Lightning damage to trees?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had quite a storm roll through here last night!  I woke up on the couch around 2 this morning to rumbling thunder.  I ran out in my backyard in my nightgown to grab my kid's little pools and slip & slide I'd left out to dry  I knew they'd be blown to the next yard at least!  It was CONSTANT lightning and the radar had showed the storm still a ways away!  The wind was kicking up too.  By the time I got back inside we had a severe thunderstorm warning issued.  My 4 year old spent about 2 hours on the couch with me.  It was pretty intense!  We spent a few minutes looking out the back door but then just curled up so I didnt notice the damage till this morning.

My neighbor has 2 pine trees right by my fence.  One lost 2 branches in the snow last winter and already had lost it's top part.  The tree was not healthy but had 2 big sections still standing.  Well one of those is down now with about 6 inches to spare between my fence and where it is laying.  Fortunately it's the side AWAY from my house!  

Anyway; my question: does lightning damage to pines look the same as hardwoods?  There is a nice full tree on the other side of her property missing a big lower branch now.  It's strange looking like that because the tree looks so healthy otherwise.  Like it's just an odd spot for wind damage.  There are other trees and large bushes around it so it's fairly sheltered there.  That made me wonder if it could be lightning damage?  I can't see the trunk because the  tree is so full.  At least not from my back patio.

It looks like my summer squash and zucchini took a bit of a beating in the wind too but I'm not too worried about that.  It's happened before.  It's a shame about that tree though.  Both of those pines shade my garden in the late afternoon when I like to go out and weed. 

This is from last winter and not the best view of the tree in the dark; but you can see how close to my house it is.  The right side is what is down now except for those branches pointing toward the camera.  It broke a main section just above them..

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kiddie pool and slip & slide...is that SNOW??

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Not sure if it will help, but this tree was struck by lightening, and a huge branch broke off- you can see it black on top

this one I think was also struck, but I don't see any burn damage like the first- though totally split in half.

Apparently this tree was a home to a squirrel. Poor thing.

Last edited:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The lightening storm was crazy here last night, too. The thunder woke me up and I saw all this flashing through my curtains. I looked out the window and the sky was just LIT up! Constant lightening, bolts touching down, wind blowing. I heard a weird loud noise come from the main road and wasn't sure if it was a transformer that got struck or if it was some kind of warning alarm. The cats didn't like that.

Poor squirrel. 
  I hope it was quick and painless.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor squirrel!

@peaches08  
  Last winter!  I already had that on TCS so it was easy to grab this morning. 
  I went out and had a better look at things from my yard.  I still can't see the trunk much of the other tree.  I took pictures with phone of the one close to my fence.  You can see a bit of a line going down the tree; but I can't tell if that is a lightning strike (we had one hit SUPER close about a week ago) or if it was there.  Its on the side with the most decay.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OOOOHHH!  I was thinking ya'll were a brave bunch to be playing water stuff in weather like that.  LOL

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

OOOOHHH!  I was thinking ya'll were a brave bunch to be playing water stuff in weather like that.  LOL
Brave or desperate.  Or crazy.  I did hear that somewhere in the US was getting snow today!!  But not here!  It's been ugly hot! 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If lightning struck that close to your house, you would have definitely heard/felt it. Was there ever an amazingly loud boom that shook your house for a long time? Maybe made your power go out or at least flicker? A tree in the park near my house once got hit and I definitely knew about it :lol3:. Otherwise I'd guess the tree was just wind damaged. A lot of evergreens were weakened by this last winter and the storms now just finished them off.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If lightning struck that close to your house, you would have definitely heard/felt it. Was there ever an amazingly loud boom that shook your house for a long time? Maybe made your power go out or at least flicker? A tree in the park near my house once got hit and I definitely knew about it
. Otherwise I'd guess the tree was just wind damaged. A lot of evergreens were weakened by this last winter and the storms now just finished them off.
I suspect wind damage for that tree; but the one farther back with only damage down low I was wondering about lightning as a possibility.  The tree close to my house was alive but not in good shape so wind damage doesn't surprise me.  

We did have a good boom about a week ago that I heard before I saw the flash.  I knew that was close!  Some people around here have those tall, metal TV antenna towers in their yard; my neighbor included.  It's not far from those trees.  I always figured lightning would go for that before the trees.  The tree in the background is the one that looks unusual to me.