Life Insurance & Other Issues

autumnblueangel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Am I the only one who would have life insurance, with some set aside for the wellbeing of my cats? would you have life insurance willed torwards your pet? What would you want to happen with them if god forbid you died? What steps have you guys taken to ensure that your cats are well looked after once you've gone? Anyone crazier than me? lol

So, Long story...

I found myself laughing the other day, at the commitment my special other has to my cats. I don't know how I do it, with the amount of kitty companions that I have, but I tend to find men who love my cats as much as I do. My ex husband used to help with them, since he allowed me to adopt & keep so many, and then my current special other goes above and beyond to help me care for them, which is appreciated.

I brought up the subject of what would happen if I suddenly died. I'm 25, and hopefully I have many, many years left, but if I died tomorrow, what would happen to my cats? There is no way I want them abandoned to the shelter. I want them to live in luxury for the rest of their lives, and some of them, I don't want separated. Massive feat with so many.

I said to him, I was considering getting a substantial life insurance policy. Half of which would go to him and any kids between us, as well as pay for the funeral, but half of which would be willed to my cats.

Each cat with an equal amount decreed to them in a trust for the rest of their lives. I know my dad would take Jerryn & Keylah, but I would prefer not for that, because they'd be outdoor cats in a woody area, and my cat Malik went missing from my dad's house years ago, so I'd rather a permanent placing for them.

I said to him, he had a choice. He could either take his half and run with it so to speak, or for each cat he kept, he could use their part to look after them + a large property for him and them. I said to him, you don't need to look after them all, it's up to you how many if at all, you would still benefit. He looked at me seriously, and he said "I'd care for them all".

But lets say, he wasn't able to, or he died to, I found out, that my local RSPCA has this FANTASTIC program for pets of deceased loved ones. A large enough donation to them, ensures, that your pet is looked after in a beautiful house, with a beautiful garden, on the RSPCA's property for the rest of their natural lives, with loving carers, who love cats who give as much attention to all the cats they have there. Isn't that fantastic? It gives you peace of mind.

So any other stories to share?

I'm crazy I know, but I love my cats.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband would just keep taking care of Trout. Simple. In our case with one cat, I don't need to will a bunch of money to Trout...it wouldn't be a smart move.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
DS always said that he would take care of our furkids if anything ever happened to us. He got married, though, and his wife doesn't like cats. We realized that would no longer be an option. DS said he'd still take them, but, really, we want the furkids to go with somebody who will truly love them and care for them.

We talked with my brother and SIL, who are avid cat-lovers and, at one time, had four cats; they're now down to one. They have agreed to take our kids into their home, should anything happen. And we've set money aside so that they won't have to to struggle to care for them.

Last year, after our conversation, we revised our wills for the cats.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At your age, unless you have some significant health issues, you should be able to get $500,000 of term insurance (the only way to go) for less than $15/month.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hubby would take care of my kitties. If we both died early in life, my in-laws would take over. Possibly my parents if they had room for anymore (they have 3 now).

We plan on getting life insurance soon, and we do plan on having money allotted for care for the furbabies when we get into all that.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH and I have that taken care of in our will.
If we both die, my parents will get the boys, but if only one of us dies, the other will take care of them. We don't have children yet, so we don't have any stipulations for them.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I come from an animal loving family so should anything happen to us my family would come in and scoop up the cats and keep them in the lifestyle they have grown accustomed to!

But seriously...

I do have life insurance (DH is an insurance salesman so I'm super covered!
) but I know you can leave provision for the care of the animals in your will. Actually I'm reading a book and they talked about that very issue. Unless there are directions given in a will then the next of kin has legal right to do whatever they want with the animal. Even if it is taking it to the shelter. If there is no next of kin then the animals I believe go to a shelter.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

My husband would just keep taking care of Trout. Simple. In our case with one cat, I don't need to will a bunch of money to Trout...it wouldn't be a smart move.
I feel the same way since I just have Autumn but before Misty died I had someone who said they would care for Misty if anything happened to me. The only thing I was worried about was she had multiple cats and they were all declawed. I knew they would declaw Misty too if they took her in and I certainly didn't want that since she was an older cat. Of course it is a moot subject now. Would you let someone take your cat if you knew they would have her declawed or are you ok with that?