Like hummers?

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in the gutter.

I think I've only seen one hummingbird all summer, but I work nights and don't get much of a chance to. They are some amazingly, beautiful birds.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adore hummers. We have ruby throated were I live. My parents and I have feeders. Earlier while at my mom and dads I was outside watching the hummers. Two started to fight and they flew over my head. One of em' crapped on my arm

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Beautiful pics! I love them! I was downtown one day last wk. I was about to walk, I parked my car at our school administration office, I know quite a few that work there so I went in to speak to them. Suddenly, a girl came in and said something about a hummingbird. One of my friends walked over to
the door and so did I, this hummingbird had flown into the glass door and was
on the sidewalk. We went outside and discovered it was still alive. We were
both scared to pick it up, for fear we would hurt it even more. so she went in and got a sheet of paper, she then put it under the bird and got him on it, she then picked it up and brought it over to the shrubs. I left and walked and when I got back I went to check on it and it was gone. Thank goodness he
was alright!
I have seen wasps run off a hummingbird from it's feeder one time! The wasps were pigging out at the hummingbird feeder one day and then a
hummingbird flew up to feed, well
those wasps got after that poor hb!
Well I went in to get the wasp spray, I swear they knew it because when I went back out there they flew off! I know they will wait on you too if you
have messed with them! It's like they never forget!
I enjoyed the pictures! Thanks for sharing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

I ordered it June 26, but it's on backorder so I have to wait for Nikon to produce more. We are going to Rockport, TX next week for the Hummingbird Festival, but it looks like my scope won't be here on time.
Fingers crossed you get it before next week! I'm really jeleous now!!!! A hummingbird festival!?!? I did'nt even know such a thing existed. How awesome! Have a wonderful time there

Originally Posted by Liza24

my mom gets about 40-50 bird each summer, and they eat about 3-4 feeders full a day!
WOW! That is alot!
Do they share? I ask because mine are SO territorial. Each feeder has an owner, and that bird will not let anyone else feed. I see pics of hummingbirds with 5+ of them at the same feeder. I always wonder why some are sharers and some are stingy!

Originally Posted by jean-ji

Those are great pictures. I love hummingbirds and have had feeders out for two years and no one came.
But around July I finally saw one and can now say I have a hummingbird that comes every day. I was so excited to see him the first time. I love them.
Thats exactly what happened to me! The last few yeras it seems we had them early, like in may. So this year I had feeders out early and checked the migration map daily to see when they got to the area. None! all summer
until august! Now I have too many lol there are at least 20 of them out there!
I want to tell you all about a wonderful plant that I think is a magnet for them. It is called a hyacinth bean vine. It was'nt until that vine finally bloomed that I saw my first hummer of the year
I never even heard of the plant until this year. But if you get your hands on the seeds or a plant give it a go. They love it!

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

They're beautiful! I don't think we having humming birds this far north, or at least I've never seen any.

Amazing how they can flap their wings so fast that they can stay in one spot lie that to drink from a feeder.
I don't know how far north they go, but I do know there are some that "summer" in Canada
I'll try to see if I can find which ones and how far they go.
If you ever get one to feed from your hand, you will be amazed at the wind-force they produce! Its like a mini turbo fan

Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

When I was younger we had one get in the house once
It was the cutest thing!
My dad was able to get it to land on his finger and careful take it outside. (he has a way with animals
)
After that every few weeks it would come back in the backdoor and visit with my dad.
He would buzz around the lampshade next to him.. His name was.... Buzz
how adorable! They are so tiny! They feel very wierd when they land on you too
its like their tiny little feet are suction cups or something. When they take off, you know lol

Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I love hummingbirds so much I have a hummingbird tattoo!
Cool! Pic please

Originally Posted by gemlady

The shorter daylight hours may have them tanking up for migration south. And you may get some who have migrated from farther north.
That has got to be what is happening now. There are so many of them! All ruby throats so far, but I am planning on leaving the feeders out longer this year in hopes of seeing an Anna's, green violet eared or Rufous

By far the best time to view and get one to drink from your hand is right before the sun goes down. Go out, take down the most popular feeder and hold it still as possible in your hand. Before long, you will be up close and personal with one
I wish I could get a pic of this- but sadly, I'm not that coordinated lol and no one else will come outside with me at that hour because of the mosquitos! So word of warning, if you try it- wear pants and sleeves! That is the worst possible time for bugs

I will try to get some new pics tonight when they are in their feeding frenzy. But for now, I hear my blue jay calling me for her peanuts
and I don't like to keep my beauties waiting.