does with darker shades as it will bring out the full luster and clear colourating more.     

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cutebunnyirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You guys have been so awesomely helpful. I really really appreciate it. I'm going to start a regime, once a week with Gizmo, where he is handled by either me or a friend and start taking him to a groomer, even if the only thing they do is clip his nails and brush him out. It will be a stranger and that's what matters. He's still got some growing to do, his jowels haven't come in and his points haven't full developed, but that gives me plenty of time to attend some competitions and make some connections. 

I have one last question.

I'd really like to brush his teeth once daily like I do my GSDs, but my GSD's like the taste of the tooth paste and I trained them from pups to open their mouths and bare teeth on command so I can get in there and brush without fuss. Now a cat... I'd really like to not make it stressful for him, any tips?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
How old is Gizmo? He can be shown as a Kitten from 4 months until 1 day less than 8 months. If he's 8 months old on the first day of a show he goes in as an adult. The judges' books have the breed, color, and the age of the cats, no other information. They give tend to give kittens and young cats a little leeway on the full development.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
For dental care:   a lot of people on this site have a daily dental routine with one of the enzyme pet toothpastes on the market.  The one I use is Logic but there are others which are more readily available in the US I think. Usually poultry or fish flavour - you may find the one you use for your dogs is fine for Gizmo, just check on the packing.

I started out letting Mouse lick and taste from my finger, then progressed to him letting me rub around his gums and teeth using my finger.  Next stage is adding a little gauze on your finger to add some abrasion but I don't think Mouse really needed that stage.  You can use something like a cotton wool bud if you worry about your fingers or think Gizmo would prefer his mouth rubbed with something a little smaller.  The toothpaste often comes with a silicon finger brush or tiny tooth brush but a tip I got from another member here a few months back was to use the little inter dental brushes which are easy to buy now.  Mouse is very happy with them - they are so small and neat they don't both him at all - he will lick the paste off the brush to start with and then let me brush around his teeth and gums with the little brush no problem at all.   I use the thickest one I have seen which is a size 4 so there is just a little pressure when I brush.  Mouse loves the taste of the paste so much he will even come running sometimes still when I say 'tooth time' - as a youngster he would come running and bounce up on the kitchen work top to sit waiting for his twice daily tooth brushing!  Something tells me Gizmo is likely to do the same.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cutebunnyirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hes 8 months old, a few days older, so he wouldbe put in the adult class. Thank you for the teeth tips, im going to take him in to have a dental cleaning under anesthesia and then follow your steps to introducd him to it, thank you so much.