Let's talk litter boxes!

chii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What litter does everyone use?
What's your "cleaning routine" do you dump the litter periodically? Clean it twice a day? Once a week?

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I either use scoopaway or kroger clumping. I have two boxes one regular one large. I scoop once a day and bf does too so it gets done twice a day. I clean the box when the litter starts getting rough looking I just let it dwindle down and the empty it. I wash with hot water and dawn then rinse with vinegar. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awesome! Sounds about the same routine with mine, my fiance and i both clean the boxes. One of my boxes is an over sized box, the other is an automatic box... the automatic one surprisingly needs more cleaning to do.

what vinegar do you use? We use vinegar too (for everything) we use apple cider vinegar!

Thanks for the comment!

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use the white I buy it buy the gallon. One to clean boxes and when I bath them I rinse them in it. I read once it cuts down on fleas idk if its true. They dont get bathed as much since they are a little older and dont make as much of a mess as when they were little. 

elliot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are two litterboxes for Arya. I'm still experimenting with litter, but my mom bought 40 lbs of clumping litter from Sam's Club (not sure of the brand) and it works the best for her. I also add some baking soda to her litterboxes.

The boxes get scooped once or twice a day. They are fully cleaned every 2-3 weeks. All of the litter is dumped out. Then, I wash the boxes with water and Dawn soap, hose it down with water, and then dry it off with paper towels. Refill litter (2-3 inches) and baking soda and it's good to go. And of course, Arya poops in them as soon as I bring them inside.

junglecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use the TidyCat Breeze system. So far, it seems to be working for my cat. I change the pad once a week (wash the tray) and the pellets every 4 weeks (wash the tray and litter pan).

junglecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I should clarify. I change the pad once a week and wash the tray once a week when I change the pad. I change the pellets once a month and when I change the pellets, I wash everything: the tray and the pan. [emoji]9786[/emoji]

sassychic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have used Dr Elseys in the blue bag and now I'm using SoPhresh (from petco). I bought it on a whim.  My cat doesn't seem to care about type of litter. 

I scoop 1-2x a day. 2x is always better.

I use the jumbo disposable litter box inside of a storage bin. It gets tossed every 4-6 weeks. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
3 cats, 5 litter boxes. Right now we are using Tidy Cats. We also use Dr Elsey's, Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal, Cat's Pride and Fresh Step Extreme. The cats aren't picky about litter. The only clumping clay litter I've tried and didn't like was the Tractor Supply Company's Paws & Claws. I was incredibly dusty. I scoop once a day and do a dump & scrub of the boxes once a month.

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like Purina Maxx scoop, the best so far for Macha and Mia. I scoop each time they use :-)

I change the litter twice a week and wash the box with Lysol disinfectant and I will rinse it well.

Last edited:

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use clumping clay litter, but will be switching after reading about some of the potential health drawbacks to it.

I scoop the box a minimum of 2x a day and often up to 3 or 4 times a day as needed. We have 3 cats in an 858 square foot house, so it requires pretty vigorous maintenance.

I add litter if the level is getting too low and when the litter starts looking funky, I replace it and clean the box with dish soap and hot water.

Last edited:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use one scoopfree ultra litterbox for two cats. I know, im breaking the litterbox rules but it works for us in my small 1 bedroom apt. I do mix the litter around everyday. I wipe the exterior all over with lysol wipes and put a new tray of crysyal litter every two weeks. I would not be able to have more than one cat if i could only have a regular manual litterbox.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use one scoopfree ultra litterbox for two cats. I know, im breaking the litterbox rules but it works for us in my small 1 bedroom apt. I do mix the litter around everyday. I wipe the exterior all over with lysol wipes and put a new tray of crysyal litter every two weeks. I would not be able to have more than one cat if i could only have a regular manual litterbox.
Whatever works for all of you is the right way to go. Lilith and Sophie shared a litterbox for over a year with no issues. When I got Henry, I got a box to put in his safe room. A couple of months later, I had to go out of town for a couple of days so I got extra boxes. 2 more for the girls to get to the 1 per cat plus one extra and I got another for Henry. They ended up liking having all those boxes that I just kept them. Henry's out of his safe room and they all use the 5 boxes.

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 2 female cats and 2 large litter boxes. I'm currently using Worlds Best Cat Litter in lavender scent. I scoop once a day and dump the whole thing out every 3 weeks. When I dump it out I wash it out with Dawn and bleach rinsing it outside with the water hose. I dry the boxes with paper towels and refill them 3 inches deep.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty has two boxes, one under the lavatory in the bathroom, and one in the walk-in closet.  She likes privacy.  Her favorite litter is FreshResults, which pleases me, because it's so inexpensive, but it also has extremely good clumping ability.  And it smells good.  And it weighs next to nothing, and between my heart and lungs, and my arthritis, anything that weighs less when I'm lugging up a flight of stairs is a good thing. 

I scoop daily, although sometimes the closet box doesn't need it, and do a full change every two weeks.  I used to do it weekly, but with the PureFresh, every two weeks is fine. 

I do worry about using a corn litter,,,not that she eats it, but if corn is what she's allergic to, I'm going to go through torments finding another litter that she likes...you should have seen all the bags I had to get rid of because she wouldn't deign to set paw in their contents.  Hekitty votes for litter with her bottom.  If it isn't nice on the paws, the fanny is NOT going in that box.

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats and 2 boxes. One is an extra large 60cm by 50cm box with a removable rim, the other is a cheap plastic storage box from the local store. I prefer the litter box, they prefer the storage box.

One box contains Max's coprice litter (made from rice and grain) which I adore but I can't be positive it isn't bothering my boy's allergies, although my vet said that was least likely to be his problem, the other has Cat Luxe which is a semi clumping sawdust. This one is the cats favourite.

I think I've tried every kind of litter out there. Various types of clay (from granules to sand) all which made a horrendous mess of my wooden floor boards and had a smell (some like pee, some like poop) almost as soon as they use it, crystals which my kitten tried to eat and I figured if they hurt my feet to stand on they must hurt kitty paws, paper which smelled and wasn't very absorbent (and didn't cover poops at all!) and pressed pine pellets which also didn't cover poop so my boy dug them everywhere (and looked very unimpressed every time he used them).

I generally poop scoop twice a day (more often if I'm home and they've pooped a lot that day) and remove pee's and poops and do a full change about once a week, although I'm thinking it could go a bit longer after reading this thread. It's costing us a fortune this way!