Let In Stray- Have To Keep Locked Up :(

bayss10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll try to keep this short-
There was a stray cat coming around for weeks that looked extremely terrified and underweight. I started feeding it and it came along more and more- we live right near a highway and there's coyotes in the area, so I made a hasty decision and opened the door one time while it came
up for food, and it walked right in.

I believe she was at one point a house cat. She knows to use a litter box and a scratching post, and she loves to be pet, but is VERY nervous. She will generally run and hide when you go into the room, but will come out in 5 minutes for love and affection.
One thing though is that she HATES our other cats. We have two other ones, and any time she even hears them meow she snorts and hisses. We currently are keeping her separated in a guest room. We plan to get her vetted on Tuesday, at which point we will rule out if she has any diseases and can maybe officially introduce her to the other cats.

I've contacted a feline rescue group but they don't think she would do well in a cage at a pet store for adoption due to how nervous she is, and I agree. My fiancé and I both work full time, so honestly she just stays in that guest room by herself all day and all night. We go spend time with her periodically but it's likely less than an hour per day, and I feel so bad :( I'm not sure if I'm actually helping her or if I'm just torturing her with isolation. She has gained weight and is looking much healthier, so at least there is that.

Once she is vetted the rescue group is going to try and help me adopt her out, but I believe with the expectation that I will keep her until they find someone. This I don't mind, as I can afford to feed and care for her vetting, I am more concerned about just keeping her in isolation. Is this cruel guys?

The only shelters in the area are kill shelters so that's absolutely out of the question. I've asked everyone I know and have asked them to ask if anyone is wanting a cat, I plan to network more aggressively once she is vetted (spayed, vaccinated, etc) as I feel chances of finding her a home would be much higher. But, I know that even then it could still take a long time :(

Any advice would be awesome. Initially I thought I was doing the right thing but now when I go in there and let her calm down- she seems so happy to not be alone and starved for attention. My heart is breaking for this kitty. :(

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
She has gained weight and is looking much healthier, so at least there is that.
Good for you!!
I am more concerned about just keeping her in isolation. Is this cruel guys?
Hi - no, it isn't cruel. However, can you set up a youtube webcam of squirrels or birds, or dvds of nature shows, that sort of thing.
Does she have a cat tree? any platter style toys and/or real fur mice she can play with?
For the introductions and even maybe already now, you might obtain some feliway diffusers or other calming products, there are treats, wipes, sprays and collars. She looks absolutely darling!
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bayss10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good for you!!

Hi - no, it isn't cruel. However, can you set up a youtube webcam of squirrels or birds, or dvds of nature shows, that sort of thing.
Does she have a cat tree? any platter style toys and/or real fur mice she can play with?
For the introductions and even maybe already now, you might obtain some feliway diffusers or other calming products, there are treats, wipes, sprays and collars. She looks absolutely darling!
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
She spends a lot of time on a windowsill overlooking a big tree filled with all kinds of birds, I know she likes watching them. She does NOT like toys. We have tried engaging her with toys several times, and she acts nervous and afraid of them. I've watched her walk a 2 foot radius around a toy mouse to avoid it, so we removed the toys from the room to reduce her stress, though we do keep trying every once in a while to get her to engage again. She has a small scratching post/perch, and there's various furniture in the room for her to jump on. She mostly sleeps curled up on the bed.

I actually own a feliway diffuser I bought when first introducing our two cats. We had it plugged up for about 3 weeks. I was incredibly upset because I thought we would need to rehome the new kitten- I was having massive allergy attacks involving swollen eyes, cotton mouth, trouble breathing at night, migraine headaches. We unplugged th feliway and all the symptoms went away within 48 hours- I was so relieved I wasn't allergic to the new cat! Interestingly enough our vet uses them and last time I went there with one of them my eyes started watering so bad they were streaming down my cheeks. It is just unusable for me iin the house :( I've never tried the spray or collar- I wonder if I'd have the same reaction.

Hoping we can find her a loving home sooner rather than later so she can get all the love she deserves!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Was that a new toy, or one that had been played with by another cat? What about a Da Bird?

She's probably catching up on her healing sleep now that she's where she's safe, bless you for doing this!

Anyway, in addition to your allergies, some cats such as my Big Guy are completely unaffected by Feliway, but there are other products with different ingredients such as L-Tryphophan and casein.

there is Zylkene, Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo.

There are also a couple of recent discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?

bayss10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Was that a new toy, or one that had been played with by another cat? What about a Da Bird?

Anyway, in addition to your allergies, some cats such as my Big Guy are completely unaffected by Feliway, but there are other products with different ingredients such as L-Tryphophan and casein.

there is Zylkene, Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo.

There are also a couple of recent discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?
Thank you! I will check these out!

bayss10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

She's probably catching up on her healing sleep now that she's where she's safe, bless you for doing this!

Calming Treats?
Just saw another part of your post!
We tried with both, we had some toys still in packages (our babies are spoiled) and we have two da birds, those were the ones that freaked her out the most :(

bayss10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Love da bird though, have a monthly subsription to get more attachments to it since our babies can be so rough with them!

bayss10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Isn't that something - I'm so incredibly glad this little sweetheart found you, it sounds like the poor thing was very unloved.
We heard from a neighbor that they believe she belonged to someone in the complex who moved and left her behind :( she's VERY nervous, but very sweet if you are patient with her.
Not sure how she made it outdoors for weeks :(