Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
LTS3=I am sorry they are giving you a hard time. Just do half of it. Do it tomorrow. I would nod my head then do whatever. Just do the best you can.

Whatsername85 what or where did you get that harness? I tried one from Amazon but its really annoying to get on over the neck-this one looks easier to get on or is it zipper on the stomach? The one I have now has two latches on each side of chest-she isn't really liking it. I think its too small-I have to get a small instead of xsmall.

can't believe its lunchtime. eating my lunch and putzing around.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
There certainly is a lot of quality babbling to catch up on.  Like everyone else, I'm enjoying the volunteer stories at cat rescues.  I have the greatest admiration for people who do this - it can be so heartbreaking.  It takes a lot of strength to risk your heart over and over out of love for these poor homeless kitties.   

Feeling
today. My supervisor just informed me that tomorrow we have to move stuff to the new facility. I'm working by myself all week with some occasional help and there's no way I have 2+ hours to pack stuff up, wait for the transport guy to get here and load up the van and move everything over, head over to the other building myself, and then unpack everything on top of everything else I have to do in the main facility
This week is just a bad time to do anything extra and my supervisor is well aware of that. I have a feeling she's only doing this because the lab head made a big stink about it and she has to placate him and do what he wants. Sometimes I feel that that my supervisor won't stand up to the lab head when he demands too much at the last minute.
I worked for many years in a lab situation and every time we moved it was a major production.  There is no way that one person was told to deal with it by themselves, much less without notice.  Moving a lab is a huge pain in the neck so you have my sympathies.  It must make it so much worse that your supervisor doesn't have your back.  

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
My last day off before going to work tomorrow, and it's making me borderline-panicky. I just want to curl up in a ball and cry. What the heck is wrong with me?? The thought of going into the office just makes me a wreck. I wish I could just leave but of course I can't :( Not without something in its place.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
My last day off before going to work tomorrow, and it's making me borderline-panicky. I just want to curl up in a ball and cry. What the heck is wrong with me?? The thought of going into the office just makes me a wreck. I wish I could just leave but of course I can't
Not without something in its place.
Oh jeez, do I ever know what you're going through. The last year or so that I worked, I was exactly the same way.  I figured that panicky feeling was my mind objecting because I kept doing something my mind knew was no longer right for me.  Forcing myself to go to work sometimes took all the strength I had and then once I got there, actually doing the job was an entire other battle.  It helps to know that it's not forever.  You really will get out.  It really will come to an end.  You're working very hard towards that end and someday you will break free.  ((((Hugs))))  You are not alone.  

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

Artiemom-I love your babbling about the cats. I think this helps give the general public a bit of behind the scenes at a cat adoption fair and how much is involved with each cat.

Have you heard anything more about sweet Sunshine?

I am glad there are more people like you who offer to care for kitties with no home. I wish we had something like this in Rochester but I don't think they have set up pet adoptions at our local Petsmart. We have a new Petco getting built as I speak. They are putting a new strip mall in next to the Super walmart on Rt 11 in Rochester. We never had a choice of shopping unless we drove to Portsmouth. now its not a big deal since the highway got widened to 3 lanes. What used to take easily 30 to 45 min from Rochester to Portsmouth now only takes me 20 min or less.

I wonder if this new Petco will have adoptions. I will have to check this out when they get up and running. They are looking for people to apply for jobs there. It would be great if many pet stores offered to put a few cats up for adoption. It would be fantastic for people to adopt locally.
@foxxycat   Thanks for your kudos, but I am really not doing much at all. I just like to talk a lot!! 

Seriously, so far I do enjoy the cats. I am enjoying being a volunteer. Since Artie is not as playful as he used to be, I am really enjoying and laughing at the antics of these kitties. It is so ironic. People knock on the door and ask me a lot of questions about cats, in general... as if I was an authority on them..I just shake my head.. Some people have actually come out and said that I am and 'expert' at them, since I am with the humane society---D'uh!! no way!!

I am just like everyone else! I am just playing with the cats, feeding, and scooping boxes...nothing else.

Well, I do push for people to fill out adoption applications. If they are interested in a particular cat, I do question them about some stuff. I try to get a feel for them--guess just me being Possessive  about the kitties. 

For some reason, the adoption coordinator wants me to call him if I do have any applications. He has been asking me if I spoke with them and how they seemed. I am not sure if he does this with everyone, or it is just me. 

If the cat they are interested in is already adopted or promised to someone else; he tries to get a feel for them and turns them towards another cat in foster care...

The adoption process is: they get interviewed, phone, by the adoption coordinator. The have to submit a letter from their landlord stating it is ok for them to have a cat, or a copy of their lease which states that, an utility bill. They have to keep them indoors, and not declaw. Then there is a site visit. They adoption coordinator comes over with the cat. They make sure things appear to work out for both the adopter and the cat. If it is ok, then they can have the cat. They then keep in touch with the adopters to make sure it is a good fit and things are working out, and are available for any questions. 

