Likely Allergens

evolily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm starting an elimination diet for my cat. He's allergic to something, I suspect it's the corn in his dry food. I was wondering, if eliminating corn doesn't work, what are the next foods to consider? Do cats develop allergies to dust, etc?

I'd rather not have him allergy tested, since it's expensive and inaccurate. He has watery eyes, dirty ears (mites ruled out repeatedly) and sometimes has sneezing fits, more frequently recently (to the point he's had to be dosed with benadryl).

I really should have realized it was allergies a while ago, his human is apparently quite dense.

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would just try switching them to some limited ingredient food from a pet store or vet clinic. The only brand I would stay away from on the limited ingredient side of things is Royal canine  If you have a petco in your area I know they carry these http://www.instinctpetfood.com/product/instinct-grain-free-limited-ingredient-kibble-cat-food-turkey  http://www.instinctpetfood.com/prod...e-limited-ingredient-kibble-cat-food-rabbit-0  I would personally go for the the rabbit one. I would also do some dusting and try some really basic cleaning products. Like if you dust off your table just use Windex, if you have a hardwood or a kitchen floor such as hardwood, tile, etc.... Just use some vinegar mixed in with water. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

evolily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Because his brother has a history of FLUTD I'm trying for a mostly wet diet (and no way can I afford prescription/"natural" wet) but i'll look at that for a supplement. If absolutely necessary I'll feed separately.

My house is fairly clean (I have asthma/allergies) but he likes to hang out in the basement. I haven't noticied a correlation between that and the sneezing, though.

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
do you have a dehumidifier? Mold can cause those issues as well