Least likely to be adopted?

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a tux, 2 black cats, dilute tortie, and a siamese mix.
After first hearing that about the black and tux cats I made a point to pay special attention to them, Bentley the tux he made me have a thing for tux kitties as he was my first very own kitty! And an adult. I always look for who calls out to me but I think these black cat have maybe heard about me!!!!!
I know I've gone into the shelter when I got 3 of cats... in the winter it is almost all black cats.
So what color cats go the fastest? I thought everyone owned a tabby!!!

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Orange!?!?
That is our one "most popular" color!

Admittedly, we have a hard time adopting out any cat over 4 months of age. The 1 year + is impossible to adopt out. People here only want kittens. We have almost no adoptions when kitten season is gone.
That's why I took in both Freckles and Bickford. Both were 8 when I adopted them and even though they are great cats I knew they would be overlooked in a shelter. Bickford has some swatting issues when he's in a strange environment (even though he's declawed) and that would probably put him on the top of a PTS list.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is all very fascinating reading, but of course with a sad note.

None of my kits are/have been from shelters, they came to me via other routes.

So I'm not bothered about the colour, I love them all
and my newbie little Teddy is black, and I just adore him of course
most of you know how he came to us and he could have been any colour, orange, tortie, B&W or whatever, I would have still done the same

I do understand how certain cats would get left - bless them all

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to work for the local animal control facility and we'd average 200 cats and kittens in a year. While we worked there we were very low kill, only euthanizing very sick or very aggressive animals. Of the adult cats, we found that torties and tabbies of any color were difficult to find homes for. Calicos and tuxedos were by far the easiest, as were long haired cats of any color. Black cats were always wanted in our area, by people who were known to be involved with black magic... we wouldn't adopt out any black cats to people in our area and anyone else interested had to go through a thorough application process and background checks... and we'd foster the cats from September until November, and refused to adopt any out around Halloween.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walker, where about in Indiana are you... or was that shelter even in Indiana? I never thought of IN an a black magic or pagen state in general.

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It seems to be the same at the shelter my boyfriend volunteers at, black cats have to wait the longest before they get adopted. One of my boyfriend's favorites, Ziggy, had been there for two years, he was such a sweet cat and he has finally gone to a family last week.

They also have a white cat everyone wants to adopt when they see her, but most people back out after they have spent time with her. She is deaf and meows really loud because she can't hear herself, they finally found her a home with a deaf woman who was very happy with her but her neighbours forced her to return the cat because the noise drove them crazy.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Walker, where about in Indiana are you... or was that shelter even in Indiana? I never thought of IN an a black magic or pagen state in general.
I'm in southeastern Indiana... not far from Cincinnati. The town I lived and worked in at the time was very small and rural... it's got a gaming boat, but that hasn't really attracted many people to move to the area, and black magic has been practiced by certain groups of people in that town for a very long time.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mimosa

It seems to be the same at the shelter my boyfriend volunteers at, black cats have to wait the longest before they get adopted. One of my boyfriend's favorites, Ziggy, had been there for two years, he was such a sweet cat and he has finally gone to a family last week.

They also have a white cat everyone wants to adopt when they see her, but most people back out after they have spent time with her. She is deaf and meows really loud because she can't hear herself, they finally found her a home with a deaf woman who was very happy with her but her neighbours forced her to return the cat because the noise drove them crazy.
that poor deaf kitty & the owner. That's so sad.

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ladycat

that poor deaf kitty & the owner. That's so sad.
Yeah, it's a sad story. Minoes the cat is living as resident shelter cat now because they think they will never find a normal home for her, she has the run of the outside terrain and the staff areas and she gets load of attention from the volunteers. She seems to do well this way, fortunately.

danny254

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have always heard black cats have a hard time finding homes too. When I was in college my lab partner's gf worked at a vets office, and they had a cat. I have always loved black cats myself! My favorite one is one that has a lot of hair to for some reason!

One night I was sitting at my apartment and there was a knock on my door, and it was him and his gf with a box. I could tell there was something alive in it, and I figured they had brought me a cat, which I had already told them I did not want one at my apartment. However, they simply told me "we know you like black cats, and he needs a home." He did not have long hair, but as soon as I saw him, I knew he was the cat for me! I named him Bandit, and it fits him perfectly. When I moved back home from college, and back in with my parents, he came with me as well. They also have a black cat, so we then had 2 black cats in the house. Since then, a third black cat has taken up at our house as well. So, we now have 3 black cats at my house! The third one even had long hair. I have a feeling that she was dropped off there, but that was ok. I can never turn away a black cat! They all 3 get along farily well, and all stay inside most of the time. Bandit is still king though, since the other 2 are females. He is a big cat, I think he has siamsese in him to, bc his body is shaped like one, and he is all muscle and very heavy.

I do not know why people do not like black cats. They are very mysterious and cool to me. When I move back out and take Bandit with me, I do not know what I am going to do. I will probably have to get him another gf so he won't be to lonely. I am thinking about one of those 6-toe polydactle black cats this time. What do ya'll think?

rushrulz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our first cat was black, but we only had her for a year (she was sick and in a family way, which is why she was rehomed). Then we had a Siamese, Tao.

Mi-ke is a tortie. I'm in the market for a friend for her at the moment. I'm seeing quite a few black cats on the web, but I'm seeing lots of things, and I suspect that shelters tend to "promote" the hard-to-adopt ones more than the little bundles of kittens that will be snapped up in moments. Well, plus they have more time to get pictures.

Anyway, I'm going to see a woman about a cat (heh) this weekend. He's black, although they say he also has faint tabby markings (we'll see). He's flagged as a "favorite" of several registered people on that site, but he's still there (with his foster). I notice that his sisters are adopted--a black and white and a tabby, both very fluffy. Actually, it's odd because his pictures are also kitten pictures, but he's not fluffy.

I understand why people go for other colors, though. It makes them more interesting to look at, having different colors and patterns. On the other hand, cats are cats are cats, and it shouldn't really matter. Anyway, black goes with everything.

Are special needs cats hard to find homes for? I keep seeing all these FIV+ cats, and I know they need a home just as much as any other cat, but Mi-ke's FIV-, so I can't really help.

My family used to take care of some free-range cats. Only one was ever taken in, and he was black. He lives with my brother.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Danny, I think you should go for a 6-toed cat. My mother had several tux boys who had the six toes. First there was Tommy Twelve Toes, then Timmy Twelve Toes

Rush, I bet you fall in love with the one you see this weekend, stripes or not! I too can see why black cats may not be as distinctive. Also, if you wear a lot of black or dark colors, the hair won't show as much