Re: Sunshine     ~~~~~~thanks for asking..

She is doing great!! Last week I asked the President about her. Sunshine now has the run of the house! She gets with the other cats. She does not fight them, she just refuses to move if they are at her.  She is not fond of the son's dog. I guess it is a small daschund, who is a sweetie. Sunshine hates dogs.. So for now, the dog is barred from the house, until she can learn to get along with him...

********************************************************************************

I just ate a power bar.. do not ask me why, because I did nothing strenuous this morning. I am about to run to the drug store to update my medical insurance and pick up a couple of things. 

I have towels in the wash now. I do have a steak I took out of the freezer. I should have cooked it yesterday, but I did not feel like it. I have to cook it today.. I will some of that with a salad.. and an apple for dessert. 

Artie is still not eating much.. and he is getting constipated again, even with the cisapride and the miralax...The Vet wants me to increase the dosage to 3 times a day. I am resisting against it. I am trying to give him a tiny bit more miralax before I resort to that, or I am thinking of trying some laxatone (he hates it)...sigh...He goes, but I know he needs a good clean out. That may make him feel more like eating. He is lapping up the juice even more. sigh....

I love him, but it just seems that he is failing more when it comes to his food intake. Yesterday he was 10.58 lbs or 10lbs 8 ounces with the conversion. 

Being on a limited diet has it's down side. I cannot entice him with treats. He refuses the dry food. I bought a new fresh bag for him. He is even refusing the freeze dried stuff..which worked the last time. I crushed that and sprinkled it on top of his food. 

Artie is so sweet. He is not into playing, but I did brush brush him a bit this morning. He loved it until I got to his belly, his bottom, and his tail...then that was enough. He was my "follower" the rest of the morning. Wherever I went, he was watching me.. I love this cat so much.. sigh..if he would have a better appetite, I would feel so much relief. 

Last edited:

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh jeez, do I ever know what you're going through. The last year or so that I worked, I was exactly the same way.  I figured that panicky feeling was my mind objecting because I kept doing something my mind knew was no longer right for me.  Forcing myself to go to work sometimes took all the strength I had and then once I got there, actually doing the job was an entire other battle.  It helps to know that it's not forever.  You really will get out.  It really will come to an end.  You're working very hard towards that end and someday you will break free.  ((((Hugs))))  You are not alone.  
You know what one of the really crappy parts of doing a job search is? A HUGE chunk of the jobs are ones that are for my company, or its competitors. I completely want out of the industry, and it's the main thing out there that has jobs that I can afford to take on. I don't have a way to filter them out unless I pick one specific company to search by, and they usually only list the top 5-10 so that would leave out a whole bunch. It sucks! I don't want to work for a big corporation, or in the pharmacy industry.

I'm trying so hard to NOT just apply for the first job that looks like it would probably hire me, just out of convenience. I want to LIKE where I work, and I don't want to travel 50 miles to get there.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know what one of the really crappy parts of doing a job search is? A HUGE chunk of the jobs are ones that are for my company, or its competitors. I completely want out of the industry, and it's the main thing out there that has jobs that I can afford to take on. I don't have a way to filter them out unless I pick one specific company to search by, and they usually only list the top 5-10 so that would leave out a whole bunch. It sucks! I don't want to work for a big corporation, or in the pharmacy industry.

I'm trying so hard to NOT just apply for the first job that looks like it would probably hire me, just out of convenience. I want to LIKE where I work, and I don't want to travel 50 miles to get there.
Can you look for a company that you would like to work for and check their website?  Not all companies advertise jobs - many list positions on their own site.  Also Amazon.com lists career opportunities in the tiny print links at the bottom of their site.  I'm not sure if all the jobs are for amazon or not but there are some programmer positions listed.

Survived my hour walk today.  now off to the shower to get the pollen off.  Allergies have been fierce lately.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I just finished an order. Didn't walk at lunch. I sat on my butt on my phone and here. I hope to make it to the gym after work. I really need to stretch my legs. I may have a coworker join me at the gym or at least just go as my guest today so he can show me a few more things. Jon is staying in mass again with his brother until Sat. So no cooking supper tonight. I still have to go grocery shopping but I can push it off until Sat when he gets back. I tend to live on crackers n orange juice. I need more protein bars. Its so nice n hot out I wish I could go swimming. That's another thing I hope to have time to do this week after work. Load the 14' kayak in the back of the truck and go sit in the local lake. We have so many small beautiful lakes I really should take advantage of swimming with the temps so warm in the 80s and 90s.

