Leather Furniture

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone here have leather furniture? How do you care for it to keep it clean? Do you wipe it with something or use any kind of conditioner on the furniture. Please don't give me internet links as I can find them for myself. I want some first hand knowledge if anybody here has that. :lol3:

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have leather dining chairs.  Unfortunately I didn't know what I should be doing to care for them from the beginning; so they are in sad shape. The leather dried out and cracked and peeled.  Especially now that we really use our dining table.  

Now I use a spray that cleans and conditions it all at once.  The brand is Mr. Leather.  I spray and wipe it down; thats it.  It does make the surface slippery for a bit.  The first time I did it I didn't warn DD.  Our dining set is pub height and she was little.  Poor thing got up and slid right off the other side of the chair! 
  I also managed to spray the kitchen floor and that was slick.  I was more careful after that!  I can't use the cleaner on the already damaged parts; but it seems to be taking care of the rest of it beautifully. 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I use a leather cleaner (a waxy paste you rub in, then buff with a soft cloth) once or twice a year. I think it's intended for saddles, since I got it at a riding supplies stand at an animal fair. :lol3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use a leather cleaner (a waxy paste you rub in, then buff with a soft cloth) once or twice a year. I think it's intended for saddles, since I got it at a riding supplies stand at an animal fair. :lol3:
jcat jcat I have a three piece set of Lazy Boy, sofa, rocker recliner and loveseat. The sofa sits out from the wall and I notice the back looks like it is faded. I am looking for something to condition and maybe darken the leather. I called the manufacturer and they say only use distilled water and Neutrogena or Ivory soap and wipe with that. They say if I had purchased an extended warranty I would have been given some leather products to use. When I looked that up online some folks say it took off the color. My furniture is about ten years old.

It sounds like what you use is saddle soap. I was wondering what Vaseline would do. Has anyone tried that.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Never tried Vaseline but I have used coconut oil... ;)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our couch is leather. I've not once cleaned it and it looks good anyway. We've had it for about 5 years now.  It came with a cleaning package, some kind of lotions, etc. but I haven't needed it. Maybe because we don't get much direct sunlight in the living room so it isn't exposed to anything harsh other than our butts sitting on it lol. 

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a leather couch that's 11 years old. Never used any cleaners on it or cleaned it until 4 years ago. Only reason I now clean it is a 5 And 3 year old human kids, and I only use baby wipes to clean it.
It's never faded and looks great except for the spot that my oldest took a screwdriver to and punctured it.

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My sofa is leather and I used just wet cloth then dried with white soft cloth it looks nice and shiny, like new. 

I love that sofa very comfortable (11 years old) and easy to clean mostly cats fur.

Now my sofa looking so old...Macha scratched it and marking X everywhere lol