Licking bald spots raw HELP!!

Jewlayy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my 3 year old cat for has had this issue for about a year where she starts licking all over her body, mainly belly, sides, back legs, and occasionally under the chin. She licks and grooms so much, it’s raw and turns into skin infection. I’ve been taking her to the vet about every 2-3 months for a steroid shot and antibiotics. I brought up to the vet I wanted to try to fix the problem instead of giving her steroid shots every few months since it’s essentially a bandaid to the real problem and I’m worried about long term effects it could have on her. She’s on the hills sensitive skin and digestive food already. I was given 2 options of trying 1ml Prozac for anxiety or doing prescription diet, both for 2 months to see which helps. I choice the Prozac as I thought she may anxiety as she’s a very high strung cat, and she already gets gabapentin for stressful situations. Gave her the Prozac for a week and she was completely different, she literally didn’t do anything but lay down and sleep. Didn’t eat, hardly used the bathroom and wanted nothing to do with me or my fiancé. She usually sleeps with us and is very vocal. I feel like she resented me too since it was an oral med and she’s very difficult to administer medication. I stopped it after a week since she was so different and slowly became herself again but after 3 days she started licking her armpit again and it’s noticeably bald. All other spots are growing in great.

Going to call the vet tomorrow to see what they recommend but wanting to see if anyone has had a similar situation.. should I try the prescription diet next or ask for a different route to administer the medicine or a different medication completely?
I’m just frustrated and it’s getting so expensive and I just want her to get better and not get into these cycles anymore.

Thanks so much in advance!

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could it be a sensitivity to your Laundry Detergent, or maybe the Litter you use?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jewlayy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used a chemical free like 4 ingredient laundry soap form this soap place called buff city and I’ve used the same litter since she’s a kitten and it’s low dust.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You could talk to your Vet about a different anti-anxiety medication, AND a different way to give it. Drugs can be compounded in different forms, chews, liquids that you add to their food, transdermal gels that you rub in their ear, or injections that you can give in their scruff. We usually choose the injections because if you can do them while petting them, they typically don't even notice since the needles used are teeny tiny. BE sure to let your Vet know how she reacted to what she was prescribed before.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you seek out another vet, maybe a veterinary dermatologist? If not, your vet has the ability to contact a veterinary school or any vet hospital for a courtesy consult.

She’s on the hills sensitive skin and digestive food already. I was given 2 options of trying 1ml Prozac for anxiety or doing prescription diet, both for 2 months to see which helps.
I don't think it would hurt to look at diet again. Even prescription hydrolyzed diets can have some ingredient that may trigger a reaction. It may not necessary be the protein. It could be some filler ingredient, which many prescription diets are full of. Is the Hills Sensitive Skin food dry or canned? Dry food in general have more fillers that could cause reactions. You could try a novel protein limited ingredient diet in canned if that's possible. Some brands:

BLUE Basics® Limited Ingredient Cat Food | Blue Buffalo
Limited Ingredient Diet - Grain Free Cat | Merrick Pet Care
Shop all Cat
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet | Instinct Pet Food
Minimally Processed Natural Cat Food Archives | RAWZ
www.naturalbalanceinc.com
Fresh & Natural Cat Food - Hound & Gatos

Stick with a single protein for at least 13 weeks or so. So if you choose rabbit, feed only that. Don't feed anything else during the food trial. If symptoms get worse during the food trial, obviously stop and consult with the vet.

I used a chemical free like 4 ingredient laundry soap form this soap place called buff city and I’ve used the same litter since she’s a kitten and it’s low dust.
Cats can develop environmental allergies over time. Sometime products change formulas, no matter how slight, or source ingredients from different suppliers and those can suddenly cause a reaction.

What do you use to clean the home? Household cleaners can possible cause skin reactions to cats. The odor can be super irritating and residue can cause skin irritation.

