Let's exchange info on our cats' names!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, all! So many darling, humorous & unique names - I'd love to hear the stories!
I know that this post isn't unique, but there are so many new kittens here, I'm sure we'll all enjoy some very interesting stories!!
AS for my crew:
CINDER CONE (aka Cindy) - she was rescued at Coso Junction/Cinder Cone rest area
ICY - named by my grandson after a real "hottie" blond girl on a game show
JOEY - a manx kitten whose long legs reminded me of a baby kangaroo
J.C. - my daughter named him after J.C. Chasez
SANDIE - the first six letters from San Diego, where she was found straying.
What about yours? Thanks for participating!! Susan

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fred-named for Freddie Krueger because of his huge claws. He was kind of a scraggly little thing when we got him, not the cutest kitten I had ever seen, but he stole my heart. He was my first cat. He is now 17 years old.

Pearl-A beautiful, white luminous kitty. Also the name of Janis Joplin's hard rockin alter ego. I am a huge JJ fan, and at the time we were naming all our kitties music related names.

Pepper-We thought she was a boy, and was a stinky little thing because she was injured and would fall back in her poops in the litter box, so she was Pepe' Le Pew. When we discovered she was a girl we changed it to Pepper.

Scooter aka Poot-Named for characters in Ron White's "They Call Me Tater Salad." I think my s/o was drunk when he named this one.

My RB kitty Leo-He was born on Leo Fender's birthday, and by that date made him a Leo. When I looked to my Cornell Book Of Cats to see what I could do for a sickly kitty over night, it fell open to Leonardo Da Vinci's quote "The smallest feline is a masterpiece." He was a very small feline, but we could already tell if we could pull him through, he would be beautiful. He was the biggest, prettiest cat I ever had. 22 lbs. of red tabby sweetness.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I adopted my furkids, when they were 6 weeks old, from a newspaper ad. They were free babies. I lived with my little maniacs for about a week, got to know them...then one day, their names just came to me.

I love their names, because I love them so much.

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my dear beloved Bushee- as i was told was one of those "schooshy wooshy bushee wooshooy booo"
Brandie- my mom named after a band on her arm...."bandie....bRandie!"
Baby- my mom named, i protested very strongly thinking well when shes old she wont be a baby anymore!
Baylee- i declaired that it had to start with a "b" and end with an "ee" sound...my mom really chose the name though.
hmmm i guess not to much say about names in this house

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here are my cats, living and deceased in order of when I got them, age 2 to present:

Christmas Tinsel, Tinsel for short. Mom and I adopted her around Christmas time and she was gray and white. She wasn't the most playful cat but still loving. One of her favorite things to do was dip her paw in my mothers wine glass when she wasn't looking.
My aunt and cousins also adopted her brother Heithcliff.

Morning Glory, Glor or Beans for short. Mom and I adopted her when I was in the 4th grade. She was born Memorial Day weekend, which means if she was still with us her birthday would be comming up. Beans came about because she was very jumpy and Mom used to say she looked like she was full of jumping beans. Glory was my best friend. My kitty soul mate.

Tiger, no nickname although Queen Bee would have done. She came into my life when my mother re-married and became a cherished friend. She was very loving to anyone. She also had extra toes. When she had kittens one of them did, my step-father still regrets not keeping him.

Bunny. We adopted Bunny at about age 3 from the SPCA. She has been the best cat. She mothered our kitten and is the most loving and sensitive cat. She filled the void in our home after my other cats had passed. We also found that her name probably came because she does hop when she is attacking something. She will sit on top of her toys and hop up and down. She is chubby too...maybe she's trying to squish them!

Pumpkin was adopted just 3 days before Bunny. He was about 1lb or less. He had been premature. He is a sweet boy. Bunny Mommied him to health when he was sick. She taught him so much.

Mooch and Noodles. These 2 are my new babies and the first living on my own. They are named after my favorite comic strip and beginning to match thier names some. Mooch is mischeaveous and Noodles is very sweet. She took the longest to warm up to me, but now she sleeps in my lap!

christygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is Christy Ashley, a calico long hair. I called her Christy Ashley because Christy and Ashley were girls at my school and were nice to me. Christy is nice, too!

