let's hope not

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I am so sorry you got laid off....I wish I could say something to make you feel better, but I'm sure I can't, just know we care and we are all here for you to talk to, and I will send out good thoughts that you will soon get an even better job!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, to be honest, I don't want to stick around for another 6months ..... if it is true, you can ask for a VSP instead of taking the buyout, so I think I will ask about that.

THere are quite a few jobs out there in the paper, that sound good, so maybe I will get lucky. There is a city job paying between $29,000 - $35,000 for a police records technician, so I think I will try out for that, too. As for my hubby, no, he stays...... he got to come home w/ me, though.

jin & spawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really don't know what to say, but I wanted to let you know that I hope everything works out for you, and I'm praying you get the job that's perfect for you!

sunlion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's always really shocking when you get laid off, but it sounds like you're starting to get your head together. If the package is good, I'd be tempted to take the severance and look for a new job. You'd have all day to look for work, and it doesn't sound like it would take too long for you to find something. Plus you might end up with a few extra dollars in the bank if the severance is good enough. It could work to your advantage. But it must feel really horrible and weird right now.

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't expect it to be me though. When we came in, there was rumor that 4 operators and a bunch of techs were let go. I called hubby and told him I hoped it wasnt going to be one of us, and then he had heard from the previous shift, that they were letting go of the bays that just had 1 person. Well, I was the only one in my bay since mid-November. So, when my supervisor called me and told me to meet him in the breakroom, I knew something wasn't right. I called hubby & started crying & he told me to be strong. Well, when the plant operations manager came in & put the slides up, I had tears going down my face, and then I stopped. You dont want others to see you crying, ya know? Then, they started getting ready to hand out our schedule for the new plant, and I started bawling, so the HR lady asked me if I wanted to go upstairs, and I said yes. You see, they have screwed us over, royally: we only have 1 car .....
I have to be at orientation on Monday @ 5:45am! Nights one, which is what hubby works, is 6-6 .... So, now I have to call the person who I am supposed to meet on Monday tomorrow to tell them what's going on: i'm going to be late getting there, and I have to leave early for hubby to get to work on-time!

I hope it works out ok -- hopefully, I won't have to be there for long ........ but, I just want to
still.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tigger
Is there any possibility that either you or your husband could ride to and from work with a co-worker? That would help with the transportation problem, and maybe riding a city bus back and forth is another option.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tigger, I am so sorry that you have lost your job. I deal with unemployed people everyday in my job and I know how difficult it is. All I can suggest is to take a few days before you make a decision on what you are going to do. If you get the package, will it be lump sum, or will they continue to pay you for the 6 months (if it is lump sum there is normal more taxes taken off). In your Orientation, find out if you stay with the company and work out the remainder of the time, will they provided with outsourcing services (help with resumes, job finding, training, etc). Don't forget to call that number I posted earlier in the site to find out what type of State benefits you may be entitled to. I you want to discuss anything, e-mail or pm me as I am well versed in unemployment, for the end of helping people find employemnt.

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ady,
Well, if I choose to stay til the buyout, it will probably equal to about $6,000, but then tax that, too ....... Ya, some will say, stay, but I really don't want to after all the lying they have done to us. They told us a week before Christmas, we would all be fine, and look what happened. I am going to see if I can still get a voluntary severance packaged ...... if they offer one......

Lorie,
No, we don't have anyone who lives out by our way
I tried paging the person I am supposed to meet tomorrow (guessing a supervisor), and no call-back! So, now what the heck am I supposed to do?