Lethargic cat not eating or drinking

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Think she is! She was swatting at the dog, and trying to steal the dogs bone!

ericscards

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So sad reading theis. Our 4 year old cat, Boots, had started getting very lazy and not eating on Thursday/Friday, so he went to the vet. Vet confirmed a fever and gave antibiotics and a few other things. NEVER did he say that the cat must eat or run the risk of the liver breakdown/fatty liver disease. My 11 year old daughter(her cat), kept syringe feeding him water, and he occassionally feed hium a few spoonfulls of food, mostly the gravy as she was not forcefeeding him down his throat. Hehad some bright spots yesterday, and I had forcefed him about 1/3 can of catfood. Stopped drooling, but my wife was still very worried, so she took him to the vet. They said they still can't figure anything out. Wanna do scans and tests to see if it is cancer? If they do not find anything would it be wrong of me to bring him home today and continue to force feed him food and water and hope things turn around? How long would one try this before giving in to putting Bootsie Baby down?

We are a foster cat home but this is our family cat. We had gotten a terror on Wednesday. A bully of a cat that is no longer with us. He ate everyones food, bullied them, etc. Hoping two days of fostering him did not cost us our family cat.

Again, would it be wrong of me to bring him home today and continue to force feed him food and water and hope things turn around? How long would one try this before giving in to putting him down?

My wife just does not wanna see him suffer. I think we owe it to him to try and force feed him for a while and see if he can get better.

Thoughts???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would take him back to the vet and have them at the least do an X-ray of the abdomen(check for masses or a blockage). And also a fecal, esp if he goes outside or has not been de wormed. If he's not drinking he's probably dehydrated and would need subcutaneous fluids. The dr can give him an injection called cerenia which will help with an upset stomach.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is one of the scan's they want to do an ultrasound?  I think, provided it is read by someone who really knows what they are doing, is a good thing to have done.  I don't know what you mean by spots?  The outward visible signs of fatty liver is usually yellow color seen on the outer edges of the ears, the gums, or the whites of the eyes.

I don't know why so many vets don't stress the importance of a cat eating even if it's means syringe feeding.  Many vets don't though.  I ended up with a cat that had fatty liver disease because a cat's only vet told me that it wasn't a concern because my cat wasn't overweight.  By the time I took him to another cat's only vet he had fatty liver disease.  He did survive it though, it doesn't have to be a death sentence.

Last edited:

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree. Not enough vets state how serious it is that a kitty keep eating. Since my Alex had fatty liver I've noticed a lot of vets that don't seem to think it's a big deal until it's too late. Luckily my vet wasn't one of those and had me get her in there asap.