Liam, diarrhea, and canned cat food

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Liam has really loose, sticky stools and his foster mom says he's always had them. She was giving him fancy feast, which he loves, but I've switched him to Hill's Science Biome, which seems to have fixed the issue. Trouble is, he hates it. (He's also a little chubby, but I don't want him to starve.) He's eating it, but I don't want him to be miserable. I read in a review for Biome, of all places, that Fancy Feast Naturals is a good alternative to Biome. I was thinking I'd try that. I've also been giving him FortiFlora once a day, but that wasn't doing it all of its own.

Has anyone else heard that Fancy Feast Naturals help with diarrhea? He's had his stools checked and everything is okay, so I assume it's his gut bacteria health and not enough fiber? It's a shame the Biome is so yucky because it does seem to work.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The only thing I would know to try is to compare the ingredients in Hill's Science Biome vs. Fancy Feast - both what he was eating before and the Naturals - and see what the differences are. You could also try mixing them and see what happens with his stool.

The other thing to consider is using S. boulardii for the gut health perspective, and as a preventative measure for loose stools. The bacteria in Forti Flora is just not enough to take care of gut health, but it is a great flavor enhancer for some cats.
The benefits of using S. Boulardii for cats– FullBucket Health

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. The only thing I would know to try is to compare the ingredients in Hill's Science Biome vs. Fancy Feast - both what he was eating before and the Naturals - and see what the differences are. You could also try mixing them and see what happens with his stool.

The other thing to consider is using S. boulardii for the gut health perspective, and as a preventative measure for loose stools. The bacteria in Forti Flora is just not enough to take care of gut health, but it is a great flavor enhancer for some cats.
The benefits of using S. Boulardii for cats– FullBucket Health
Just ordered a bottle. Thanks!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me know what he thinks of Fancy Feast Naturals. I may end up trying this with Betty. She's gotten pudgy on Hills I/D (the prescription form of their Biome food.) I ran FF Naturals through a carb calculator and it's coming up far less carby than I/D. When Betty is done with pred in a couple of weeks, I'll run this food past her. It looks very similar to the I/D except without the rice that I've always hated about I/D and Biome. I was thinking I might try Gravy Lovers with her. But I like this recipe better.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read different things about fiber helping with diaheria. Ff has 7% fiber dry matter in the turkey&giblets which is a lot.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh crap!

I just took another look at the Fancy Feast Naturals (not Classics) and that has carrageenan and xanthan gum. I was willing to overlook the added oil and wheat gluten (my girl wants her gravy), but carrageenan is a red line for me. Xanthan gum is more of a brown line. 💩 It doesn't affect all cats. But I'd rather not try it with Betty if we don't have to.

To the original poster, the added oil and the xanthan gum could make diarrhea worse. He might do better on the Fancy Feast Classics line or a simpler food like Mouser or Rawz. Both are available by the can (and the case) from Incredible Pets:
Search: 10 results found for "mouser" - Incredible Pets

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat liked classics but not naturalls, I'm glad about that! can't imagine giving my cat tomato paste but if it helps go for it!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat liked classics but not naturalls, I'm glad about that! can't imagine giving my cat tomato paste but if it helps go for it!
It's used as a thickener and gum replacement.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Let me know what he thinks of Fancy Feast Naturals. I may end up trying this with Betty. She's gotten pudgy on Hills I/D (the prescription form of their Biome food.) I ran FF Naturals through a carb calculator and it's coming up far less carby than I/D. When Betty is done with pred in a couple of weeks, I'll run this food past her. It looks very similar to the I/D except without the rice that I've always hated about I/D and Biome. I was thinking I might try Gravy Lovers with her. But I like this recipe better.
So far, so good. He scarfs it up! I might put my others on it, too, if you think it looks more nutritious. Benjamin is on regular adult Hills and isn't wild about it. Timothy was on Purina OM and between that and his hyper thyroid, he's lost the weight he needed to lose. Man, that stuff is expensive.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh crap!

I just took another look at the Fancy Feast Naturals (not Classics) and that has carrageenan and xanthan gum. I was willing to overlook the added oil and wheat gluten (my girl wants her gravy), but carrageenan is a red line for me. Xanthan gum is more of a brown line. 💩 It doesn't affect all cats. But I'd rather not try it with Betty if we don't have to.

To the original poster, the added oil and the xanthan gum could make diarrhea worse. He might do better on the Fancy Feast Classics line or a simpler food like Mouser or Rawz. Both are available by the can (and the case) from Incredible Pets:
Search: 10 results found for "mouser" - Incredible Pets
What is carrageenan?

My vet said if FF Naturals doesn't work, maybe try venison or duck. What's funny is that he STARTED on FF Classics and loved it, but he was having intermittent diarrhea. I have high hopes for this new probiotic. I started him on it last night.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is carrageenan?

My vet said if FF Naturals doesn't work, maybe try venison or duck. What's funny is that he STARTED on FF Classics and loved it, but he was having intermittent diarrhea. I have high hopes for this new probiotic. I started him on it last night.
Carrageenan is a gum. It’s been known to irritate the gut. However, it also appears that some cats are more affected than others.

