Licking Lips And Sore Nose

Kresta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we have a 5 yr old female and recently got a new kitten two weeks ago . Last week the older kitty started licking her mouth and her nose became red and sore and she lost her meow :( she has been eating and drinking and using the litter box . Last night I noticed her drooling a bit and we took her to the vet this morning and he thinks it’s all dud to the new kitten . She has made herself hoarse due to hissing . Now this afternoon I noticed she hasn’t used the litter box but is still eating and drinking .... any suggestions on how I can help her with this ?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: I'm glad you joined the forum and came here for support. Also glad you brought your adult cat to the vet to rule out any health related problems. Since the vet felt it is due to the new kitten I thought this Article which discusses reducing stress in cats might be helpful for you:
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

And since we do not know how the cat and kitten were introduced I thought you might be interested in this Article:
Introducing Cats To Cats

Best of luck, please keep us posted on your progress. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kresta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: I'm glad you joined the forum and came here for support. Also glad you brought your adult cat to the vet to rule out any health related problems. Since the vet felt it is due to the new kitten I thought this Article which discusses reducing stress in cats might be helpful for you:

And since we do not know how the cat and kitten were introduced I thought you might be interested in this Article:
Introducing Cats To Cats

Introducing Cats To Cats

Thank you !

Kresta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much :) the kitten was introduced through separate rooms a little at a time , they were fine so we let them meet in the living room, there was some hissing but that stopped after s few days . They played and cuddles for a few days then this started . I noticed the older cat did not want to play , the hissing increased , I noticed her nose was red and I assumed a scratch but the vet says no , then she lost her meow , so after a week we took her in and he checked her mouth, teeth , throat , temperature , heartbeat etc and said he couldn’t find anything , that his opinion was she was hoarse due to hissing and suspected the red sore nose to stress as well . Same d if it wasn’t gone or she got worse to bring her back in two weeks . So today I found some D stress drops to try and someone said to wipe the kitten down with a cloth then gently wipe the cat down with the same cloth .. so I will try this to . She seems interested in the kitten at times just when the kitten gets rough she hisses ... guess time will tell .

Kresta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s the next thing I am going to try , I live near London Ontario Canada so my local stores didn’t have this , so I will order it on line .