Life expectancy and dry food??

jessika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would like to know how long can a cat lived in a tropical weather here? I adopted Smokey in August 1998. I did not met the previous owner who has migrated n left her in the shelter. My neighbor who already had Six cats then when to picked her back. Smokey is a female cat who Never get into fights. I saw her sitting by the window ledge n went to check it out. My neighbor told me Smokey has been bullied by the others so within seconds she was already hand over to me. Not knowing what she eat, I steam whole seabass, fried small fishes But she just looked at it n walked away. So I tried giving her wet food butshe wont eat it But dig the food out of her bowl!! She has been always healthy n seldom visit vet at all. In her prime size she weighed about 22 lbs. Recently she has discharged from her eye so I booked an appointment n brought her to the vet. She was diagnosed with kidney problems n stayed at the pet hospital for 2 days, coz she Did not urine or pass motion. (She has been toilet trained since day 1 when I brought her back. Her reading improved from 5 down to 3.9. I was very concerned as usually she will do her business daily without fail. I insisted to bring her back n when she reached home straight away she limped to the toilet. I think they might had injured her coz she was walking Fine before admitted. Since she had kidney problems, vet told me to feed her with wet food which I know it's tough. I bought more than a dozen of canned food with different flavors, she only nibble a bit with those mixed with vegetables for just two days n refused to eat n drink! I was so desperate n helpless if I should change to another vet or sent her back. Eventually I sent her back n saw how to pulled her hind legs from two nurses n that was the first time she cried. My heart really ached at that point n I held her thight n kissed her hard n told her softly, if u are in pain u just sleep ok? Mimi will always love you. Her temperature was 33.9degree, which I Google search it said that is mild. After her drips she looks ok n she Ate her whole bowl of kidney diet food in front of me when the nurse fed her.I was so happy coz finally she Ate!! So I told her Good girl, tomorrow morning Mimi will bring you back home after your breakfast. The day Never come. She was so sweet n did not want me to worry coz she Ate. I was confident that I could bring her back. But that wasn't the case. Is 15 years old cat strictly on dry biscuits considered a good age? For sure she is definitely more than 15 years old n 4 months. The only promised I made turned out to bring her ashes back..I am sorry ' Smokey'...

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dear Jessika, I am so very sorry for your loss of Smokey. 
 It is so hard to lose them and you had her with you so long. Hopefully, soon, your happy memories of Smokey will become stronger than the pain of her loss. It sounds like she had a long and happy life with you and it's obvious that you loved each other very much. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss.
  15 + years is a pretty good lifespan for a cat on kibble, in my opinion.  I've not had many cats live much longer than that.  Now that I'm feeding differently, I'm hoping I can change that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Susan n Mrs Green. I asked the vet in Singapore, he told me I cannot expect a tropical cat to live beyond 20 years old. The only ' consolation' I get is, at least she did not suffer any longer if she is pain quietly. Coz she Never hide at dark corners. She still goes iinside her basket on that very morning before I sent her to the vet. I really regret that I sent her to the vet where she was treated by vets that just pass out from school. Coz her regular vet was away for two weeks vacation.

jessika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is my darling Smokey. I have no kids though married. She is my Everything coz I got betrayed by my husband few years ago, only Smokey accompanied me through all the hard times, nobody else in my family did.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My heart aches with you. Your sweet Smokey was a beautiful girl and a very good friend to you. It is a great consolation that she did not suffer any longer than necessary and you did your best to help her. That's all we can ever do, just our best. Hold on tight to the love you have for her, you'll never forget her. But when the time is right, don't be afraid to open your heart and home up to another friend.

There is another forum here on TCS called Crossing the Bridge.

http://www.thecatsite.com/f/19/crossing-the-bridge

It's a place where you can share your memories of Smokey and your sadness from her loss with lots of others here that understand how you are feeling. Sometimes it helps knowing that there are others that understand. 

jessika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm sorry I am really new here. I went to the link, but how to post? Actually at 2 pm on 2 nd Dec the vet wanted me to put Smokey to sleep but I refused. Smokey still ate at 7 pm infront of me. I hope they didn't torture her because when I reached there the next day, her teeth were all turned black! I really lost control n kneel down n weep nonstop..

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please don't torture yourself thinking things like that. But do talk to your vet about your concerns when he/she gets back, for your peace of mind. It hurts so much when you lose them, it's hard not to think negative thoughts. I'm glad there is a stray visiting you. Maybe he just came to let you know how much you are needed.

If you want to post in the other forum, click on that small blue bar that says "Start New Thread". It's towards the top of the page, just under the words "Crossing The Bridge".

jessika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No the stray was here since last year. Garfield fights with Every cat, except Smokey, which I wonder why. But she damaged furniture n open up my food, Smokey will never do that. Here is a pics of Garfield getting Fat lol.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can see why you call her Garfield.
 She's got a really pretty coat (and a cute little plump belly). Does she scratch the furniture? Maybe a scratch box would help to keep her from doing that.

jessika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a scratch post actually belongs to Smokey but Smokey never use it n that's why she need to go n let the vet get it done. Actually Garfield was tiny when I found it. I also not sure if it's a queen or Tom lol.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Going by her "belly picture", she looks like a queen to me. 
  What do you think @Mrsgreenjeens ?

I guess she's not spayed that you know of? It's surprising that she hasn't brought you some kittens. Do you think she's at least 8 months old? If she's not spayed, that could be one reason why she fights with the other cats. Queens can be quite aggressive when they are in heat. Then again, some cats just don't like other cats.

jessika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Susan, I really don't know n have yet to bring Garfield to Smokey usual vet, as the in/ out pet hospital bills are rather expensive here. Almost cost 4 years of Smokey's dry biscuits!! Here is another photo of Smokey. The Last shot I took after she had her dinner.

jessika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I Really thought she can go home comparing to the photo I took at home before sending to vet. I have no courage to ask why her teeth turned black. What ever the answer given, can't bring my darling back...

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Going by her "belly picture", she looks like a queen to me. 
  What do you think @Mrsgreenjeens ?
I'm terrible at sexing cats
.  But whatever Garfield is, he/she is quite handsome/beautiful.  I want an orange cat next

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Garfield looks like a female from the photo :D

Gorgeous cat I would love to see more photos of her :nod:

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think that I could resist that belly! Maybe she would let you trim her claws so they wouldn't hurt so badly when she was in your lap and kneaded you.