Lifesaving Surgery Needed For Kitten!

Chester the kitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

My rescued cat had a beautiful litter of three. Unfortunately, one kitty was born with a severe chest deformity called pectus excavatum. This condition leaves little room for his lungs to function and for his heart to function correctly as well. He's always breathing hard, even at rest. This can be fixed via surgery, which is expensive. Otherwise he will die or more likely, have to be euthanized because he will be suffering too much eventually. I have a wonderful home for him, but an desperately trying to raise money for this surgery.
You can see his whole story here:
GoFundMe: Chester the kitten needs surgery and you can see us in action on youtube: Chester kitty needs help

Thank you for reading!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old is the kitten?

There is no live link in your post.

I think you should a) try the cardboard vest, and b) get a second opinion from another vet.

The vest will cause no harm, and keeps the kitten's chest lifted up, making it easier for the kitten to breathe. This helps the kitten's rib cage to grow outward more normally. The sooner you start, the better.

Kitten-sized doses of prednisone may help the breathing as well in the meantime.

I can give instructions and a link for the vest if you'd like. It's flat-chested syndrome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chester the kitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old is the kitten?

There is no live link in your post.

I think you should a) try the cardboard vest, and b) get a second opinion from another vet.

The vest will cause no harm, and keeps the kitten's chest lifted up, making it easier for the kitten to breathe. This helps the kitten's rib cage to grow outward more normally. The sooner you start, the better.

Kitten-sized doses of prednisone may help the breathing as well in the meantime.

I can give instructions and a link for the vest if you'd like. It's flat-chested syndrome.

Three different surgeons confirmed PE, not FCS, unfortunately. In mild PE the vest could work. In this case it won't. The chest plate concaves so severely that I only fear, with the brace, pushing it further inward. In the FCS, you want you make them round and push inward a little. With this, you have to pull it out.