In A nearby town we have a lake called Merrymeeting lake that is crystal clear. Then another one on the NH/Maine state lines-they have a small area where you can swing on the rope swing and fall into the creek that is part of the lake. Great East Lake also has clear water. I have swam in that one many times. I have an anchor I drop when the water is 20+ feet deep and JUMP off into the water. I have one of those sit on top and its designed so I can fish and stand up on it. It doesn't tip over but I don't have enough room to run and jump. I just cruch up and fall into the water with my flippers on. When I want to swim deep I tie my life jacket to my leg with rope to use as a flag. I haven't gone swimming in years. I think this summer I will be spending more time swimming. I don't care who sees me in a swimsuit anymore. I just long to swim and float around in the water. I am a nut! The best part would be getting Honeybee to hang out on the kayak with me. Last summer I got her to sit on the kayak with me next to the boat. She really has no fear when it comes to hanging with mommy

View media item 359358
this was last summer at the rental. She comes out on the boat that is tied off at the dock. She hangs out with me for a few. The ducks fascinated her. My crazy Bee Kitty.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty is over the fireworks and thunder, thank goodness,

We had our obligatory casualty.  A couple of guys got into a bottle rocket war on the vacant lot next door,  One of them shot a bottle rocket up the leg of the other's shorts.  It was an apparent accident, as they are good friends.  The shootee got away with first and second degree burns, and some damage to his thigh muscles as he tried to shed his shorts.  He's lucky.  He'll father children if he wants to (although given his apparent IQ, I rather hope he doesn't).  And these are NOT kids, they are men in their 30's!  They were both arrested.  Good grief!

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

We had our obligatory casualty.  A couple of guys got into a bottle rocket war on the vacant lot next door,  One of them shot a bottle rocket up the leg of the other's shorts.  It was an apparent accident, as they are good friends.  The shootee got away with first and second degree burns, and some damage to his thigh muscles as he tried to shed his shorts.  He's lucky.  He'll father children if he wants to (although given his apparent IQ, I rather hope he doesn't).  And these are NOT kids, they are men in their 30's!  They were both arrested.  Good grief!
Not condoning firworks wars, but what kind of bottle rockets were they using? Must've been the larger ones. The tiny ones can do some damage too though.

And I've been on Etsy looking at custom pet tags. I really shouldn't have done that, because now I reeeealllly want one from this shop:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TagMePetTags?ref=listing-shop2-all-items-count#items

They are custom made to order and hand made/etched and they are so cool like omg I want one for all 3 of my cats. But there's no way I'd be able to buy 3 at the same time. I may buy just one at a time.

Last edited:

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Not condoning firworks wars, but what kind of bottle rockets were they using? Must've been the larger ones. The tiny ones can do some damage too though.

And I've been on Etsy looking at custom pet tags. I really shouldn't have done that, because now I reeeealllly want one from this shop:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TagMePetTags?ref=listing-shop2-all-items-count#items

They are custom made to order and hand made/etched and they are so cool like omg I want one for all 3 of my cats. But there's no way I'd be able to buy 3 at the same time. I may buy just one at a time.
Those are very nice tags - I can see why you like them.   They are a tad pricey though, I see what you mean.   

There's nothing like having an arrest on your record to put the kibosh on future job plans.  

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Those are very nice tags - I can see why you like them.   They are a tad pricey though, I see what you mean.   :catguy:  
margd margd

As an artist myself, I can see why they are so pricey, considering they are custom made to order and are handmade/etched.

Last edited:

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Can you look for a company that you would like to work for and check their website?  Not all companies advertise jobs - many list positions on their own site.  Also Amazon.com lists career opportunities in the tiny print links at the bottom of their site.  I'm not sure if all the jobs are for amazon or not but there are some programmer positions listed.

Survived my hour walk today.  now off to the shower to get the pollen off.  Allergies have been fierce lately.
Yep, I've gone to several websites and checked out careers. For the most part, either they had no Chicago/remote jobs available, or the jobs available did not fit my skill set.

Applied for two jobs today. God, the application process takes SO much longer than it should! And I was in the middle of applying for a third one, but they had "references" section as required fields. Problem is, the only people that are familiar with me in the role I'm looking into (business analyst) have no clue I'm looking. Well, two of them do, but the one never worked with me as a BA, and the only only did on his very first project at my company, and he probably doesn't remember much outside of his own work (he's a developer). No one else knows yet though. So, how the heck am I supposed to get over this hurdle without outing myself? I don't want to make a PSA to my company saying I'm looking or anything like that. My manager knows I'm looking, but she's not aware that I've been applying yet. Although, after last week, she's probably making the assumption that I have been while I'm off.

Btw, trying to find a true business analyst opening is hard. There are SO many people that call a role a "business analyst" and it has absolutely nothing to do with what a business analyst does.

margd margd

As an artist myself, I can see why they are so pricey, considering they are custom made to order and are handmade/etched.
They are probably pretty good quality too.

