Lesson learned: Count the pills in your prescriptions

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm not sure how feasible this would be but it could be a quick way to verify in the future. Count out your next prescription and verify the count. Then weigh the pills with a high precision scale. Record that and verify the next prescription's weight.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH that is terrible. I get two prescriptions as well and have never counted them!!!! I would definitely call and let the pharmacy know. Will count my pills from now on, that is for sure.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our local big drugstore chain shorted me a whole prescription. The one time I did not at least check the bottles before I left the drive through. They checked the security tape and found that she had only given me one bag when there was supposed to be 2. It was an honest mistake, but still really inconvenient to have to go back.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I run out of medicine for one reason or another, my pharmacy "lends" me enough to get by until I can get a refill. They can't sell it to me, but they can just give me some and note in my records that they should add that cost to my next refill. Do you think your pharmacy might do that for you?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was answering elayman's question aimed at me separate from the main thread. No one else seems to notice this is an old thread?

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This did happen to me once. When I got home from the pharmacy the pill bottle weight seemed light to me so I counted the pills and sure enough they did short me. I immediately called the pharmacy and they told me to go back and they would give me what they owed me. I'm glad I noticed the shortage immediately. Have not had that problem since.

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by elayman

Thanks ! After his 'very brief fainting' his blood pressure and heart rate went back to normal for him. Was fine for almost 2 weeks, and then his blood pressure went down to low again, and his heart rate was lower than normal. Last night and today it has gone back up again and he is feeling great - "back to normal". They did switch the BP meds, though, so will find out any detail on that.

It is in the mountains of NC so very cool there - nice and stormy
- but just beautiful.
OK, I appreciate now that "High blood pressure medication" is virtually meaningless.

The two in question : Lisinopril (which he was taking 4 days/wk now continuing to take every day in small dosage -2.5mg)

and Hydrochlorothiazide (25mg) was daily, now taken off after the second heart episode.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't read the entire thread so I apologize if I repeat something (I'm having a "bad" day health-wise and don't feel like reading everything), but I just wanted to add my two cents worth.

Another thing to consider when it comes to prescriptions is to check to make sure that you're getting what you're supposed to be getting. I've had the pharmacy screw up my prescription before, and they once gave me some kind of heart medication instead of my pain pills for my back. It's a good thing I noticed the mistake, cuz who knows what might have happened if I would have taken the heart medication.
A friend of ours got the wrong medication once too, and thinking that she was taking the right kind and the correct amount, ended up over-dosing on something that she didn't need. She ended up in the hospital in a coma: she eventually came out of the coma, but is seriously messed up now because she took the wrong medication.

Just an FYI and something to consider.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by elayman

OK, I appreciate now that "High blood pressure medication" is virtually meaningless.

The two in question : Lisinopril (which he was taking 4 days/wk now continuing to take every day in small dosage -2.5mg)

and Hydrochlorothiazide (25mg) was daily, now taken off after the second heart episode.

I take lisinopril every morning. 15mg. Plus 1 plavix at the same time. I was taking 5 mg morning and night but my BP was slightly elevated. He changed it after my dizzy spell at work in Sept. That was because I had stopped taking my plavix. I have had no problems with either medication.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a great thread. I hope everyone will heed the advice given here. Always count the pills. Make sure they have given you the right medicine. I once picked up a prescription for my dad. I didn't check it until I got home. They had given me the wrong medicine. They wouldn't take what they gave me back or give me credit for paying for it.