Lethargic, Meowing, Not Eating

shellabell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All day, my 4.5 month old kitten has been lethargic (he's a very active kitten). He won't get off the couch. He wouldn't eat any treats this morning (he rarely gets them), and now he's even refusing to eat canned food (which he only gets once every day or two). I could pick him up this morning, but he meows when I try to now, and he's even meowing just when he moves on his own. He isn't walking properly (his back seems a bit roached). Last night, he threw up dry kibble.

We have plants on the counter that I know he's been rummaging in, but none of those plants appear to be toxic to cats. I dewormed him a few weeks ago and he had thrown up all his food a few hours after I gave him the medication, so he may or may not have been dewormed (said the vet).

I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of what could be wrong? I will be taking him to the vet tomorrow if his symptoms don't improve.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would get him to the emergency vet NOW. If you don't have an ER vet, call your regular vet and see if they have an emergency contact number or instructions. Do not wait until morning as it seems as though he's getting progressively worse. Vet. NOW!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shellabell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks like he broke one of his paws. I'm not sure how, but it's definitely the most sensitive spot on him.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to our site...
I am sorry that your kitty is not feeling well.

I am afraid that I have to agree with the previous reply...
this sounds like you sweetie pie needs to be seen asap to rule out something life threatening.
As suggested, if you are in an area with an emergency vet, that would be my choice if I were you.
Bottom, from the way you described the situation, I would probably consider this an emergency.
Does your kitty go outside at all?

Please keep us updated and let us know what you find out.
I am sending along some positive vibes that you vet finds a simple solution.

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, I hope your kitten's ok. I would agree with what everyone else has said- sounds like you need to get him to a vet asap. I'd be really worried about the fact that it sounds like he's in pain, especially if he has a broken foot as you think.

Keep us in the loop!

to you and your kitten.

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor darling! Maybe he landed wrong when he jumped off of the counter? I agree with the others- I think a trip to the vet right now is a very good idea.

Good luck and

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Checking in to see how your kitty is doing today.
Did he see a vet yet?
I hope that he is feeling better.

shellabell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure if his foot is broken or infected, maybe even none of the above. Three of his paws are sensitive, but one of them is far more sensitive than the others. He has an appointment to see the vet today. I've never had a problem like this with my pets before. =\\

Thank you for the support and replies, I appreciate it.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please come back after your vet apt. and let us know how your kitty is doing.

shellabell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's staying at the vet's overnight. He has a fever of 105, he's lost 1lb since his last vet visit (which was a week ago when he got neutered). They're putting him on intravenous and antibiotics. It's difficult leaving your pet at the vet.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know that this is very difficult for you.

Did your vet have any ideas about what the problem might be?

I hope that the vet stabilizes your kitty asap and finds what the problem is.
I will be watching for your updates.

shp26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I had a similar experience with Heidi when she was about that age. I rescued her from a shelter that had spayed her just the week before. Had her for about 2 days and she acted and played like any healthy kitten would. Woke up on the third morning and found her balled up in the laundry hamper shivering and refusing to eat or drink. She felt feverish, rushed her to the vet, was indeed running a fever, but no runny eyes or nose or anything.

They kept her overnight on IV antibiotics and in the process discovered her spay incision site was infected on the abdominal wall side (they decided to remove the stitches while she was already there, since she was at the 10 day mark. When they did, some nasty stuff oozed out. The external incision hadn't shown any signs of infection at all). I've never had a male cat and am unfamiliar with how neutering works but this sort of reminded me of my experience, and if it could be a connection for you.

Heidi made a 100% recovery and was back to her hyper self in just a few days so hopefully your kitten will be too! Keep us posted. It's so scary when this happens to ANY animal, but kittens just seem so much more fragile.

shellabell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet said it could have been from him falling off the counter, jumping wrong.. really from anything. He plays with our miniature schnauzer so something could have gone wrong there.

Thank you, SHP26. Your story sounds very similar, and I'm glad Heidi had a full recovery.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So sorry you had to leave your kitty at the vet. It IS so difficult to leave them when you don't know what's wrong. (Okay, it's just hard to leave them period.) I hope he's all better soon and back home where you can pamper him and love on him.

shellabell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's home now and on antibiotics. It looks like he's going to be okay.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is wonderful news.

I invite you to stay around and enjoy our site....
we have a forum called New Cats on the Block, where you can introduce yourself and your kitty, a fun picture forum filled with pictures of members cats, a social lounge and lots of other areas where you can share your love of cats with other members. I hope that we continue to see you around the site.
Please make your self at home.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hooray! So glad he's home!! What did the vet finally decide was the problem?

And yes, please continue to come back and enjoy the forums! We'd love to have you become a regular poster.