Life Of An Emergency Hospital Vet

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wasn't sure where to post this but just had an eye opener into what an emergency vet goes through and what we don't see and consider when we front up with our animals to the emergency veterinary hospital.
I just clipped a stray dog and knocked him out so picked him up and took him to the emergency hospital..he was OK..just a sore head. Filled out the paperwork etc. and got talking to the vet as they were having a quite day and comparing the difference between the normal vet practice and the hospital. (My niece is a vet so know a bit of their world.)

They see the trivial things like my dog ate the morning paper, my cat cant poop, and their panicking owners but they also see the smashed bodies of cats and dogs and other animals hit by cars and torn up in fights, poisonings, snakebite, abuse and and all the other serious accidents and illnesses that happen. Also the older animals that have come to the end of their time and have collapsed and been brought into the hospital to see if something at the last minute can be done.

The outcomes most times aren't good and the vets have to explain to distraught owners that their loved pet will be crippled for life or need a limb amputated or has no hope and has to be put down.
Of course these vets become the target of the owners grief and anger and get abused and yelled at but they still have the compassion to console the owners when the outburst is over.

I admire these people and they way cope with the trauma of the animals they see and the way they deal with the devastated owners. And the pride when he showed me the wall with emails, cards and drawings from pet owners and their families thanking them for their successes saving their loved pets at the hospital. But there wasn't many.
Its tough for these guys but successes must be extra rewarding
Please treat them nice and remember they aren't just dealing with the injured animal in front of them but with you and your grief as well.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Having been to the Emergency Vet on more than one occasion with our dog and cat I am very grateful to them for taking special care of our pets. :goldstar:

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went to two emergency vet appointments, both for very serious issues that one way or another lead to the cat's deaths. (Actually, I don't know if either vet knew my cats had died. It happened after we left the emergency room. I don't think I can tell them though.)
I never blamed the emergency vet, but I understand why some people would. It's hard losing a pet like that, and emergency vets see that kind of grief and frustration more than anyone.
I want to become one someday. When I moved into this area I didn't realize that the closest animal hospital was an hours drive away, I think the people and pets in this community need something more.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had good experience with our local emergency vet. Once I called and got some reassurance that I wasn't facing a true emergency. They were happy to talk to me for a minute. (With us both understanding that they were giving an opinion without a visual).

The other time Noodles was in heart failure and my vet has Saturday morning hours; but she needed more time than they had. So after seeing them I took Noodles over for a few more tests and treatment. They were very honest about her condition and options. They were upfront about the costs (:thud:Understood but :thud:). But they communicated with me very well so that I could make an informed decision. And I am very thankful that it's been almost 5 years and Noodles is still with us. She's actually next to me begging for food. :lol:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not had very good experience with emergency vets.

I took a cat one time to a Emergency Animal Hospital because she was having difficulty in giving birth. I was told that for 1200 dollars they could perform a C-section on her, thus saving the kittens. I didn't have that kind of money but I told them that I could give them 900 in cash and pay the rest in a check when I got paid in three days. They turned me down flat. For a lofty sum of 300 dollars they said they would watch her but could not assist in helping the kittens. It was late on a Saturday and I had no other choice but to leave her with them.

On Monday morning I rushed her to my vet and by that time three kittens were dead and she was almost there herself. He performed an emergency C-section for 250 dollars and was able to save the last kitten. However, the mother cat was so sick and out of it by that time that she wasn't able to care for the baby. The kitten died later that night from an infection. It was emotionally devastating.

I'm sorry, but where some see valor, I see only greed and heartlessness.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I'm from, most, if not all, our vets work on a rotation as to who is "on call" for ER purposes. The overall care for the animals is the same price except they charge a one time additional fee for the use of ER care. It's kinda the luck of the draw if you get a good vet or not. Luckily, most of the vets around here are at least decent. (except for the one closest to me though! :rolleyes3:)

I remember one time, I had a scheduled appointment for one of my cats. And that day, they got bombarded with serious cases and emergencies. Obviously, my appointment got bumped (quite a bit actually). But I could see the seriousness of the situation on the faces of the technicians and the vets. The one vet kept coming out to apologize and thank me, and the other lady waiting, for our patience. The receptionists called a couple of future appointments telling them about the delays and I could tell that one of them was not very nice about it. At least they got a heads up that the appointment was going to be late, it's not like they were cancelling!
Our vet hospital puts up a sign and a lit candle on the front reception area telling people when and if a family was saying goodbye to their pet, just so that people are aware and respectful of their surroundings.
That sign was out when I showed up for my appointment and was put out twice more while I waited. It was such a sad day in that office, the least I could have done was just be patient as I know they would do the same for me if I ever needed their services right away.