Leash training

smile123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do leash trained cats follow you on the leash or does leash trained mean they have no objection being on a harness? I am trying to get my cat to follow me around on her leash. I started a month or so ago putting the leash and harness near her sleeping area then putting the harness on loosely, then tightening it, and attaching the leash to let her drag. I started picking it up and following her. I've let her outside a couple times, letting her play in the backyard. She won't follow me unless I have a treat in my hand, if she finds that I do not have a treat she continues walking where she wants. I'm wondering if it's possible to get a cat to follow on the leash like a dog, or if you have to follow them.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both, if you grab her favorite wand toy dangle that close beside you that should bring her right in, keeps her focusing on toy walking at a nice pace beside you, it takes time. Then arrive to a good place let her lead to where ever she wants to explore trails pathways... they like the sense of freedom go up a tree trunk etc. exploring with you right there the more they enjoy themselves the better. Lead again when leaving but it's always mutual so never forcing or dragging think of food and treats she will get when she gets home. Outings always build up an appetite.
Doesn't take long to make a routine.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

smile123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she goes too far into a bush is it okay to pull her out?

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will both get a feel for it, best to keep away from bushes or brush where she can hide rather than complete any training. Takes time, take your time. Always make it a positive experience.

Last edited: