lightbulb moment!

jazzygemmy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was just checking out Wag.com, b/c I have a coupon and realized I can feed EVO canned for just a little more than I am paying for Authority canned. If I buy it in the 13oz cans it is actually surprisingly inexpensive. Now, obviously, EVO has a good rep, but is their canned food really that awesome? I really don't mind the ingredients in Authority, well besides the rice, I don't like the addition of rice. However, I keep reading conflicting things about HIGH quality canned food, in that it contains too much fat...or something of that nature. Also, I keep hearing Carrageenan is something I want to avoid...is that true?

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EVO is very good food. Make sure the 13 oz. cans will not go bad before you finish them. You can freeze the food, but give at least 1 day to defrost.

Cats need a high protein, moderate fat and low carb diet, so higher proportions of fat than in your own diet is not necessarily bad.

EVO does have limited flavors, though, so I would keep searching for another brand in addition. Hound and Gatos might be a reasonably priced, high quality food to consider.

Carrageenan is controversial, although it is included in about 70%-80% of canned food. Some cats are allergic to it, but the greater concern is that undegraded carrageenan has been linked to cancer. Degraded forms, which are used in people and cat food, are supposed to be safe, but many people doubt its safety.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hound & Gatos also comes in the larger cans, and I have seen them at my local natural pet store for $1.99 for the 12 or 13oz can which makes it very economical. The only issue is if your cat has a corn allergy since it contains xanthan gum which is derived from corn.

About carrageenan, it's actually the degraded version that's the problem. Here's some info on it. You will have to have to make your own determination if it's safe or not. Cutting out carrageenan leaves very few canned cat foods as options. http://www.cornucopia.org/CornucopiaAnalysisofCarrageenanHealthImpacts042612.pdf

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jazzygemmy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The risk of cancer is enough to steer me away. I read the ingredients on the Authority label and they do not list carrageenan. I'm having a difficult deciding now if it's worth it. I mean, the majority of ingredients in the EVO are probably to superior to Authority, but...

Last edited by a moderator:

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's some carrageenan-free foods:

Hound and Gatos

By Nature Organics - organic and stew line only

Halo stew varieties

Fancy Feast

Tiki Cat

Fussie Cat (some flavors, chicken only, I think)

Weruva

Addiction

There's also a big thread about carrageenan-free foods if you search the site.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's the issue with carrageenan: http://www.notmilk.com/carageenan.html

For kitties with sensitive GI systems, IBD, or IBS, I think it should be avoided. But like most things, I believe that in moderation the risk is limited. So I see no reason not to include the EVO in the food rotation - just don't make it the sole food.

Of course, there are people like otto with kitties that they didn't realize the carrageenan was having an impact until it was removed from the diet: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/254183/since-eliminating-carrageenan-from-her-diet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jazzygemmy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the lists and explaining it a bit more for me :-) I think like you said, there is no reason for me to not add it to my rotation if I am feeding a variety of brands w/o it. How many different brands do you guys feed in any given month? I'm sort of new to the whole canned food idea ;-)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was feeding canned food, I included Nature's Variety, Evo, Weruva, Ziwipeak, some Wellness, Tiki Cat, Earthborn Holistic, some Best Friends Feline.... if I were feeding canned now, I'd include Hound & Gatos and By Nature Organics. To lower the cost, I'd probably include some Fancy Feast.

I make their food now, but the proteins I include for them are chicken, turkey, rabbit, quail, beef, pork, venison and llama.