Letting Timid Cat Out for the First Time

nacho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a very timid cat called Nanook, he is now 9 months old.

I have spent the last few months working on solving his semi-feral nature and creating a strong bond with him.

Now he follows me around like a shadow and just wants constant loving and petting.

I got him micro chipped the other day as I really want to let him out to explore the garden.  We are on a 2 acre section so he will have plenty of space to run around and find new things.

Because he is so timid  (hides when anyone else enters the house), I feel a bit nervous about letting him out.

Just after some advice really, as all my other cats have been confident and brave.

Will he be ok out there?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you have to I wouldn't let him out unless he wants to. If he is that timid he might scare into running and get lost. Do you have a fenced in area he could explore, that would be the safest. He might be happiest right in your house. You could leave your door open and watch what he does, he might never leave the porch. With all the dangers outside, unless you can be with him, I don't think it is worth it. I just lost two kittens (feral) to an owl, another to a passing dog. Be very careful, you just don't know what is out there.

Last edited:

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why don't you get a harness and long leash take him for long walks, as another poster here does? No, he may not be ok. Feral cats are part of a colony, so there's safety in numbers. Single cats have no such protection, I don't know why people don't take that into account. He might run away, get bitten or eaten by an animal, eat something that could kill him, have an owl or hawk make off with him... Get hit by a car. Get any number of diseases from the soil (worms), get heart worm...get ticks or fleas (and bring them back to the house).

Enjoy your kitty....there are any number of members here who come here crying because there cat disappeared. Don't be one of them!

Last edited:

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If your kitty is that nervous, I wouldn't risk it!

Personally, I walk my cat on a harness and leash, and she loves it! She's been an indoor cat her entire life, and there are moments when she gets nervous, indoors and outdoors. It's mostly outdoor nervousness, which is why I don't dare let her out on her own. Cars passing by, people walking on the side walk, and neighbours being outside in their yards makes her nervous and at times she'll run back to the door to be let back in.

If your kitty is showing signs of nervousness, then I wouldn't let him out. Best to be safe than sorry! Just my opinion though :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I just want to repeat what the other posters have said. He's much safer indoors and if he's happy there why risk letting him out? Indoor cats live much longer than cats with outdoor access do.