Let's Talk Music!!

mamasquishy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am bored and trying to get to know everyone a bit better. So what kind of music does everyone like and why? If your like me this question can turn into a conversation lasting for hours lol...

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
Right now I listen to a little bit of everything, really.

Especially The Beatles, Radiohead, Bjork, Beastie Boys, Genesis, Peter Gabriel...

However, when I'm studying (especially if I'm trying to cover some annoying background noises), I like to listen to Classical music. I really don't know much about classical music but so far all I have are a few cds of Glenn Gould (usually playing Bach). Very good!

I am also determined to learn more about Jazz as well as African and South American music... but I really don't know where to start. Except that maybe I should finish watching Ken Burn's "Jazz" documentaries.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It'd be easier to say what kinds I don't like.

I don't like opera (going to the opera I enjoy, but can't stand them recorded).
I don't like country (except a very small selection of the old stuff)

I listen to and enjoy everything else.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My absolute all-time, hands-down favorite is Bob Dylan. I have almost every album (not the cheesy 80s ones), several books and DVD's, and also Biograph and Desire on vinyl. And about 300 posters. Well, not 300 but two just in my bedroom, one a very beautiful hand-done print that my friend brought me back from London.

Favorite bands: Currently, I'm really into Guster and KT Tunstall. But I like lots and lots of stuff, from Ravi Shankar to System of a Down to Dixie Chicks to Beck.

Zissou says she likes Opera.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm all over the place with music, into just about anything except gospel. My faves are Southern rock, bluegrass (Nickel Creek, Dixie Chicks), jam bands (DMB is my fave), and Broadway showtunes. Yup, random.
Zissou's Mom- I saw Dylan last year here in Savannah. He's incredible!

agent_haun

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like a bit of everything, excluding most rap and country music.

My favorite band is Coheed and Cambria, but I like Enya and and classical stuff too.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most people know I'm the resident Kiss fan. I love Kiss, Poison, Great White, and that sort of music. I am primairly a hard rock, heavy metal fan, but I also like some show tunes and Broadway musicals. I also like Big Band music from the 1930's and 40's. I'm not much of a fan of Country music, in fact about the only County I can tolerate is Shania Twain, the rest of it makes me want to howl like a hound dog.

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love alternative rock, and since I'm Hispanic I love Spanish music. My favorites are Salsa, Merengue and Bachata.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

It'd be easier to say what kinds I don't like.

I don't like opera (going to the opera I enjoy, but can't stand them recorded).
I don't like country (except a very small selection of the old stuff)

I listen to and enjoy everything else.
That pretty much sums me up also. My favorite band ever? The Who

I have noticed that the cats really dislike Pink Floyd for some reason. I put that on and most of them run and hide.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mamasquishy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As for myself, I love Classic rock and southern Rock the best. The Beatles (RIP John Oko Lennon And George Harrison) have to be my absolute favorite band of all times.I also love Pink Floyd (rip Syd Barrett)This would be easier to do............
Top 10 Classic/Southern Rock/Rock
1.The Beatles
2.Pink Floyd
3.Lynard Skynard
4.Marshall Tucker
5.Aerosmith
6.Janis Joplin
7.The Greatful Dead
8.The Doors
9.Eric Clapton
10.James Taylor

As for the rest of it it will take me a few minutes to sort thru.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's odd how many cats hate Pink Floyd. Zissou hid the whole time I watched the Wall a few months ago. And Live In Pompeii, not a big fan of that either. Honestly, it even makes me feel weird, but I still love it.

I have seen Neil Young in concert, and it was one of the best things in my life. I have also seen Carole King, that was awesome too, with 3rd row seats! And some other random bands, local bands, etc. Never seen Bob Dylan. I just can't do it. I would probably pass out, plus he is notorious for being on-again-off-again and I don't want to see him on an "off" night like at Bonaroo that one year...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mamasquishy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Concerts are awesome I have seen sooooo many awesome bands. My first concert (asides from Southern Gospel)was Aerosmith when I was 17. It was the nine lives tour....Steven tyler kicks butt. Who else have I seen? I have seen Three Doors Down, Our Lady Peace, Fuel, Filter, Tonic, Jurassic 5, Nelly, Live, Shawn Colvin, Wynona, The Beachboys, John Anderson, Chris cagle, Brian McComas, I met and saw Rascal Flatts. That was awesome!!!!!!!!!Tracy Lawrence, and a couple more I may not remeber. oops.

crys12065

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love Aerosmith. Steven Tyler is awesome. I got to meet the band and sing a song with Steven Tyler a few years ago and I will never forget it!!! I sang Pink with him during the sound check for the concert and he was very nice, the whole band was great.

