learning to read nutrition guidelines

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sooo, at this point I am pretty knowledgable on what types of ingredients to look for and avoid in cat food, and what kind of calorie counts are ideal for cats and kittens, however...I am not entirely sure what's an ideal protein and fat content % when reading labels.  Just for convenience, I was looking at chewy.com for the info and they don't show a lot of the info for wet foods, so I am going to focus on asking about dry food for the moment-  I see a consistent 30-40% crude protein percentage on some high quality foods and a high teens-low 20% on the crude fat content.  Is that a healthy amount?  Particularly for an active 7 month old kitten? The one thing that then confused me is that another supposedly good quality KITTEN formula lists a 7.5% protein and 3% fat content.  Shouldn't it be even higher in kitten food?? This particular kitten food I recently noticed has a rather low calorie count per cup compared to most other foods ive seen as well which is why I started to wean her off of it and give her something with a lot more calories.  What is everyones opinions on this?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which kitten food is that?

Canned foods usually have a listed protein content of 7%-10%, because they're mostly water (if figured on a dry matter basis they are usually higher in protein than kibble), but if a dry food were that low it would have to be. . .well, I don't know! Even rabbit food has more protein than that! It would have to be a typo.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Willowy   Its the Whole Earth Farms kitten formula dry food.  even the calorie count is kinda low on it- 350 calories per cup (most other kitten and all-life stages food has over 450 calories per cup.