leash training

meowsersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How do you train a cat to walk on a leash? I put a leash on my kitten and he immediately FREAKED OUT. He took off running around the apartment and the leash flipped over chairs, trashcans, etc. And now he's skittish around me, I think he thought I was throwing the chairs and trashcans at him. Is there some way I should've eased him into it? I simply clipped the leash onto him in the apartment and after 2 seconds, he went crazy.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, been walking lots of cats for lots of years. First get the harnesses that not only go around the neck, but also down around the back of the front legs (little piece connects the neck strap to the tummy piece along the back). He's less likely to strangle or escape that way... dogs have much stronger necks! Then, without the leash itself connected to the harness, just attach the harness so it fits well, which means tight enough so you can just get a finger under both parts, but no more (and it won't catch on anything, and he's less likely to slither out.. they're good at that!). Then just let him wear it for increasing times every day in the house... 10 mins, 20 mins.... til he forgets about it. Once he seems comfortable wearing it, wait for a nice day at a quiet time during the day, sprinkle a little catnip just outside the door but reclose it, bring him to the door and casually (quickly) clip on the leash, open the door and take him out with you. Put him down but don't go anywhere and leave the door open behind you. Being outside is likely to make him forget all about the leash, and he may immed. want to go back in, or else crouch and sniff all around him. Let him be the first one to go anywhere, and follow, don't lead. If he totally freaks out the first time when he's outside, let him go back in before he gets out of the harness. Do it all over again later in the day, and the next, but if after 2-3 tries he's really not interested, be glad you have a house cat! You don't want to end up having him like it so much that he wants to be out all the time and yowls at the door all day, never mind the chance, however small, that something (cars, etc.) scare him enough to get out of the harness and never come back.

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Hi, been walking lots of cats for lots of years. First get the harnesses that not only go around the neck, but also down around the back of the front legs (little piece connects the neck strap to the tummy piece along the back). He's less likely to strangle or escape that way... dogs have much stronger necks! Then, without the leash itself connected to the harness, just attach the harness so it fits well, which means tight enough so you can just get a finger under both parts, but no more (and it won't catch on anything, and he's less likely to slither out.. they're good at that!). Then just let him wear it for increasing times every day in the house... 10 mins, 20 mins.... til he forgets about it. Once he seems comfortable wearing it, wait for a nice day at a quiet time during the day, sprinkle a little catnip just outside the door but reclose it, bring him to the door and casually (quickly) clip on the leash, open the door and take him out with you. Put him down but don't go anywhere and leave the door open behind you. Being outside is likely to make him forget all about the leash, and he may immed. want to go back in, or else crouch and sniff all around him. Let him be the first one to go anywhere, and follow, don't lead. If he totally freaks out the first time when he's outside, let him go back in before he gets out of the harness. Do it all over again later in the day, and the next, but if after 2-3 tries he's really not interested, be glad you have a house cat! You don't want to end up having him like it so much that he wants to be out all the time and yowls at the door all day, never mind the chance, however small, that something (cars, etc.) scare him enough to get out of the harness and never come back.
Lot's of good advice. I also found letting the cat ride your shoulders at first useful, they feel safer up there. Just proceed very slowly, you don't want to freak your cat out.

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can only say that out of all the cats I've individually owned
or family had,
(7 or more!) only 2 were able to take to the leash thingy.

One was a Siamese, the other is my current Diablo cat. (Whom we
suspect of part Siamese blood..)

He took to the leash immediately, while my other cat refused
to move once the leash/harness was put on her. She just
sat down, folded her legs under and refused to budge!!

Diablo OTH was ready set to go! I walked him in Crystal
City at night - whence he caught (and mean ole
mommy made him let go
) mice and birds (even
leashed this guy had/has total hunting instincts...)

We used to go to the vets that way, in leash and harness.

He got into his harness, sat in my lap in car till we got to vet,
then at vets wander round the waiting room OR
sit perched ontop of vet's reception desk!!

He was/is used to going indoors/outdoors.
In his youth he was a brawler.

When he was injured from fights or
hunting too large prey (ducks) I'd put him on leash and
harness and spend an hour in the late pm walking
the dude cat round his "favorite" marking and poop spots..

We would do it till he was "healed" and the vet
said he could go outdoors again...

After he was hit by the car a few years ago,
during re-hab, I would only let him out on the
leash. The vet said it was important he MOVE
the injured legs/muscle to heal properly... soo...leash time!

My neighbors thought it was hysterically funny, and often
strangers who'd be out and see us walking on leash would
just have a jaw dropped response of surprise!!

What a cat he is! Of course now the vet comes to him,
as he is older and needs things like accupunture
and VOM. And he rarely goes out anymore, unless
Mommy is supervising his walk.

It is so much less stressful on Mommy too!!

So in conclusion - I think some cats take to it naturally
while others do not. In part it may have to do with the
trust bond between you and your cat.

For example, I raised diablo from tiny kitten (6 wks - he was FAR too young to be at the pet store
). So he bonded strongly
with me. Plus he had an outgoing attitude to different situations -
he was an *explorer*! Sheba OTH I got later in kittenhood,
had less trust and always was far more timid and
stressed by changes in routines...

At anyrate, don't force it. If your kitty's temperment isn't
good for that type of exploration/adventure don't force it on
him/her. An outdoor enclosure might be a better bet if you
want him/her to get out and have fresh air/stimulation...

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am training my two boys to the leash right now. First I put collars on them for a few days, and though they didn't like them at first, they soon stopped fighting them. Then I changed the collars to harnesses and let them wear them round the house for two days - neither seemed to mind after hte initial shock. Then I put the leads on and took them out to the balcony before trying the great outdoors. They did try to fight the leads, but are now, after several outings of increasing length, getting the idea and are no longer strangling themselves by pulling. The only exception was when I took them into the field and we were nearly mown down by a flock of sheep that was suddenly let loose through the gate on the other side! I was not expecting it - there are not normally sheep there (The Moslem festival of Bajram is coming - sheepmeat is equivalent to our Christmas turkey). Anyway, the lads freaked (and who wouldn't) and I nearly lost them. But it was encouraging that they both turned for home and ran that way, pulling me with them. They have been out since and are fine.

chatnoir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We used a similar approach to train P.Kitty. Sometimes we would only be outside for 5 minutes, and he'd dp his very best sway back routine (reminds me of Snoopy pretending to choke on the leash!). But we'd put him back in the house, with harness but no leash, until he begged to go out again. Then same thing. Now we do great. I even tie a long rope to his leash so he can roam more freely when I'm doing yard work. (I don't tie the rope- then it's easier to slip the harness - I just leave the loose end in front of me so I see it move when he starts walking around.)

He generally listens when I say "no", too. It took about 3 weeks to get to a real walk, and of course that mostly means I follow him, and only guide him in my direction sometimes. And if I pull the harness and leash out of the drawer, he runs to the front door and turns circles until we go out, just like with a dog.

I also let go of the leash if he gets frightened as he's shown that he will run straight to the front door and not run away. (We live in the country on a few acres, so cars aren't a problem. Coyotes are, thusly he's not a free range kitty!).

Lots of patience and it will happen! Good luck!