Lemon/orange Oil, Scratching.

Eleora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, Some one told me that they mix lemon oil with water as a deterrent for their cat so it doesn't scratch an area, the thing is there is some info online that says that essential oils are bad for cats and dangerous is this true?

Molly has started to scratch the bedroom carpet during the night, she scratches near the cupboard door and near one side of the bed I put orange peel down and that seems to have stopped her for a few days but she is starting to do it away from the peel now, she will do it until I get up. She has scratching posts, boards etc she seems to do it to get me up even if I just get up and go into the living room and lay on the sofa this seems to be what she wants :/

She used to scratch the bed to get me up but only in the morning, I put a scratching board there and she doesn't do it now. I was thinking of mixing orange oil with water to spray the area but I'm scared it will be toxic, an alternative solution would be better. I have put her toys in the bedroom but she still does it. I am wondering as to why she does this as there must be a reason and what I can do to meet her need?

She never does it when I am awake and she never does it when my husband is in the bed asleep it seems to be only when I am in it asleep, she wants something from me, but what?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eleora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Was thinking of maybe getting two of these mats to put were she is scratching instead of spraying her or putting down stuff she doesn't like the smell of ?

Oh and I forgot the mention that Molly's behavior and the scratching started just after we had a decorator in to paint our living room, his dust sheets smelled bad and he also added something to the paint I gave him for the trim it was satin wood water based and the stuff he added to it looked like oil and made it smell like gloss it was really strong, despite me telling him about health and breathing issues and also providing the paint I wanted him to use. Maybe these strong smells have upset Molly.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You may be onto something.

And cats scratch. They scratch to loosen the old claw sheath, and they scratch to stretch and exercise their back and shoulder muscles. However, the bedroom carpet is not the best place to do this. And she is doing it, as you mentioned, because there is a payoff. You get up. She trained you. So now you have to train her. Before going to extraordinary lengths, let's try something silly that might just work. Next time she does it, HISS at her, loud and sharp and mean. There isn't a cat in the world who isn't born knowing that a hiss like that means, "STOP THAT RIGHT NOW, I AM NOT HAPPY!" It may just work!

LOL, I have to be very careful when I'm advising this, as I tend to actually hiss at the computer monitor, and Hekitty, my cat, jumps two feet and says, "WHAT? WHAT DID I DO? I WAS SLEEPING HERE!"

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be hesitant to spray any kind of oily substance where your cat can get it on their fur unless it was specifically designated as safe for cats. Petroleum based product can be toxic to cats and others may give them an upset stomach. Molly may just like the feel of carpet. You can staple a piece of carpet over a board, lay it down over the place she has been using, sprinkle it with a little catnip and see if she will switch to that.

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think citrus oils are toxic if ingested. Most cats don't like the smell of citrus, so they should stay away from the area. I personally wouldn't use a citrus spray just because I want my house to be their home also, so I would cover the area with a scratching pad like susanm9006 suggested. I would worry the kitty would get the spray on her fur and ingest it while bathing. If you want to go a citrus route, you could put some orange or lemon zest into a glass parmesan cheese shaker with the screw-on lid and set it in the corner.

Eleora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the suggestions! Well she didn't do it last night! I put a cardboard scratcher there with catnip on it and she sniffed it and went to sleep. I think I will try a nice scratch mat like a carpet one. I don't know if I can hiss lol maybe a spray bottle can sound like a hiss? I honestly don't like essential oils and parfume smells. If it bugs me how much more will it bug my little fur baby :( Zest sounds like a good idea though. Thanks everyone! :D

Eleora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think citrus oils are toxic if ingested. Most cats don't like the smell of citrus, so they should stay away from the area. I personally wouldn't use a citrus spray just because I want my house to be their home also, so I would cover the area with a scratching pad like susanm9006 suggested. I would worry the kitty would get the spray on her fur and ingest it while bathing. If you want to go a citrus route, you could put some orange or lemon zest into a glass parmesan cheese shaker with the screw-on lid and set it in the corner.
Here is an article about the danger of essential oils cats

Essential Oil and Liquid Potpourri Poisoning in Cats

Thank you, I am so glad I never went down that route!

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the best thing to do with cats scratching in unwanted places is to give them better options. Better scratching post/cardboard/carpetscratcher that they will enjoy scratching on even more than what they were using before.

Eleora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the best thing to do with cats scratching in unwanted places is to give them better options. Better scratching post/cardboard/carpetscratcher that they will enjoy scratching on even more than what they were using before.
Yeah I was thinking this.