Originally Posted by catsknowme

Hi, all! So many darling, humorous & unique names - I'd love to hear the stories!
I know that this post isn't unique, but there are so many new kittens here, I'm sure we'll all enjoy some very interesting stories!!
AS for my crew:
CINDER CONE (aka Cindy) - she was rescued at Coso Junction/Cinder Cone rest area
ICY - named by my grandson after a real "hottie" blond girl on a game show
JOEY - a manx kitten whose long legs reminded me of a baby kangaroo
J.C. - my daughter named him after J.C. Chasez
SANDIE - the first six letters from San Diego, where she was found straying.
What about yours? Thanks for participating!! Susan

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Squirt doesn't really have a story behind his name, but it did take me forever to decide upon it.

Joey was named before he even made it home. His back legs looked like a kangaroo's, and since a baby kangaroo is called a joey, he had his name.

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Finnegan was picked because john is irish and is obsessed withe the dropkick murphys they have the song finnegans wake

shadow my mom named... i wanted him to be merlin

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaz named herself after 2 days of being home with me, she was, and still is, quite a spaz.

Shadow is my fiance's cat, as a kitten, he would follow him around everywhere, he was his shadow.

Trouble is a bit deceptive, he's not exactly always into trouble, but he seems to find the biggest/loudest/messiest trouble to get into.

Vash was named after the main character in the anime, Trigun, Vash the Stampede.
The anime character is good hearted and loveable, abhors violence, but finds himself in many sticky situations where fighting is necessary, leaving a wake of destruction.
It fit our Vash perfectly.

Cassi came to us as Cassiopeia, too darned long a name, so she's just Cassi now.

Ivory came to us with her name as well, apparently whoever named her is not familiar with how dark most color pointed cats get.
I just call her my little bug.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a preggers kitty last April, and called her "kitty", because I was sure she belonged to someone and they would claim her. Kitty became "Miss Kitty", so when she had 4 kittens they were named after Gunsmoke characters. We decided to keep the black one, so named it Marshall Dillon. Once we learned it was a she, we called her Mattie for Marshall Matt Dillon. She crossed the bridge due to FIP last summer.
The gray ones were Doc and Sam, and the plain Jane brown striped one was Festus. He is one of my favorite characters on the show, but I never planned to have a girl cat named Festus. But when no one adopted her, then Mattie died, suddenly we desperately needed to keep our Festie! And it was too late to change her name after calling her Festie (and Pestie) for months!

Garfield was supposed to be a foster, and with the Garfield movie last summer I thought he would get adopted in no time. I named he and his twin brother Garfield and Odie. Odie crossed the bridge (distemper), and Garfield became a keeper after Mattie died. Like Festie, it was too late to try for a new name, and it does suit him.

Will-gray and white tuxie who looks like a pig-two gray marks on his pink nose make it look like a snout. Piggy is a mean name, so we gave him something to suit his personality-something with class!

Peaches-n-Cream is a buff and white feral girl named by my son.

Captain Feathersword and Jeff are gray and white ferals. Captain Feathersword has a gray eye patch over one eye, and looks like a pirate captain. My kids named them after characters in The Wiggles!

Tommy-brown tiger stripe feral. We got tired of calling him "the outside Festus", so finally gave him his own name since he seems to be staying. He hangs out with Captain Feathersword and Jeff. I have plans to trap him so he can be neutered.

When I was a kid we had a cat named Friskie, because my brother really wanted a dog instead, and Friskie was the name of the dog in the Dick and Jane readers at school. (Yes, I'm old!)

And we had one named Lickety Splat. She just ran straight off the couch and landed Lickety Splat! Then there was Rusty Jones (a name off a car commercial), she looked like a brown tiger cat with rust spots.

We just took in a preggers tortie foster with buff toes. Looks like she is dipped in brown sugar, so the kids named her Sugar Toes. I'm trying to find out what her previous owner called her, though. If I can't, Sugar Toes it will be!

luvmysphynx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Monte is named after the movie "The full Monty"........he is a naked kitty........seen the movie? LOL

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Monte is a great name for your sweet baby. Does he leave his hat on?
I loved "The Full Monty."