Last edited:

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night AWM took RB and me to the fireworks a couple towns over across the river (we usually just go to the river, but a friend recommended that show instead). I've got to say that the fair was good; they had a small Ferris wheel (they called it a Big Wheel instead), something called a stunt jump (they told me my height to weight ratio was wrong for me to do it safely), and fountains. Of the non-concession events in the park the fountains were the most popular with all ages. (We had a heat index of over a hundred yesterday, and again today, so it was hot and the water was a good way to cool down.) Like most of the people in the park, we thought the roped off area at the other end of it was where the fireworks were going to be coming from, so when we put the blankets down, we were facing that way. Everyone  was facing that way. Some people had tents, chairs and some even had large RVs. Imagine our surprise when the fireworks started to go off--*behind* us. (Sorry, the italics button stopped working for me.) We turned around (easier for us that other people) to watch them--only to discover that the people doing the fireworks weren't taking the trees that marked the perimeter of the park were tall, and that most of the fireworks simply weren't going high enough into the air to compensate. (There was one firework that looked like a happy face--except that it was upside down.) So we trekked back to the car (since the car had a better vantage point for the fireworks than the park did), and made it back *just* as the finale occurred. AWM and RB were grumbling that it would have been better to go to our usual spot for fireworks, only to wake up, this morning, to the news that there was a *shooting* last night over there! 
 So, yeah, right choice, and at least we saw some  fireworks. 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I worked for many years in a lab situation and every time we moved it was a major production.  There is no way that one person was told to deal with it by themselves, much less without notice.  Moving a lab is a huge pain in the neck so you have my sympathies.  It must make it so much worse that your supervisor doesn't have your back.  
Thanks
The lab itself has moved to the new building onto one of the research floors. There is a second facility in the new building which we are slowly getting ready and stocked. Once it is, there's going to be two facilities to maintain... with just the two of us
We need more people but the lab had won't approve any new positions but he's happy to hire more people for the lab. More lab people = more resources needed = more staff to provide and maintain those resources, IMO.

And that's not the worst thng that happened today. Someone in the lab sent out a fairly late email to my supervisor, me, the co-worker on vacation, and the two guys who sort of help out. One of the two guys is on vacation this week as well. It was a very specific time sensitive request that needed to be done ASAP. We just had a long lab meeting and got back to the facility. The afernoon work hadn't even been started yet and I only had an hour left in my day. There was absolutely no way the request could be done. The guy emailed the person back and asked her to fulfill the request herself since we were short staffed and had to get the afternoon work done per the compliance office. That opened up a can of worms
The peron flipped out and sent a lengthy b****y email to my supervisor with the lab head and the guy CC'd on it (the guy let me see the email) saying that it wasn't her job to fulfill her own requests and that the supervisor needed to better manage her associate's time (meaning me and my one co-worker) and she spends all day doing imoprtant experiments and going to meetings and blah blah blah.

Everyone in the lab knew that the two people would be out this week. It was brought up at the lab meeting last week and no one had a problem with it. It was even said that if people could fulfill their own requests it would greatly help. The lab head himself said that it was a good idea for everyone to know how to set up their own things and it was fun. I don't care if she does important experiements. She can't do her experiements in the frst place without the staff in the facility providing and maintaining the resources she needs. Some people just don't appreciate the people or work that goes into providing the resources.
I hope I don't get included on any email related to this can of worms. Not looking forward to seeing my inbox tomorrow morning

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
I hope I don't get included on any email related to this can of worms. Not looking forward to seeing my inbox tomorrow morning :para3:
I know that feeling ALL too well. It sucks. I still remember emailing back an angry account manager once and then leaving. Sorry, if you're gonna call our processes "stupid" then you're gonna have to go a few levels over my head to the VPs that approved the processes (that actually made perfect sense, considering all the HIPAA stuff). Yeah, she kinda went nuts on me but I honestly didn't care because I knew I was right.

I'm sitting here in a panic looking for jobs, like I'm going to find one before tomorrow. Yes, I think I may have reached a new level of insanity.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Beautiful tags. My cats can't wear tags since they constantly were chewing each other's tags. They have custom embroidered collars that have our phone number on it. Since our cats are indoor cats and microchipped we figure that's good enough. We did get their collars from Etsy though. 
See my cats scratch at their collars too much for me to justify buying embroidered collars. Their collars get frayed from scratching them and I have to buy new ones every 6 months or so.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See my cats scratch at their collars too much for me to justify buying embroidered collars. Their collars get frayed from scratching them and I have to buy new ones every 6 months or so.
Bizarre. I think our cats collars are pretty much the same as when we got them. We've only had to buy new ones in the past when the collar clasps broke. 

Status
Not open for further replies.