Lefty or righty?

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My brother is completly right handed.. by default. He has Cerebral Palsy, which affected his left side. Drs told mom they couldnt give him a prognosis as a baby.. anything could happen, best case scenario is that the left side of the brain takes total control and learns everything the right should be doing.. worst case scenairo is that he'd pretty much need someone to take care of him.. fortunantly for him, the left side did take over, for the most part. The only thing obvious about the CP is his left hand.

Its amazing how much dexterity he has in his right hand tho.. he plays video games one handed.. and he's also mastered chop sticks quite well. He does pretty much everything one-handed.. the only things he cant do is tie his shoes and cut meat.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Hoorah for the south paws!!!

I am most certainly left handed, but i feel some things more comfortable the other way. When i eat, fork is in the left hand, but when i cut, knife is in the left and fork in the right lol. My hand is just so dominant it needs to cut and eat in the same! I sling my bag on my right shoulder. Catch and throw with the left. it's all so very weird.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried to write "Can I really write with my non-dominant hand"? with my left to check and see if I really can. I can, and I checked that box, but, man, it looks exactly like the printing from a child just learning to write, and it took forever!

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am almost completely ambidextrous. When I was younger, I was primarily right handed but I broke my right arm and had to learn how to write and stuff like that left handed for school. When my arm healed, I started writing with my right hand again but I tried to keep my left hand up to par as well. One of the only things I'm not good at with both hands is using the mouse. I'm much better with my right.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am left handed. I can write with my right hand well enough to read it, but it gets on my nerves to try. It really feels against nature or something. However, I have to open Pepsi bottles and jar lids with my right hand. And the few times I've been bowling, I had to throw the ball with my right hand. (You can tell how good I am at bowling, since I am "throwing" the ball.)

jezmondo69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

I have had an increasing interest in Non-dominant hand abilities. I am right handed but I can write with my left hand...the problem is that it ends up being mirror image. What causes that? I am having trouble figuring that out. Also, if I concentrate enough, I can start in the middle of a page having a pen in each hand and write out from the middle at the same time with the left hand side being mirror image of the right.
my grandad also could do this and it looked really odd when you watched him do it.

i am right handed in regard to writing, but i have tought myself to do most things with both hands over the last few years, simply because at work it makes life allot easier if you can use tools in either hand as you cant always get access with the hand you want to use.

i have friends who are related to eachother and they are both leftys, but have both tought themselves to be "ambi's" for the same reason.

my only thing i am stuck with in right handed form is playing guitar, that would be very good to be able to play either way! im sure someone has done it, but it took years to learn it just the one way so i'll leave it at that for now!

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I write with my right hand. i used to use my right leg for everything-support, kicking when playing soccer etc, but when i tore 3 logaments and sprained my right ankle, now my left leg is more dominant lol. Also when riding my horse my left side (mostly left hand) is more dominant like when I am asking for a bend with my left hand, it is more natural than using my right hand and thus Joe is more flexible on his left lol. Maybe i have hit my head one too many times when falling off horses that my brain doesnt know which side of my body is more dominant!!

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm right handed but I can write with my left too (a little, and it slants all over the page). There are some things I can only do with my left, like brushing my teeth (weird)

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very strongly left-handed/sided. If I write with my right hand it looks like a 3-year-old trying to write. I use my mouse on the left side too. I can't really use scissors with my right hand so I hold them in a weird position to get them to work with my left. My left leg/foot is also dominant (for kicking or anything else I'm using my feet for.)
The only time I use my right hand for something is when I am using something that is configured for right-handed people and won't work when held with the left hand.

scampersmama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm primarily right handed, but I can write with my left hand... perfectly written BACKWORDS letters with my left hand...

sparkie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was supposed to be a lefty, but my mom and teachers forced me to write with my right hand instead. To this day I write like a lefty would - paper slanted, hand curled inward.

Too late to change! With a little bit of practice, I could write with both!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm right handed and I don't really use my left hand for anything, except for typing, playing video games, and bass guitar. I can write with my left hand, but it looks like chicken scratch.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mainly write with my right hand however because I've played music for soo long I'm pretty ambidexterous.