Leaky bum

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Snoopy and Binti have been in poop quarantine for a few weeks. Snoop came to me with diarrhea and Binti already had some issues.
They have been on several rounds of Metrobactin and last weekend was the last...again.
Binti also had anti-diarrhea pills, which sometimes seemed to do something, and painkiller. And both are still getting Canikur Pro, food is Specific Digestive and RC Gastrointestinal.
Because she was still leaking despite of the Metrobactin, we said after this last round we maybe should take her off of all meds. Because the meds can give gastrointestinal issues as well.
This morning I went in to feed them, little drips of poo everywhere and the smell...god awful....
Snoopy is not leaking, but his tummy is still distended, like a parasite belly. Binti is skinny, her bum is raw and wet. She has no fever, is alert, plays, wrestles and eats.

We've already tried everything...and I'm not sure what else to do...the antidiarrhea we used to have was perfect but they took it out of commission (finidiar). I tried a similar from the vet and Binti poop exploded....

Snoop's belly IMG_20221115_082904.jpg
IMG_20221115_082907.jpg
And Binti
IMG_20221115_082607.jpg
IMG_20221115_082615.jpg

I had to take this with video. She just wants love and cuddles but her bum is so raw
Screenshot_2022-11-15-08-33-32-186_com.miui.mediaeditor.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Coconut oil for her bum? She really needs to do some training, get the muscle back in shape and we need to firm up the poo.

I was thinking of putting her on the same food(Specific FDD-HY) as my other giardia cats(they had it as kitten too) and one IBS cat but I fear it might upset her tummy again even though it's very digestible.

Then there's the smell...the poop still smells sickly...

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you said somewhere else but did the vet say what is causing all this? poor Kitties. Have been told pumpkin can work both as a stool thickener and softener, depending on what is happening to them. Aw, I feel for you and them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The suspiscion lies on Giardiasis, hence the multiple rounds of metrobactin.
Binti has had the mucus poop, green poop and Snoop came with yellowish diarrhea.

In 2018 I nearly lost a kitten to giardiasis, she was literally dying and my vet brought her back. Another kitten came to me in 2016, already with diarrhea(what is it with people and wanting to get rid of cats as soon as they get sick..they just dump it on someone else) and it took until the summer of 2017 to get her back. She had even turned yellow from the metrobactin so we had to quit the meds. She lived on three cans of pate for the longest time and now finally she's back eating dry food(Specific FDD-HY) and looks great

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has your vet also given de-wormers that will kill other parasite species? A drug that will kill most common worms like hookworms and then probably another separate drug that will kill tapeworms.

Even if the fecal sample is negative, that just means there weren’t visible worm eggs in that particular sample - if there’s diarrhea and a bloated belly that’s probably enough reason to ask if your vet is willing to try deworming anyway.

Food sensitivities are another thing worth considering. Sensitive stomach food usually still contains common food allergens like chicken/turkey/fish, but if you look for a “limited ingredient” food with a “novel protein” like duck/venison/rabbit they’re unlikely to have an established allergy to that food. Pick something the cats are unlikely to have eaten before (eg. if they may have hunted/eaten rabbits, don’t choose rabbit). Be sure to read the ingredients on the food - not all foods with a novel protein are limited ingredient, and a duck-based food that also contains soy/egg/chicken isn’t going to do any good if the cat is sensitive to one of those ingredients. There are prescription limited ingredient novel protein foods, but there are also less expensive non-prescription ones from brands like Koha, Rawz, and Natural Balance.

It may also be worth looking into a probiotic. It won’t fix a problem like parasites or food sensitivities, but if there’s persistent mystery diarrhea with no medical explanation it may be worth a try.

Last edited: