Leaving my Cat at home when I travel

irishcg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm traveling for a week and I need some advice. I normally have someone come over to feed and play with my cat when I am out of town, however a friend has offered to board my cat while I'm away this time. I'm not sure if this is good idea. Would this cause too much stress? Any advice would be appreciated.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By "boarding" is your friend talking about taking the cat to his/her home for the time? If so, is there other pets in the house? If so, is your cat familiar with those pets.

If the friend has no other pets, then its probably ok. But I'd advise the friend to keep the cat in one room well away from any doors where he/she could get out by accident.

It really depends on how your cat acts around strangers, other animals and general "new things". I've had cats where they didn't care where they were as long as they got attention and food. Others would freak out in too much new stuff. Most of mine are inbetween cats. They would be a little cautious at first, but within a few hours were fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

irishcg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, she will take my cat to her house for a week. There will be no other cats there so that shouldn't be a problem.
The question is, which is better? Having my cat stay at my house with periodic visits or go someplace where someone will be for the entire time? My cat loves my house, we have many birds and squirrels outside for her watch, but she also loves attention. I just want her to be happy.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We if she's used to attention, then I'd opt for the friend to take her in her house to babysit. How is your cat with this friend?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

irishcg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat loves her. Thanks for the advice.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would just let your friend check up on your kitty. I am the type of person that always thinks of the "worst case senerio". With that I would be too worried my kitty would get out of my friends house. Now you have a lost cat, in a neighborhood you don't live in. Ugh..That would be awful!

My cat loves my house, we have many birds and squirrels outside for her watch, but she also loves attention. I just want her to be happy.
This is just the sweetest thing I have ever heard. If only more pet owners were like you.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would take her to your friends house - that way she'll get lots of loving, which she'll probably appreciate. We are generally our cats only source of interaction, and they (certainly mine) hate being left alone.

Just leave your friend a key for your house, so if your kitty hates it there and is too scared, then she can take your kitty back to your place, and just check in on her until you get home.