Legal question- maybe someone knows?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

I know 4 inches is nothing but to us that's a lot. In the 10 years I've lived in Atlanta, we've never had more than 1 inch, most years we get no snow and sometimes we get half an inch. The time when I lost control of my car was last month- we had 1 inch of snow then but it didn't melt until 4 days later and all the roads were iced. I really thought today would be the same. It was early in the morning when I talked to my friend and there were cars that were getting stuck on the road I live in because they couldn't go up the hill due to the ice. That's why I was worried. It melted later on so it was fine, and it's fine now, the roads are almost dry thankfully.
But isn't there something else you guys up north put on your tires, something like spikes to increase friction?? Sorry, I haven't lived in a place where it snows regularly since I was little and I certainly don't remember things like how to drive in snow.
ut0pia, you drove on ICE... yes, a LOT more dangerous than driving on snow... We do have Ice storms here is Dallas, and the roads are pretty much impossible to drive on - even at 10 mile/hour, your car has no grip whatsoever... very very dangerous... But on those cases, Domino's, or Pizza Hut would be closed. Here in Dallas, pretty much everything closes down. But then again, that is ICE, not simply snow...
And as otto said, the last thing you want is slam on the brakes - on the snow, Ice OR RAIN.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like I was wrong to assume that just because it's snowing it will turn into ice. I thought that's what always happens because it's what happened the last time it snowed- it began to melt and then turned into ice. Lol, I have no experience with snow and driving, forgive my ignorance

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It looks like I was wrong to assume that just because it's snowing it will turn into ice. I thought that's what always happens because it's what happened the last time it snowed- it began to melt and then turned into ice. Lol, I have no experience with snow and driving, forgive my ignorance
Oh no, no... it doesn't always happens... otherwise it would be a disaster!
Once I was driving on Ice... on the FWY... I think I posted here... I could not go over 5-10 miles/hour... even to accelerate it would make my car lose control... it was CRAZY. It would take me FOREVER to chance lanes... The most dangerous thing I ever did... awful. I did all that only to get to the place, and find out that it was closed

I also had no experience driving on ice... Learned that lesson pretty quickly - I think that is where you are coming from
it is truly traumatizing. Ask me to drive on Ice, and you will hear a sound NO!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Oh no, no... it doesn't always happens... otherwise it would be a disaster!
Once I was driving on Ice... on the FWY... I think I posted here... I could not go over 5-10 miles/hour... even to accelerate it would make my car lose control... it was CRAZY. It would take me FOREVER to chance lanes... The most dangerous thing I ever did... awful. I did all that only to get to the place, and find out that it was closed

I also had no experience driving on ice... Learned that lesson pretty quickly - I think that is where you are coming from
it is truly traumatizing. Ask me to drive on Ice, and you will hear a sound NO!
Yes, that is kind of what happened to me! Except for, there wasn't ice all over the road, only on some parts of the road were iced, so I didn't expect it to be this slippery since some parts were dry and fine to drive on, and I left my house with no traffic around me at first so I decided to go 35 mph thinking I'm being safe because the speed limit was 55...
I definitely learned my lesson, and was lucky that nothing happened. Then when I reached a place where there was traffic around me I saw that no one was going faster than 15 mph in these conditions and people kept huge distances between each other.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, that is kind of what happened to me! Except for, there wasn't ice all over the road, only on some parts of the road were iced, so I didn't expect it to be this slippery since some parts were dry and fine to drive on, and I left my house with no traffic around me at first so I decided to go 35 mph thinking I'm being safe because the speed limit was 55...
I definitely learned my lesson, and was lucky that nothing happened. Then when I reached a place where there was traffic around me I saw that no one was going faster than 15 mph in these conditions and people kept huge distances between each other.
yep - that's what happened to me too... in the FWY, because of the side walls, and all the shadows, the ice didn't melt - that's where I got into trouble... My big mistake was going into the FWY.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in OR studded tires are still legal, thank goodness. I have to deliver mail in my own car. I live about 25 minutes from the PO, when the weather is good. The studs are good when I'm on the highway, but when it has snowed hard, I have to put my chains on to deliver the route and there are still some hills I can't make it up. Thank goodness we haven't had but a couple days of snow this winter. I can't be fired for not showing up but I don't feel right putting some one else in that position. It's my job and I've been doing it for a long time...I know how to drive in those kind of conditions. A sub may not be as experienced as they don't drive in bad conditions on a regular basis. Last year I took out my first mail box, and I know what I did wrong. Can't try to make up time in the snow and ice.
I have to agree with you. 4 inches in your area is very unusual and most drivers there don't have much experience in those conditions. It can be very scary. Other drivers scare me the most!