Do you use scented candles or fragrances in the home? Cook with strong spices / fragrant sauces? Ok, odd one but cats can have the strangest reaction to things. Goat milk causes one of my cats to develop bald spots on his legs and seafood flavored pet toothpaste gives him bald spots on his head :dunno:

dixielittle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my 3 year old cat for has had this issue for about a year where she starts licking all over her body, mainly belly, sides, back legs, and occasionally under the chin. She licks and grooms so much, it’s raw and turns into skin infection. I’ve been taking her to the vet about every 2-3 months for a steroid shot and antibiotics. I brought up to the vet I wanted to try to fix the problem instead of giving her steroid shots every few months since it’s essentially a bandaid to the real problem and I’m worried about long term effects it could have on her. She’s on the hills sensitive skin and digestive food already. I was given 2 options of trying 1ml Prozac for anxiety or doing prescription diet, both for 2 months to see which helps. I choice the Prozac as I thought she may anxiety as she’s a very high strung cat, and she already gets gabapentin for stressful situations. Gave her the Prozac for a week and she was completely different, she literally didn’t do anything but lay down and sleep. Didn’t eat, hardly used the bathroom and wanted nothing to do with me or my fiancé. She usually sleeps with us and is very vocal. I feel like she resented me too since it was an oral med and she’s very difficult to administer medication. I stopped it after a week since she was so different and slowly became herself again but after 3 days she started licking her armpit again and it’s noticeably bald. All other spots are growing in great.

Going to call the vet tomorrow to see what they recommend but wanting to see if anyone has had a similar situation.. should I try the prescription diet next or ask for a different route to administer the medicine or a different medication completely?
I’m just frustrated and it’s getting so expensive and I just want her to get better and not get into these cycles anymore.

Thanks so much in advance!
Can you seek out another vet, maybe a veterinary dermatologist? If not, your vet has the ability to contact a veterinary school or any vet hospital for a courtesy consult.

I don't think it would hurt to look at diet again. Even prescription hydrolyzed diets can have some ingredient that may trigger a reaction. It may not necessary be the protein. It could be some filler ingredient, which many prescription diets are full of. Is the Hills Sensitive Skin food dry or canned? Dry food in general have more fillers that could cause reactions. You could try a novel protein limited ingredient diet in canned if that's possible. Some brands:

BLUE Basics® Limited Ingredient Cat Food | Blue Buffalo
Limited Ingredient Diet - Grain Free Cat | Merrick Pet Care
Shop all Cat
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet | Instinct Pet Food
Minimally Processed Natural Cat Food Archives | RAWZ
www.naturalbalanceinc.com
Fresh & Natural Cat Food - Hound & Gatos

Stick with a single protein for at least 13 weeks or so. So if you choose rabbit, feed only that. Don't feed anything else during the food trial. If symptoms get worse during the food trial, obviously stop and consult with the vet.

Cats can develop environmental allergies over time. Sometime products change formulas, no matter how slight, or source ingredients from different suppliers and those can suddenly cause a reaction.

What do you use to clean the home? Household cleaners can possible cause skin reactions to cats. The odor can be super irritating and residue can cause skin irritation.

Do you use scented candles or fragrances in the home? Cook with strong spices / fragrant sauces? Ok, odd one but cats can have the strangest reaction to things. Goat milk causes one of my cats to develop bald spots on his legs and seafood flavored pet toothpaste gives him bald spots on his head :dunno:
You can get any med as a transdermal that you rub in the ear. Talk to your vet. If it is allergies, switch to royal canin hydrolecized protein. I have the same issue but my cat is much worse and I have a multi pet household. Good luck.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw I'm sorry to hear about your kitty's issues.
If it helps, my boy Sonny started doing the same thing when he turned 7. We wracked our brains for months trying to find a way to help him - it was similar, licking and chewing until he was BARE. He had absolutely no fur on his entire stomach, back legs, and part of his back. Finally we figured out he developed a severe skin allergy to dust!! We started him on an allergy medicine and within the next few weeks the licking and chewing stopped, and he was back to growing beautiful orange fur.
Hopefully you can figure out what's happening, and poor kitty can get some relief soon!! ❤