Let's start a petition

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^ It wasn't your post so much as everyones. And that's the way it would be - if allowed a deduction where would it stop? Would fish keepers get to claim every single one of their fish? (keeping saltwater aquariums is rather pricey after all). What about ranchers or dairy farmers? Just imagine filing for a few hundred head of cattle!

I have 20 reptiles alone, some of the members on here have 25-30 pets or more combined. What about the insects I keep to feed them - I spend $40-60 at a time for supplies to make their food. It'd simply never work no matter how much money we do have to spend.
I think that limiting it to companion animals would be appropriate.
Cattle ranchers already get their perks in the farm bill, although I think that back East ranchers don't get the breaks that the Western ranchers get - our ranchers pay bottom dollar on public use land and don't have to pay taxes (I used to date an Arkansas rancher - well, he called himself a farmer, but out here, a farmer grows crops and a rancher raises livestock).
Maybe we could just get a tax break on the animal supplies, such as feed, litter, medical care - like we do at the feedstore for chicken & livestock feed.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

I think that limiting it to companion animals would be appropriate.
So my reptiles are not companion animals? and neither are birds, rabbits, or rodents (very commonly kept pets).
I think bird owners would get very touchy if anyone suggested that their birds couldn't show the same affection towards them that a cat or dog would - I remember at least one person on here mentioning their budgie regurgitating food for them. That doesn't sound very nice, but from a bird that's like an ultimate sign of devotion.

Though I agree, a tax break would be fair enough.