leash coupler for cats?

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anybody tried to use a leash coupler for walking two cats simultaneously?

Thinking of ordering this: 

It's really difficult to walk two cats! Especially two skittish cats who run at the slightest sound.

I'm also upgrading the cats' harnesses from this

to this

I'm not pleased with that H-style harness because: They can get out of it pretty easily; The middle strap that should go between the shoulder blades always fall down to the side and seems to short; The neck strap goes around the throat no matter what.

I hope they're OK with the neck strap going over the head. They don't love wearing their harnesses but put up with it because they know it means they can go outside. They patiently stand still when I put their harnesses on.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have any experience with walking two cats at once with a coupler, though I tried it with two large dogs and gave up after about a week because they kept pulling each other in different directions. I imagine it might be more difficult with cats.

That second harness is what I use to walk our cat - his is a dog harness, too - because the extra strap that runs between the front legs makes it more difficult, but not impossible, to slip out of. Amazon also has jacket harnesses. I tried one for Jamie, and while he didn't manage to slip out of it, he got extremely impatient and aggravated when I was putting it on him, so we went back to the dog harness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the coupler may be fine because a) it's not like I really walk the cats in the dog sense - it's more like I stand there while they sniff every thing and munch grass b) they sit if I pull on the leash so I figure if one pulls on the leash the other will sit which will result in the first cat sitting - fine by me c) I can't see how it could possibly be more annoying than the two separate leashes thing.

Anyway, it's just $10.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
If you're already taking them both at the same time it probably would be easier than them tangling their leashes. It just reminds me of the time a colleague decided to walk his two cats after hearing that I walked mine. One went up a tree, and while he was trying to get her down the other slipped the harness and took off. He was still cursing a couple of days later. That was the first and last time he attempted it.:lol3:

I always take my smartphone or a book when we go for a "walk", because half the time Jamie wants to hide behind a bush to stalk birds.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
catbehaviors - that totally has me convinced - I'm getting it. Thanks.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Good luck with walking your cats, whatever kind of leash you use. My cats think going for a walk means they ride on my shoulders and I do the walking.:walk::D