Life in pen

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww! Jeanie!!! That's what my dad was, a carpenter. He could have built this thing in his healthier days. Unfortunately, my dad has Alzheimer's Disease (He was diagnosed at 64 and he's only 71 today) .....He was at my house the very day this cage was being built . He was so cute....carpentry was something he was remembering that day and he was really happy to BOSS my husband and brother around from his chair.

Once the cage was done, we were all sitting around in lawn chairs watching the cats explore their new habitat and my dad, grinning, kept repeating, "You better get those dam cats off my job site!" — LOL! Sounds silly but I love when he would get in those happy moods…

Too bad my husband did get to learn anything from my dad—I inherited all of the construction knowledge...but my hubby, well, he can do you taxes and financial planning...LOL!

Here's my cutie-pie Dad in his "work" shirt

>^,,^<
Kim

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kim, first of all...those cats are beautiful and I LOVE the pen!!!! And secondly.....I want to give you a big cyber HUG!!!! I loved the story of how happy your dad was and the dam cats thing was so cute!!! Your dad really is a cutie pie!!!
I went through the same thing with my mom years ago, she got something very close to Alzheimers although they said it wasn't technically that, she just had strokes in her brain that caused her mind to go. So I can relate to how you felt to see your dad so happy, and to remind him of his days as a carpenter!!

What was really spooky though, is that your dad has the same look in his eyes that my mother always had. It is so sad to see them so confused.

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That must be a great memory, Kim! It's so nice to have the kind of memoriy that can give us joy even years later.

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Debby - Thank you for the Cyber hug! I CAUGHT IT! That really is a funny memory for me—had to pass it on. Lately, I have been recalling a lot of great memories because it our first Holiday Season without Dad and.....he quit talking last year. He still whistles, though. <grin>

That blank look is sad - when I visit Dad at the nursing home, all of the Alzheimer's patients have that same look in there eyes. I like to think they are all at peace and what we are really seeing in an Alzheimer's patient is just a shell that happened to out-live their mind and soul. Kind a' like they are already in Heaven.....pretty silly spiritual theory of mine, huh? I just can't stand the thought of these cute little people suffering from this disease—especially when they Know they have it ....so, I try to put my Rose Colored Glasses on when I visit.

>^,,^<
Kim

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Kim!! That is not a silly theory at all!!!! It is EXACTLY what I thought when mom was still alive and her mind was gone. She didn't talk at all for the last 5 years or so she would squeal or giggle(she lived 10 years after her mind went, but only the last five she couldn't talk) and I thought the same thing...that her body was still here, and her new childlike nature...but the "real" mom, the one who raised me, the one I knew, was already in heaven....dancing with the angels and having a great time. I believed that her soul was gone already....up in heaven. But of course I don't really know. If you ever need to talk about it, just PM me....having lived through this, I know how hard it is.

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Debby -- WOW! Your mom sounds a lot like my dad.We both have been down a very similar road. Isn't amazing how healthy they can be after losing their memory? Bless their hearts, that's all I can say!! What really makes it easier for me is having people like you who can relate!! You are such a dear!

Kim

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im glad I can help in some small way. It was one of the hardest things I have ever been through seeing mom lose her mind. When it first started, I went through a period of denial...did you do that too? I'm just curious. I refused to believe that she really was losing her mind....she would say such totally off the wall things and do such odd things and say things she never would have said before...and then when I was alone with her, I can remember saying things like, MOM!! You have got to stop this!!!! Why are you doing this???? Stop acting like this!!! It isn't funny!!! You are scaring us!!! Just stop! PLEASE!!!!!!!
I just could not accept that it was for real and tried to convince myself she was doing things like barking at the dog and saying all those weird things just to get attention....although I knew in my heart it wasn't true...my mom would never have acted that way. Not unless there was something terribly terribly wrong. The worst was when we went to a big gathering in the local town and so many many many of the people my parents and I knew were there...it was an annual party thing they have, a celebration where they have a big pig roast and people get up and sing, etc...(it's a small town) and dad and I weren't watching her as closely as we should have...and I turned around and she was standing there with her pants down. I rushed over and pulled them up...but it still haunts me....my mother was a very proud woman, and very....what's the word...she always did what was right, and was always very aware of what people thought of her...it really mattered to her what people thought, and she always wanted to have a good image and leave a good impression on people...she never cussed a day in her life, never said anything out of line...very self conscious (sp?) and if anyone would have told her before she got sick that she would have done something like that in front of the whole town, she would have just died!!!! She would have rather been dead!!! So that always bothered me...even though I know she didn't know she did it. Not the real mom anyway. Does that make sense?

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh man, do I wish I lived in a house, instead of an apartment. I'd have a pen like that for my boys to play in, in a hot minute.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Kiwideus
That is such a cool pen! I love it! Unfortunately I live in an apartment and I cannot build something like that so poor Peedoodle cannot stay out and play like that

But if I ever move to a house of my own, that is one of the first things I will build!
Same here

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Mom of 10 Cats
Kim, I love the enclosure! I am thinking of building one for the kitties. How hard was this to make?
Hey Sue - It's really easy to build, actually. I would say the hardest thing would be making sure the wood framework is level. The chicken wire is stapled on afterwards...that was fun to do - lol!

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the 2 of us are looking to give it a try. I looked at online photos of enclosures with cats peeking over my shoulders, and the consensus is 60 paws up (15x4) that they want one!

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by WellingtonCats
I love that pen Kim! Also cute kitties!

Cheers.
Thanks Sammy!!

Awwwww! Sue I think the kids would love it... Did I mention that we made 2 outdoor "Potty Boxes" in 2 corners of the enclosure? They go out there more than they go in their litter boxes....

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had figured on getting a covered litterbox or two for in the enclosure. Better that then having them digging a hole!

I want to put a few ramps in there too to higher levels, for the declawed cats to be able to get some elevation.

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What nice is you can customized them to meet all of your cat's needs. We built a continuous ramp up high and a perch in all four corners. Later we threw in a couple of sturdy tree branches. This winter I plan to "re-sisal" the clawing posts, do some land scaping and we may add a couple more ramps....

Here's thier potty areas...

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Kim that's a cool place! i wish I had a safe place for my girls! Maybe I'll make one. I have a big ole back yard I don't use.