Leo is vomiting clear, foamy liquid

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, this sounds like possibly swallowing some hard object. Time for an ER visit!

omi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So Maggy went to ER last night, and $400 later the vet says she either a) ate something poisonous or b) got bitten by a poisonous bug. He said that she was very low on fluids, so injected some and that she was vomiting so heavily she ruptured capillaries in her stomach to cause the bleeding.

She is a very neurotic rescue cat, and when she came back from the vet she was very afraid of my parents (they had to scruff her to try to get her in the cage). Both cats sleep in my room, which has a bathroom with the litter attached so they don't scratch the furniture. Normally she sleeps at the end of the bed on this flannel blanket they love, but this time she came and slept right next to me, and when I woke up, she was still there. She has been sleeping all day, and just woke up. We have fed her and given her more water/electrolytes. She went to the bathroom, and was peeing fluids which is a good sign. But she still appears weak, swaying as she walks. Shes back in bed now.

The good news is though, she is now at the final stages of a really nasty stomach bug!

THanks so much
-Omi

lizita

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omi,

Do you have a regular vet that you take this kitty to? (What's her name, btw?) If you do I would HIGHLY recommend that you call them today (Monday) to see if they think that she should be seen by them? The swaying back and forth as she's walking really worries me and makes me wonder if there may be neurological damage.
Taking her to the regular vet won't be as expensive as the e-vet. They charge a shameful exaggerated amount of money just because they can. Unfortuantely they are your only option in an after hours emergency.
If this has caused some damage or is still having an effect on her taking her to the vet sooner rather than later may actually save you money, not to mention that it will save your cat a lot of suffering and maybe even her life. Your kitty doesn't sound like she's out of the woods yet and she may need more care, maybe more fluids. How is her eating and drinking? Drinking is especially important so keep a close eye on that.

Until your kitty is 100% well I would not let her outside unsupervised even to go potty or run around the house. You want to make sure that she doesn't eat anything. Cats sometimes also take off and hide when they are sick.

Did you ever identify what plant the leaf you found came from? Many houseplants are poisonous for cats. Here is a really good list of plants that are poisonous to cats http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison...s.html?print=t. Check if any of your houseplants are on it.

Please come back and let us know how kitty is doing. Thanks for being such a good big sister to her.

omi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Lizita.
Maggie is fine today, some good hours of sleep and water with electrolytes have done her well (we hope).

I think the flopping was mainly due to dehydration, (and no muscle definition, she is a floppy cat!). Haven't seen any flopping today.

She is back to eating and drinking (and sleeping) like usual.

We don't have a vet at the moment. We just moved to Dallas from Tokyo. Before Tokyo we were in Denver. Unable to take our cats to Tokyo, and not wanting to separating they lived with our vet in Denver. Now that we are back they are with us in Dallas (and have not forgotten us after these 3 years!) But in other words, we don't know a vet here. We have emailed Denver vet though.

Thanks again.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad to read Maggie seems better, and I think that's smart to contact your old vet for a possible referral in your new home.

FWIW, I take exception to the idea that ER vets charge shameful amounts of money because they can - or, at least I take into account that an ER practice has to be ready for everything, from emergency surgery down, at a moment's notice, at hours and days other vets are not practicing - how much does it cost to maintain the staff and facilities? It's like a human ER - sure, it's less expensive when an illness can be treated on a non-critical basis - but when you need the help on, let's say, 2:00 am Christmas morning - well, how much is it worth that people are there to help you?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by omi

We don't have a vet at the moment. We just moved to Dallas from Tokyo. Before Tokyo we were in Denver. Unable to take our cats to Tokyo, and not wanting to separating they lived with our vet in Denver. Now that we are back they are with us in Dallas (and have not forgotten us after these 3 years!) But in other words, we don't know a vet here. We have emailed Denver vet though.
There are a number of members here in the Dallas area. Give us some idea what part of town you live in, and someone can probably recommend a vet in that area.