Leche, the milk cat

tschleining

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Need advice, Leche is 17 months old and has never ate cat food (wet or dry). I have tried mixing his KMR with food but he will not touch it. I have tried homemade milk replacement recipes but he will not touch it. He does like to eat potato peels, which are not good for him and he like to chew up shoe laces and carpet padding. I'm at a loss on how to get him to eat. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If all he has eaten is KMR and potato peels, he is likely underweight and nutritionally deficient. It would also explain why he wants to eat things like shoestrings and carpet padding - many cats try to eat non-food things to make up for nutrient deficiencies. What is this cat's background, how does he act otherwise, and has he been checked out by a vet? Blood tests done?

Try any and all of the suggestions in the above link. Maybe you can grind the potato peels and add that along with KMR to get him to eat something else to start off with. Baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut), as mentioned above, while not nutritionally complete, might be a place to begin testing other foods.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you tell us a little bit more about the circumstances of how Leche came into your life? Cats are comfort creatures and are into what they are used to…as a first step, could you…put wet cat foot on a pair of shoe laces? (Monitoring the shoelace part, of course). Daftcat, for example, is able to get his cat to eat a little more by putting wet food on a patch of carpet. It will all take time and patience…with cats, nothing is a rush job.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yikes! Off to the vet for Leche if he hasn't been for the past year.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What foods have you tried, try dry and canned, maybe some pouched. Try pate, shredded and minced. some cats are really picky when it comes to texture.