If the new food works, let it ride for some time and give him a break from his ails before possibly looking for another food. I’m not crazy about the Naturals with two potential problem gums and added oil. But if it works and he enjoys it, sometimes that’s more important.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The new probiotic, is that s. boulardii? Is it on its own or bundled with other probiotics? On its own, it should be given twice a day to achieve a better steady state since it does not colonize the gut like bacteria probiotics. If it is bundled with other probiotics, once a day is probably more appropriate. Prebiotics like FOS and MOS are safe for twice a day dosing.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The new probiotic, is that s. boulardii? Is it on its own or bundled with other probiotics? On its own, it should be given twice a day to achieve a better steady state since it does not colonize the gut like bacteria probiotics. If it is bundled with other probiotics, once a day is probably more appropriate. Prebiotics like FOS and MOS are safe for twice a day dosing.
This is all I could find and I started it last night.

DrFormulas Nexabiotic Probiotics for Cats Powder | Treats Diarrhea for Pets with Saccharomyces Boulardii Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Best Probiotics Supplement for Digestive Health 30 Capsule Amazon.com

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is all I could find and I started it last night.

DrFormulas Nexabiotic Probiotics for Cats Powder | Treats Diarrhea for Pets with Saccharomyces Boulardii Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Best Probiotics Supplement for Digestive Health 30 Capsule Amazon.com
I don't think that should be doubled up (e.g. twice a day.) Give that one a shot per its instructions. I like that one because it's already formulated for a cat. If it's working, stick with it.

If it you want to try s. boulardii on its own, this is the recommended brand:
Amazon.com

The downside of using this brand is that it's a human preparation. You are not going to pop that pill into a cat. Many cats like the yeasty taste of s. boulardii and you may get away with putting it in a treat or his food. Otherwise, you can get a capsule filling machine and repack them into size 4 capsules. That's about 1/4 capsule per size 4. This is what I do. Betty does not like the taste of SB. But she will happily take any capsules I can dip into Hills A/D and drop on the carpet for her. Once a month I turn about a dozen human sized Jarrows into 50 cat-sized capsules. It takes me about 20 minutes.

Capsule filling machine:
Manual capsule filler for 50 capsules of size 4,3,2,1 respectively

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know a lot of people on here are against prescription food, but Smudge eats Purina Veterinary EN - Gastroenteric kibble. He eats wet food too, but his EN kibble gives him healthy poo. I stopped it once and he went right back to mushy poo. I also have to keep him away from chicken, which upsets his tummy. He eats a lot of tuna/salmon wet food (which I know a lot of folks on here are also anti fish) but it works for us. Seafood is much easier on his tummy than chicken. (And he always tries to get his sisters chicken)! But every time I cave, he gets an upset tummy

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think that should be doubled up (e.g. twice a day.) Give that one a shot per its instructions. I like that one because it's already formulated for a cat. If it's working, stick with it.

If it you want to try s. boulardii on its own, this is the recommended brand:
Amazon.com

The downside of using this brand is that it's a human preparation. You are not going to pop that pill into a cat. Many cats like the yeasty taste of s. boulardii and you may get away with putting it in a treat or his food. Otherwise, you can get a capsule filling machine and repack them into size 4 capsules. That's about 1/4 capsule per size 4. This is what I do. Betty does not like the taste of SB. But she will happily take any capsules I can dip into Hills A/D and drop on the carpet for her. Once a month I turn about a dozen human sized Jarrows into 50 cat-sized capsules. It takes me about 20 minutes.

Capsule filling machine:
Manual capsule filler for 50 capsules of size 4,3,2,1 respectively
Are the pills big? I give my cat a tablet of prednisolone every night. Drop it in her mouth by hand dipped in churu

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are the pills big? I give my cat a tablet of prednisolone every night. Drop it in her mouth by hand dipped in churu
The Jarrow pills? They are huge. Even for a human size. Probably a size 00 capsule. Smaller number, bigger capsule. You don’t want to give the full amount anyway. It’s a human pill. If you’re lucky, your cat is one who enjoys the yeasty taste and you can simply open it into their food. About 1/4 capsule twice a day is a good everyday dose. You can get those pinch, dash, smidgen measuring spoons (all smaller than 1/8 tsp.) I think 1/4 pill was the middle spoon. I don’t remember. But that’s simple enough to figure out. My last cat, Krista loved the stuff! Betty doesn’t like the taste. So for her, I got a capsule filling machine and fill up size 4 capsules. These are approximately 1/4 or 1/5 as it takes about 10 to 12 of the big capsules to fill up 50 of the size 4’s. These are the second smallest capsule size. You can’t find size 5 filling machines because the FDA or DEA regulates them. I guess that smallest size is used for illicit drugs. But size 4 and even size 3 is something a cat can take comfortably. Especially if you teach them to take them themselves by dipping and dropping—dip in Churo and drop on the carpet or a towel or something textured that discourages the lick and flick. Lick and flick is where they lick the treat off and flick the pill away. That happens with a smooth surface like a plate or floor. I spend a little time each week cutting Betty’s pills and packing into capsules. And once a month I convert the Jarrows into smaller Betty doses. But in return, Betty cannot make it any easier than she does to get capsules in her. 😸👍

skylerlark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cat just went through bout of chronic diarreah and course of antibiotics. He has CKD so present vet very cautious about which one to give. Improved but then would only sniff food and lost weight. Vet said to mix 1 quarter of Hale's Syrup (the red one) to water and syringe. Immediate improvement. However, I gave him some cat mousse and it went straight through him, again. The fault is obviously wet food (first bout was after renal wet food). Vet said not to bother with the wet as he's on subQ anyway. However, former vet recommended a brand of probiotics named Mitomax. I vaguely remember trying it before, for what escapes me but that vet was supplement happy so I threw the lot out.

Anyone tried it? I don't seem to remember it doing anything last time. Very limited choice in my locale but any generic brand names most welcome.