Originally Posted by Luvmysphynx

Monte is named after the movie "The full Monty"........he is a naked kitty........seen the movie? LOL

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We had a whole list of names going (my husband, daughter and I) and could all agree. My husband wanted Ringo, Beatle or Yo-yo, My daughter wanted Tuna, Sterling or Simon and I wanted Chief, Wolf or Skat... none of them were fitting for all of us.

Then, remembering what big Seinfeld fans we all are, I suggested Cosmo - and it seemed to fit! He sure does like to make an entrance into a room!

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You all have some great stories! Mine are pretty boring explanations.

For our first kitty we had it narrowed down to about 5 names, but Chloe was the name that just seemed to fit her the best.

Our newest baby is Iris. (We just got her this week!) She was named by her foster mom and since she is 6 months old we decided to keep it. We'd hate to give her an identity crisis!

kittymeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We found our cat on the streets. Her name has changed over the years. Her name went from Alexis, to Lexy, to Lexington, and now its Rexington which seems more adult-like and sophisticated...afterall, she is wearing a tuxedo!

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Willow was named after the fuzzy grey leaves from the Pussy Willow tree during springtime. Sometimes I say she was named after the character of Buffy The Vampire Slayer because the name of the tree gets censored out in a lot of forums

Buffy was named after the character in BtVS. We went through a whole month trying out names, but nothing fit. Eventually both my mom and sister forced me to name her "Buffy," "because there's nothing else, and we have "Willow" anyway!" So I went with Buffy, not entirely liking it (it just didn't suit her!). Now, though, she's grown into her name. She fits the Buffy from the show to a T, except that she's not blond and she doesn't have the greatest fashion sense, lol

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of our current kitties there are:
Chester who was named after the Cheshire cat in Alice in Wonderland, but I didn't really enjoy pronouncing it. Becides that, it suits him.
Shadow hid in our basement for the first year of her life, and is dark grey. Now I wish we had named her Nermal after the Garfield character, but what ya going to do?
Samantha was named by my sister. None of us really know why she picked that name. Dad calls her "samster" cuz she looks like a big hamster sometimes (really round).

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Waffle's story starts when I was 8 years old. My brother found a stray kitten outside of my dad's business and brought it home. We ended up keeping him and I was so excited that the next time my mom and I went to the bookstore I spent my allowance on a cat name book. In that book was the name Waffle and I thought it was the best name I had ever heard and was dying to name the new kitty Waffle. My brother; however, insisted that since he found it he got to name the kitty and told me that he thought Waffle was a stupid name anyway. I was really disappointed and at that moment I vowed to my brother that when I was on my own and got my first kitty, its name would be Waffle. So, skip ahead 11 years to when I was moving into my first apartment. We went to the humane society, I held a little two month old kitten whose name on her card said Sara, cuddled with her, and asked her if she was my Waffle. Sure enough she was! Waffle is now 3 years old (this month) and the perfect fit for her name. She's super sweet with many adorable and hilarious little quirks. I love her name even more than I did as an 8 year old, 14 years ago.

rock&fluff'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rocky~ He was named after the movie "Rocky"..we thought it fit him perfect and it does!
Fluffy~ she was 6 weeks old when we got her and she was a tiny little fluff ball so the kids named her Fluffy..if I would have had my choice, her name would be Daisy..
Ash~ His name was chosen from the animated show Pokemon...the kids wanted to name him pokemon, but I talked them int Ash instead..Ash is the little boy on the show....

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i loved reading all the meanings behind the names

bonnie esther miggonette, was called bonnie because she was so feisty when i saw her at the cat protection society, she meowed the loudest and actually stuck her paw out of the cage and grabbed my arm, esther because it thought it was a cute name and miggonette to match her french first name.

pandy jessamina(aka pandy bear) was called pandora because of pandora's box, and once pandy got used to us, oh boy....it was pandemoniam lol and jessamina because it was a nice name she's quietened down now and is the most smoochy cat iv'e ever had, she follows me everywhere and purs nearly all the time

and anassa sui my english pointer cross wolfhound because of her english/irish background and because i thought sui was cute.

love,

pandybear