letting indoor cats go outside?

madpiano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But a cat is a pet, and not a prisoner ?

I hate seeing cats locked up in cages and houses. Yes, we can try to prevent any possible accident happening to our pets and kids, but by doing so we create much bigger problems. We now have a genration of overweight kids which are being driven everywhere, so nothing ever happens to them, we lock our cats up indoors and need Feliway, declawing or softpaws to cope with them.

Yes, cats can live indoors and have a caged outdoor enclosure. Just like a human prison with daily access to the outdoor yard.....And anyone remember their childhood as being supervised by their parents 24/7 ? Or was it more like being out with your friends on your bikes with no parent in sight ?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by madpiano

But a cat is a pet, and not a prisoner ?

I hate seeing cats locked up in cages and houses. Yes, we can try to prevent any possible accident happening to our pets and kids, but by doing so we create much bigger problems. We now have a genration of overweight kids which are being driven everywhere, so nothing ever happens to them, we lock our cats up indoors and need Feliway, declawing or softpaws to cope with them.

Yes, cats can live indoors and have a caged outdoor enclosure. Just like a human prison with daily access to the outdoor yard.....And anyone remember their childhood as being supervised by their parents 24/7 ? Or was it more like being out with your friends on your bikes with no parent in sight ?
I don't think its like they are prisoners at all..some cats never even know about the outside of the home, and they are perfectly happy being indoors all the time.
Cats are not like humans..they are not going to realize it if they don't get to go outside if they have never been outside. I don't think that is a fair comparison.
It's fine to think that they should be able to do what they want and just let them outside on their own. But you have to accept that they could be in danger outside..and it is just simply if you want your cat to be safe or not.

It's ALWAYS okay to protect those you love from danger. A 14 year old kid is going to know better than to run in the street or eat antifreeze..a cat will not know better.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Certainly there are risks with a kitty going outside - here in the UK the approach to living with kitties is different to that in the US. It is very unusual for kitties to be indoor only unless they are purebred show or breeding kitties. In fact, the shelters here will not approve a family to adopt a kitty unless they can provide it with adequate access to the outdoors for the kitty to go outside when it wants/needs too.

I have a mix of kitties here, two indoor only and three indoor/outdoor girls. All our previous cats have been indoor/outdoor and all lived to a good age, passing away naturally at the end of their lives. We do have fewer health risks to kitties here than in the US or continental Europe as well. No dangerous predators like coyotes or raccoons and rabies is virtually unheard of. Other illnesses are regularly vaccinated against.

I think much of this discussion results from the cultural differences between different countries

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MAdPiano - letting your cats out at night is the worst thing to do, the risks are greater to them then, esp if you have a dark coloured cat. Most rescue contracts state that you will keep them in after dark due to the risks.
I do disagree that outdoor cats can live as indoors with no probs. I have a cat who was a stray for 3 years, and there is no way he could be an indoor only cat. Even after an op for a dental and lump removal he wanted to go out within hours of coming home, but due to stitches, I made him stay in for 10 days and he was so depressed. Doesnt help that he no longer likes litter trays.
Fliss - more and more people are either having indoor only cats, or cat proofing. I am a member of a UK only forum, and it is becoming more and more common, although a lot of the people have done it after losing a cat to the road.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats used to go outside daytime only. Last summer My 10 year old tiggy who usually stays right in the yard or in back of the house in the wooded area. went outside one day a few hours later when I called for him and called and hunted I never ever found him or what happened to him. I live on a private road no cars no dogs running loose. And he always came in well before dusk. I will never let a cat outside to free roam again.Things happen outside that would not inside. Cats can and do live happy well adjusted safer lives inside.