Leaving my cat for a month

nourhany1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!
Recently me and my family have scheduled a trip for almost a month. It's the longest time I have ever left my cat Yuki alone, I usually take him with me for trips with a car, but this time we're going abroad on a plane so that won't be possible unfortunately.

My best friend will be coming daily to feed him, play with him and clean up his litter. Most of the days she will work from my home so she's able to spend a few hours with him. She loves him and he knows her since she comes over quite often.

I will also be having some one as a back up to come feed him and clean his litter in the case theres a day my friend can't come, but she wouldnt be spending time with him. But this is only for back up and wouldn't happen often.

My friend unfortunately can't take him to her home since she already has 2 cats, and kennels to me are not an option, he hates being stuck in a room even.

He's quite attached to me and the most I have left him with a similar setting was for around 2 weeks, and he had some separation anxiety then, pooping on the carpets and such. But was other wise good. However my friend couldn't stay for as long as she would be able to this time round.

So what can I do to make this easier on him? Has anyone needed to leave their cats for that long? It's still 2 months away but I'm already worrying, so i would love to hear of anyone's experiences.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you've seen this, but coincidentally, A AaronZC started a similar thread recently. Although this thread is about a shorter trip than a month.

I'm going on two back-to-back trips over two weeks soon. I'm worried about how it will affect my relationship with my cat when I get back

My advice was not to worry about it, as long as you feel confident that the people caring for your cat are trustworthy and your cat will be safe.

Just my two cents. Sure, there may be separation anxiety, which I still deal with regarding my 10-year-old cat sometimes. But you have to do what you have to do. Whenever I have to leave for a while, I make sure I trust the person taking care of him, and then he always welcomes me back immediately when I return.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to add to my previous reply, I always make sure that play is part of the care while I am gone. I make that a requirement. As I mentioned in the other thread, I use a service where someone comes to the home, and I pay a little extra for them to spend extra time playing with my cat.

Edit: sorry I didn't notice you mentioned your cat was pooping outside the litter box when left alone. That part I don't have experience with. It sounds like your cat's separation anxiety may be worse than mine. So my "don't worry about it" advice may be inadequate. I will wait for others to chime in here.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since Yuki has experienced some separation anxiety in the past, your best focus would be to mimic, as much as you can, the lifestyle he is used to when you are home. TV or music playing? If so, set one or both on timers to come on when you would have them on normally. Lights on timers too. Feeding times should remain as close as possible to your cat's normal schedule. Worn, unwashed clothing to be left in areas where he likes to hang out can be comforting too.

If you can have some contact with your cat-sitter during your absence, you could set up some Skype time so that your cat can at least hear your voice. It will also allow you to receive updates on how he is doing and enable you and your friend to discuss any changes that might be necessary. Don't forget to share vet information with your friend in the unfortunate event that they would need to contact them.

Since your friend will be around more, I think that will likely go a long way in helping him!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nourhany1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone!
He's most active at morning/noon so thankfully that should stay the same since that's when my friend would be coming usually. And yeah she always sends me updates on everything, with pictures and all.
I never felt like he cares for my voice on the phone for the periods I was away before but I'll still do a call anyway.
I'll make sure I leave my worn pyjamas out and keep my slept on bed sheets as well.

I'll be getting him some yummy stuff when I'm back so he's not too mad at me🙆🏻‍♀️