Let's talk about bathing cats.....

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO, try to get what you can with a baby wipe, add water to it if necessary. I sometimes do this if their butt or feet aren't spotless.

If thats not good enough, then wash the dirty part, so for feet I just use shallow water and wash just the feet, to much meowing "why me" protest nevertheless. Mine definitely do NOT like running water, so I just make sure the sink is clean and have it filled with warm but not at all hot water well in advance of bringing them in and shutting the door so they know there is no possibility of escape from the small bathroom. I just use a nice fluffy towel, which usually turns earlier protest into purring, heh!

Furminator on occasion (pretty religiously use it on Tuesdays) and square finishing brush (do that one real quick daily or every other day) make the coat look clean and shiny, and kitties will spend a third of their day washing themselves regularly, so not a fan of full baths for mine.

I might do it once a year (have not yet) and would just be sure to avoid the head and use a proper cat shampoo so as not to strip them of essential oils and dry out the skin.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I don't bathe my cats and have never, except in exceptional circumstances such as a diarrhea mess. Cats are self cleaning.

I don't think cats need to be bathed and I think in most cases it causes unnecessary stress to the cat.

The only reason for bathing is if the cat gets into something toxic or too much of something for her/him to wash it off on their own.

To control dander, daily brushing and daily wiping down the fur with a damp cloth is enough, immersion bathing is not needed.

Bathing dries the skin, stripping oils and causes stress.
I'm totally with Otto on this.

AC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Oh my goodness - Shelly and Shareena ARE a good match!
This is exactly what Shelly would do - except Shel climbed up Gary's back (using his nails), and launched himself off of Gary's shoulder, up and out of the shower stall! (There's about a 6" gap at the top of the door).

We've never used a hair dryer on them, and only towel dry them.

At one of our vets, they have a grooming salon. I don't remember why, but one year when we took all of them in for their annuals at once, we decided to have them all bathed. We dropped everyone off in the morning, and came back to meet the vet and pick them up.

They were washing Lazlo.
Turns out this was his fourth bath. They kept trying to use the hair dryer on him, and he kept pissing himself! I did manage to control my temper, and I pushed Gary out of there before he could flip out, but I suggested to them with as much control as I could muster, that if a cat is scared of the hair dryer, they NOT CONTINUE TO PURSUE USING IT.
I asked them to just towel dry him, and we'd take him like that.

That was the last time anyone had a bath, in fact, and I still feel really guilty about it.
Yes, I would have been quite angry too if I saw the groomers were doing that. We have a great place not too far from my home called the Enchanted Cat and they do this de-waxing process on the cats coats. It is an interesting concept and you can google :The Enchanted Cat, Richmond, Illinois, I have not ever used them but they come very highly recommended. I would be worried about dropping my cats off.

I have heard of the furminator and seen it at Petsmart, they sell it. I will pick one up. All my cats like brushing except Perkins, we are working on it.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These are all great suggestions/ideas about how to bathe cats and I appreciate all the opinions about whether to do it or not. I have some new options now to consider!!!

twobananaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh, forgot to mention that twice a year we take them in for professional grooming, since they're both fluffy-ish longhair kitties, mainly to get the "pro" furmination (all the fancy shampoos and stuff), to get their paw pads trimmed up and their backsides, to prevent the dingleberries. We've never had a bad experience with our groomers, if they have a problem they call us and reschedule for another day. Saki hates dogs, so the groomer knows to schedule her for a quiet day, and not one with tons of dogs.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by twobananaz

oh, forgot to mention that twice a year we take them in for professional grooming, since they're both fluffy-ish longhair kitties, mainly to get the "pro" furmination (all the fancy shampoos and stuff), to get their paw pads trimmed up and their backsides, to prevent the dingleberries. We've never had a bad experience with our groomers, if they have a problem they call us and reschedule for another day. Saki hates dogs, so the groomer knows to schedule her for a quiet day, and not one with tons of dogs.
That is the nice thing about the Enchanted Cat - NO DOGS ALLOWED> I am considering using them for grooming at least. They also board cats in HUGE cat enclosures. I never been there but the website shows a bunch of pictures. Might have to check it out.

HEE HEE the dingleberries.... Magilla is my one long-haired and I will have to trim her pants soon too.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

I have heard of the furminator and seen it at Petsmart, they sell it. I will pick one up. All my cats like brushing except Perkins, we are working on it.
My petsmart sells it.... for about four times the price I got it at Amazon. Amazon prices change, but I'd pick it up online.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/FURminato...uct/B000PU31MY

^ On Amazon at one point it was $16, so I'd just setup a price alert and pick it up when it drops back down (its at $30 right now unfortunately).

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

My petsmart sells it.... for about four times the price I got it at Amazon. Amazon prices change, but I'd pick it up online.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/FURminato...uct/B000PU31MY

^ On Amazon at one point it was $16, so I'd just setup a price alert and pick it up when it drops back down (its at $30 right now unfortunately).
Yep, you are right, I googled furminator on amazon, lots cheaper there!! Thanks!!! Can't wait to get it and furminate away

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I never bathe my 3. The only time they get a wet wipe is on their bums if theres some poop stuck to their fur, but that's very rare. Other than that it's just a good brush every couple of days
This is me too! It's pretty rare that I need to pull out a wipe, but I do when necessary. Otherwise, they keep themselves very clean.

david's steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never bathed my 3 indoor only kittehs, in 12 yrs. they have cleaned themselves just fine, and all smell fresh like daisies and sunshine

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never bathed my current cats. But I once had a white cat I got as a kitten, and I bathed him once a week. He actually liked it! I think if you start when they are little, they learn to at least tolerate it.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a shower with a door there is a gentler way to bathe your cat. Bring the cat, two buckets of warm water, a sponge and a bottle of cat shampoo into the shower and shut the door. DO NOT TURN ON THE SHOWER. Sit down on the floor and give the cat a minute to explore. Dip the sponge in bucket, wring it out well and use it to stroke the cat. Continue, allowing the spong to get a little wetter each time until the cat has also gotten thoroughly wet. As long as the cat is being stroked and not held down, they are usually fine with getting wet. Put shampoo on your hands and stroke them all over. Once they are shampooed, use the sponge and the second bucket of water to rinse the cat by dipping the spong in the water and running it over the cat.

This method takes longer because you need to take time to wet and rinse the cat, but is far less traumatic on the cat and they really don't object or get too upset so long as you don't try to pour water on them or hold them down. I've used it a number of times with older cats with grooming/back end issues and it works wonderfully.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Susan!! I do have a shower with a door and this sounds like a much better way than how I used to bath Pipsqueak, in the kitchen sink and sprayer. This way sounds like a gentle approach and I will try it!!!