Leg Problems For My Cat

LunaTheGrayCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

We rescued a cat from my wife’s workingplace and before showing her our home we took her to vet. Vet was suspicious about pregnancy but she wasn’t showing any of behaviour or symptoms but after a while we realized she is pregnant.

She gave birth a few days ago and we have 4 healty newborn kittens. Our cat is about 6–7 months old and it seems like she’s not aware of being a mother but she takes care of her offspring.

However after she gave birth, sometimes one of her back leg is not functioning for a second and she fells and cries. It’s not happening all the time and the last time it happened i saw some blood her organ.

Is it normal or should I take my cat to vet?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not normal. Please take mom to the vet and bring the kittens with you.

Thank you for rescuing this family!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
L LunaTheGrayCat

Welcome! :wave3:

Yes, a vet visit is warranted. She needs treatment for whatever is causing this. Please take her ASAP, and let us know what the vet says.

Seeing blood is worrisome. She may have a uterine infection.

Please give mom a dish of kitten formula daily as well for extra calcium while nursing. She needs it.

Thank you for rescuing her! :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If at all possible bring her and the kittens in, just for peace of mind. She may have pinched/damaged a nerve when giving birth, and it is not unusual to have a little blood a few days after giving birth. It wouldn't hurt to check it out to rule out a blood clot or infection. Make sure you put the kittens in a separate carrier or in a small box, mama may panic and step on them if they are in the same carrier. but make sure they are close so she can see and smell them. What she is going through is not normal, so keep her under observance. Please make sure she is spayed when the kittens are around 8 weeks, they can get pregnant almost immediately after birth, so make sure she doesn't get out. It would save her from a miserable life of savage matings and endless kittens. Poor little girl I hope she can find a loving home with you, she is so lucky you took her in. Good luck!