Leaky Bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
For now until further tests done I would personally feed with the highest calorie wet foods you find that DOESN'T have what you've been feeding him in the ingredients, at least not as one of the firsts. (Like if he's been eating chicken-based food, switch to a different meat.) And free feed or hand feed with some grain-free kibbles - mostly because we can't leave wet food outside.
will this work for you? Along with the b12?
How are things?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Courtneya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He was previously eating fish only food. Ever since this entire situation he's been eating chicken. Things are the same as of now. His bottom did not leak today, but it's off and on.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Try hand feeding the wet food if you think that would help, but the b12 will help too. Maybe try a different probiotic? He needs to absorb those nutrients.

Courtneya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Eating isn't an issue. He eats on his own. Edit..he eats A LOT on his own

Courtneya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
But how will feeding him by soon or hand help absorb the nutrients?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
It won't, but the thought is to try to get more in so that a little more actually is absorbed. If you can try feeding more canned kitten food more frequently, the extra food may help your kitty to get more nutrients. Try Merrick Backcountry, natural balance, fancy feast, etc.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Also, talk to your vet, and see if they have a payment plan, or maybe there is something in the financial aid links I posted that can help. The only real way to address this is to find out what is causing the weight loss in the first place, and to find out about the leakiness.

Courtneya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He ate a big can of wet cat food and a bowl full of kibble last night. And then this morning he ate an entire can of wet food with his probiotics. So far his bottom is fine. I think it leaks when he has bad diarrhea due to the fact that he has problems holding it. Maybe age is getting the better of him? Who knows.

Courtneya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Called my vet. They are allowing me to take in a stool sample to get tested. So they don't have to stick anything up in him to get one!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you asking for the more 'extensive'/'expanded' outside lab testing ?

Courtneya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We'll get this. I take his sample into the vet at 230. They say it will take 10 mins. So I wait around....for an HOUR. The lady says "we can call you when it's ready" so I go home. Call several times and still isn't ready. I call 30 mins before the close and they the put me on hold for 7 mins. They come back on the phone and say they are "very busy" and will call back. I called and called to try and catch them before they closed at 5. NO ANSWER. My mom goes to the vet (I'm at work at this time) and they are closed and no one is there. FED UP

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, then, that's an in-house test. If there's one of the 'bugs' we discussed at play, the in-house type won't pick it up.

Meantime......that experience today.....plus, what's happened there so far, should IMO seal the deal in respect to that clinic.

Have you thought about the psyllium?

Courtneya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was reading psyllium helps constipation in cats. I don't want that if it's going to clean him out...

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't have suggested it if I had understood that it would "clean him out".

You need to understand how psyllium works to see why it might just firm up his stool.

Psyllium is a functional fiber, not a digestible dietary fiber.

As it's not digestible...it passes right through the small intestine....in the large intestine it absorbs water thereby adding bulk to the stool - making the stool firmer - that fullness stimulates the 'expulsion' process.....and, as the stool exits, it is firm enough to stimulate the anal glands to secrete (preventing that previous problem he had)...........and so (as the young'uns say) he'd be "good to go".

Now, that's why I suggested....(more like wondered out loud) if a tiny amount of psyllium might have an effect on his chronic soft stool.

Some reliable references on how psyllium works in cats:
I don't think you read the felineconstipation.org piece I gave you....however, psyllium isn't covered in depth there because it really isn't ideal for most feline constipation.

If you get the soft stool solved with the psyllium, it would be worth looking at adding a tiny amount of cat-friendly dietary fiber to his wet foods - that will keep his gut bactria healthy and happy. That kind of fiber doesn't feed the cat...........it feeds the cat's gut bacteria.

Courtneya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the posts and help. My little one died in his sleep. I'm broken hearted

Status
Not open for further replies.