Letting cat outside

esanders323

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been considering letting my cat outside on my balcony. She was a stray and constantly wants out. She bolts outside the second I open the door, and if she sees anyone on the balcony, she cries till they come in. I've let her out on the balcony (with my supervision) a few times and she loves it every time, which I know only makes her want to go out more. I was thinking about getting a cat enclosure like the following http://www.petco.com/product/112203/ABO-Gear-Happy-Habitat-Cat-Tent.aspx

What makes me nervous is the amount she will want to go out if I begin to let her do it frequently. I know she will want to go out at times, and having her in the enclosure won't be much of a problem, bu having her want out every day all day would be a problem.

Any suggestions on this being a good idea or bad idea?

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good idea, but keep in mind that outside is not a substitute for playtime and interaction from you. It should complement, not replace. If your cat enjoys being outside, then a supervised visit in the outdoors or a cage enclosure is a really awesome thing to do. Be sure to observe safety methods such as leash training (not necessary if the enclosure is fortified) and possible dangers from ingesting random things outside, which I'm sure you already know about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

esanders323

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Good idea, but keep in mind that outside is not a substitute for playtime and interaction from you. It should complement, not replace. If your cat enjoys being outside, then a supervised visit in the outdoors or a cage enclosure is a really awesome thing to do. Be sure to observe safety methods such as leash training (not necessary if the enclosure is fortified) and possible dangers from ingesting random things outside, which I'm sure you already know about.
I agree, I wouldn't substitute it at all. As for her safety, the enclosure is full enclosed, and I would be sure to keep fresh water out there. The balcony also is completely covered. I might go ahead and give it a shot, my biggest concern is her whining at the door all day to go out all the time. I suppose if that does happen, then I'll have to stop letting her out.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I agree, I wouldn't substitute it at all. As for her safety, the enclosure is full enclosed, and I would be sure to keep fresh water out there. The balcony also is completely covered. I might go ahead and give it a shot, my biggest concern is her whining at the door all day to go out all the time. I suppose if that does happen, then I'll have to stop letting her out.
If she gets enough stimulation inside, that'll reduce the chances that she would want to go out since she would decide that it's equally fun being inside.

Is she spayed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

esanders323

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

If she gets enough stimulation inside, that'll reduce the chances that she would want to go out since she would decide that it's equally fun being inside.

Is she spayed?
Yes she is spayed.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Then I do believe she'll be equally happy indoors with all the love, toys and cuddles.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We've got a balcony secured with cat net, and Mogli is the second cat to use it. Whining or scratching at the door hasn't been a problem. Weather allowing, the door is open when we're home and closed when we're not. Mogli was only allowed out there under supervision his first year with us because he climbed, but he readily accepted that he didn't have constant access.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have that tent and my cats love it.  I also have 2 tunnels and a tower (no balcony, a yard)  I have it connected to a cat flap in a window so the cats can go in and out and I lock the door when it gets dark. Someday I'll have a real catio.  My cats actually have times they want to be out, first thing in the morning when it's cool and late afternoon when it's cooling off.  Fluffy likes to hang out with my DH when he comes home for lunch and eats on the patio.  

I think you'll be able to set up a routine time for the cat to use the tunnel.  Also my cats prefer to be around people so are out more it someone is in the yard.  I also have bird feeders nearby.