Lightning strikes, computer dies...insurance?

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mezlo

I'm a computer tech and many times whether or not a claim is covered depends on how I fill out the paperwork. A lot of the time if I write down "lightning" on the claim form, the insurance company won't cover the damage because lightning is an Act Of God. However, if I write "electrical surge" instead, then they cover it without issue. I fail to see the difference, but it all depends on how the policy is written.

Mez
Having read this, I thought I'd go read the copy of the letter that Frank (my computer guru) wrote to my insurance company. It is as follows:

Reference Computer Gateway tower Serial#********* MFG Date 2/4/04 services on 8/7/06 Invoice #325981 appears to have suffered a power surge. Computer was not able to be repaired. Motherboard shows signs of blown resistor caps by processor unit.

Recommended computer tower to be replaced as present system is not repairable.

So perhaps it was the wording "power surge" that allowed it to be covered completely by my homeowners insurance. I didn't even have to pay a deductible.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The same thing happened to my family a couple years ago. Lightning struck and it ruined a bunch of electronical stuff. It was all covered by our insurance company. I would think yours would cover that sort of thing as well.