Leaving kitty alone

rambo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys!

We have had Rambo for about 3 weeks now, and have been keeping him in the bathroom with toys and food/water and his litter box during the day when my fiancee and I are at work. It kills me every time I do it because I know it can't be fun locked up in one room all day, but I havn't a choice right now as Rambo constantly trys to jump on the fish tank lid which is two pieces of glass and not sturdy. I do want to get one solid lid for the tank, and then this wouldn't worry us so much but for right now this is the issue. Do you think maybe putting a tv or radio in the bathroom for Rambo during the day would make him happier? or any other suggestions? Maybe he doesn't mind it too much as he is really well behaved and snuggly and not mad at me ( i think) when i get home, but i dont really know? Perhaps the only solution is to kitty proof our house more and let him roam free during the days... but any suggestions or anything would be nice to hear :)

Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rambo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should clarify we have HAD him for 3 weeks- he is 3.5 months old.

miki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming Rambo is the kitty on your avatar- he is ADORABLE! 

For now, I think it's fine if Rambo stays in the bathroom as long as there are no signs of anxiety when you come home (excessive meowing, jumping up, etc.), because I'm sure that your fishie would not be happy if Rambo was allowed to roam the house.

About the TV/radio idea ~ I have never tried the TV idea, but it may work as long as the sounds coming out of it aren't too loud or "metallic" (There are a lot of videos on YouTube showing cats trying to "paw" at birds on a TV, and there are also actually special DVDs made especially for cats staying home alone. I'm not sure how well they work, but they do seem interesting.)  Research shows that cats enjoy classical music, particularly harp music? I have absolutely no idea why. 
 Maybe the flowing sound soothes the kitties. Miki is a huge couch potato seems to enjoy classical music and some 60's tunes (i.e. Simon and Garfunkel) on days when I have to leave the house for extended periods of time. Maybe you should give it a try and see if Rambo likes music or watching TV, he may!

I do suggest getting a solid lid for that fish tank though... anything could happen 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rambo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes that picture in my avatar is Rambo, thank you very much!!

I will have to try the classical music idea, it usually works for me so i assume he may enjoy it as well! I just feel so bad leaving him in there. That bathroom is totally HIS room now though. I can tell he feels safe in there and when guests come over and hes unsure of new people he runs in there and plays. So this maybe tells me he doesn't mind it so much!

Thank you for the reply :)