Licking your face?

nakoruru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
pouncer licks my face too, lol. and tries to groom my hair, but it's really too long for her to groom all the way to the ends. that tongue really hurts after a few minutes of hard licking. :p a lot of the time she's just finished eating, so i have to shove her off and say, "ew, kittyfood breath".

it's not just affection- cats like salty things, and your face is salty, so they enjoy the taste as well. lol.

helzb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I have two kittens and one licks loads whilst the other only licks a little bit. Was worried that they were lacking in something but am really pleased to read its just affection. Feel mean for pushing them away sometimes, but its not always nice when you are trying to do something!!

sumosmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Probably not related to licking their humans!
, but just between cats, I think grooming can be a sign of dominance, as well as a sign of loving contentedness among "family" members. Our girl cat Geisha is always trying to groom Kuri, the new baby boy, but he usually doesn't like it and tries to get away from her, although sometimes he gives in and just sits there and lets her groom his face (like when he's "given up").

My friend's cats are also like this, even though they are littermates. The sister grooms the brother, and she is also a few pounds bigger than him. He lets her, but sometimes he gets upset and tries to turn his head and walk away so she can't groom him. Another friend's mother cat grooms the daughter cat, but never vice versa.

horatio

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Wesley wud lick my cheek once in a while n Speed wud only do my nose... i guessed it is one of the natural way for a cat to show affection to his/her owner

kimay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have two cats also, they groom each other, but only one seems to want to groom us. He will start in the early am with me, licking inner elbow, ears, eyes, fingers then he bites my fingers until it hurts so bad I push him away,after a few nudges away from me, he starts on my husband, but usually only licks his armpitts!!! Then he starts all over with me again! What can you do except love them for their unique activities!!?>?
Originally Posted by MusicTeacher

Cats groom each other, and us. My cats lick my face, hands, and arms all the time. It actually hurts occaisonally because of their sand paper tongues but I find it endearing.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a little girl, I had a cat that loved to lick my face. One night, she went one step further. I was sound asleep and she started sucking my cheek, very hard. It hurt like the dickens and she had to be pried off my face! She was banished from my room for awhile until she learned that behavior was unacceptable

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Karma just licked my face for the first time a few days ago. Now she does it first thing in the morning to say hello and also when I get home. She only did it for a few minutes on the cheek and than gave me a love nip but it was wonderful. She was purring the whole time. I've only had her about a month so I can't wait for more.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, I get a full facial exfoliation pretty much every night.

Just think...some people pay a few hundred dollars for this privilege...I get it for free and I don't even have to get out of bed!

yangdemei

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by semiferal

Yup, I get a full facial exfoliation pretty much every night.

Just think...some people pay a few hundred dollars for this privilege...I get it for free and I don't even have to get out of bed!
Yep that's now what I'm thinking as Mitts is doing this very persistently every morning.

I'll let everyone know if my skin improves over the next month!