My other favorite band is Matchbox Twenty (but Rob Thomas punked out and no more band
)

Other than that I listen to pretty much anything, I have gotten into Idie lately. I like chick music to like Tori Amos, Sarah MacLaughlin and Dido.

No classical though it makes me sleepy.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Music is one of my passions. OK, obsessions really. I know way too much useless information about music I like.
Being a teen in the 80s made my obsessions run in the rock/metal categories, and obviously the 80s rock/metal bands. I've seen too many concerts to list. In the 80s metal scene, it would almost be easier to say who I haven't seen (Def Leppard and Bon Jovi are the big two I haven't seen).

My favorite band ever is Nine Inch Nails. I have the NIN from Sin (Halo 5) tattooed on my leg (incorporated with the RS from Rosetta Stone's Adrenaline, one of my other favorite bands). Trent Reznor is a god. It's a religious experience for me to see him live - which I have 4 times (Downward Spiral, Nails/Bowie, warm up tour for With Teeth, and the arena tour for With Teeth), and I'm even in the Hurt video (you can see my arms
).

I really like most music as long as it's honest. About the only music I just can't get into is rap. I purposely listen to rock/metal, some punk, country, techno remixes (The Beat for those with Sirius), goth, industrial, darkwave, some classical but not enough to really appreciate it... Yeah, I'm a music-aholic!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MamaSquishy, you and I are pretty close. I'd have to say Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Allman Brothers (I'm going to see on Sept 1), Lynard Skynard, and through my 14 year old son, the Doors, AC/DC, Twisted Sister.

The funny thing is I'm a classical musician. So for that I'd have to say Germans and Russians - Beethoven, Brahms, Rachmaninov, Tchaikowsky, Barber, Stravinsky - mostly 19th & 20th century composers.

I also am learning to play the banjo, but know next to nothing about bluegrass.

sailfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I listen to classic rock in the car and at work sometimes. Every once in a while I'll go out on a limb and listen to some off the wall type of music and try and expand the scope. Anybody ever Listen to Vanesa Mae or Yo-Yo MA?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sailfish

I listen to classic rock in the car and at work sometimes. Every once in a while I'll go out on a limb and listen to some off the wall type of music and try and expand the scope. Anybody ever Listen to Vanesa Mae or Yo-Yo MA?
I have had the honor of seeing Yo-Yo Ma live. If you get a chance go, he honestly put me in tears.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up on Southern Rock, and still love it. I took my daughter to her first concert a few years ago, Lynrd Skynrd. I like some of the new breed of Southern rockers, like Drive-By Truckers, and Nine Pound Hammer. Dan Baird is just the best!
I really love punk, mostly Social Distortion, and am crazy about Mike Ness's (Social D's lead singer) 2 solo albums, both rockabilly.
I like Swing Music, old and new, Rockabilly and Psychobilly. Brian Setzer, The Reverand Horton Heat, Southern Culture On The Skids, Junior Brown, Webb Wilder and the Nash Vegans just to name a few.
I love classic rock, like Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Black Sabbath, and classic country like Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Patsy Cline.
I love blues, mostly Robert Cray, Johnny Lang, Buddy Guy, B.B. King, Omar And The Howlers. Jimi Hendrix had some blues recordings that were just amazing. And of course we can't forget Stevie Ray and Jimmy Vaughn.
Some random others I love to listen to are Robert Earle Keen, Guy Clark, Lucinda Williams, Cowboy Junkies, Steve Earl, Emmylou Harris, Kris Kristofferson. There are just so many!
I don't know a lot about classical music, but I listen to a lot of it while studying, relaxing, and doing massages.
I absolutely hate rap, hip hop, pop and about 90% of this noise that they call country music now. I wish the Dixie Chicks would shut up, go away and take Shania Twain with them!
Gee, I'm rambling, maybe I should finish my coffee before I start posting.