Lianna, your new show cat?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on the possible new addition, he's gorgeous

Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I surely hope not.

Passing on your buddy - just because he doesn't act right in the show rings..........

Jacky, Cleo is a CAT they are not predictible and don't do everything you want. It's NOT her fault - she's clearly not enjoying herself. Please do not blame her for "acting bad". Some cats don't enjoy shows.
I agree, just so wrong to rehome for that reason.

Also, I know it's upsetting to have a cat act up when you really want to participate in the hobby but it's not their fault and their needs should come first if they are that unhappy leave them home.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just a few suggestions to you, Jacky. . .

Don't put Cleo in a position where she has to wait a long time to be judged. Let the clerk know that you will bring her up as the judge gets closer to the class. This way, she doesn't have time to become upset with the other cats.

You can also request space between her cage and the other cats. You will want to write a note to the ring clerks at the beginning of the show.

Finally, some cats become upset when they are placed in the corner cage. They are eye to eye with a cat next to them, and this can be upsetting. Avoiding this spot is another good reason for requesting empty cages to each side of Cleo.

You might want to check the rules for end-of-season awards in your region. Cleo might be eligible for someting

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks
I think i will ask the clerks about her being away from the other cats because she acts better in the finals when there are not many cats near here.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mother and I are in 'negotiations'
about accommodations with which she will allow three cats in the house. She wants to convert the garage to a cat room where the cats can hang out during the day while we are at work and at night they will hang out and sleep with us.

At the very least a window and air conditioner will be put in for the animals. We will probably have to add insulation. What is the cheapest and safest (for the cats, that is) way to make a garage cat friendly.

Also, I threw in the idea of a cat fence for the cats to have roaming room.

What do you breeders think of the above ideas (including Nial, assuming that he reads this)?

Mom is still suggesting that I give Top Cat to her coworkers aunt (first it was sister - Mom doesn't like him as much because of his biting habits - he likes to nip). I told her I don't feel comfortable with the idea and told her that there are plenty of ways three cats can exist. I bought her an air purifier that is supposed to do the whole house at the last cat show (wasn't cheap either) and told her that it should help a lot.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
update, sounds like the garage idea is the best bet. I was going to go with the fence, but I remember that we have a pool and even with a pool cover, I don't trust that a cat will try to go underneath it and, well... I won't even type out the rest - you all know what I mean. A cousin of mine actually lost her dog this way, last year I think. It was mentioned that she had nightmares because of it. So that won't be an option unless sometime in the far future I want to spend a lot on a fence just to go around the pool AND cat proof it (we all know a regular fence is nothing to a cat).

I actually asked her if with the renovated garage, I could have three cats. She actually said yes tonight. It is hard for this woman to say yes to anything like this. She is the type that sees through every trick.
We are going to have someone we know do it for cheap - at least the insulation and the window for now. It will be done in late January/early February (tax refund/school refund season). I told her that we can put the extra cat in my brother's room for now (brother has said several times he won't mind the bengal plus mom wants to kick him out anyway - yay extra room!) and she's sorta agreeing but not willing to confirm this part right away because I caught her late at night (can't help it if that's when the best ideas hit
). Once I do I will PM Nial to make arrangements to meet the cat next month at the show. Hopefully, I can PM him tomorrow with the good news. (I'm getting closer, Nial!)

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know you want the Bengal from Nial.
Bengals are so easy to show.
My Aunt lost her dog in a pool also years ago.
You really have to be careful with pools.
Do you have a furnace or water heater in the garage?
If you be careful of the fumes.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

You know you want the Bengal from Nial.
Bengals are so easy to show.
My Aunt lost her dog in a pool also years ago.
You really have to be careful with pools.
Do you have a furnace or water heater in the garage?
If you be careful of the fumes.
We have neither - just the water heater and the heat/air unit in the house, whatever kind it is. In this part of the south, hot weather is the worst, so air conditioning is the priority. However, it does get below freezing sometimes in the winter, so we will probably buy something for that. Any recommendations on cat safe heating? We had something for my uncle's cats when they lived in our garage, but if I recall it would turn off after a certain amount of time.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what is safe.
I am not very trusting of any heaters because they can cause fires.
What about when it is hot in summer?
Will there be a way to cool the cats.
Our garage gets very hot even when is not over 100.
They have heated beds for cats but I am scared to buy them even though they would be great for my sphynxs.
We have the heater in the house also.
Do you have a washer and dryer in the garage?
If so be very careful I have heard of cats going into them.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I have no idea what is safe.
I am not very trusting of any heaters because they can cause fires.
What about when it is hot in summer?
Will there be a way to cool the cats.
Our garage gets very hot even when is not over 100.
They have heated beds for cats but I am scared to buy them even though they would be great for my sphynxs.
We have the heater in the house also.
Do you have a washer and dryer in the garage?
If so be very careful I have heard of cats going into them.
We will buy the window air conditioner (actually I have promised to pay for this crap
). And there is supposed to be insulation put in as well.

The washer and dryer is in the house as well. I am paranoid about the cats going in there and scold Luna every time she goes in the laundry room. We try to keep the door closed, but it is a folded type door that Luna is really good at opening.

As for the beds, Foster and Smith sells self heating beds that uses the cat's own body heat. I will probably buy at least one of those if they stay in there in addition to finding a reliable heating source for the entire area.