Lazlo's ultrasounds results. :(

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of vibes sent your way that this is nothing serious!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you. I'm hoping that it's not "thickening," but that it is inflamed - and his pancreas "distorted" - because he's been finding plastic I don't know about (even though there was finally none IN his stomach). I've scoured the place again and can't find any he can access... but we'll see in a month. :)

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie, I've been watching for the results of the ultrasound and somehow missed this.  So, sounds like some good new, but now there's more waiting?!  Man.  I'm sending out more
and hoping for some really good news next month.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, this is the first time since he was declared in complete remission (a year and eight months ago) that there has been any potentially bad news. I'm not calling it bad news yet, the x-ray should confirm (or not. :cross: ).

Last edited:

roxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear Lazlo is having problems. I'm not even going to say the "C" word because he's going to be okay. He has to be. He's already been through so much and so have you. Prayers and good vibes for you and Lazlo. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for this, Barb! :hugs: We'll just have to wait until we see the vet again. It also says the thickening can be a symptom of lymphoma, and my understanding is that his stomach is thicker now than it's been on previous ultrasounds since the chemo. The way the article reads, the thickening would have occurred during the chemo, and should have been present all along. :dk:

But I like the idea that he's having a delayed reaction to the chemo. :lol3:

:D

:hugs:

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes Laurie, I was not completely sure about the intent of that point. I was going with the first sentence about how there are limitations and perhaps that being a negative after effect of treatment. And I agree, the article reads as if it were part and parcel of the ongoing treatment. Toby's oncologist certainly didn't discuss that with me (grrrrr).

It just seems as if, with his remission so extended, I wish there were some way you could get a second opinion, or ask your doc if they have seen this kind of extended remission and then a recurrence. I guess there are situations along the "curve" but it just makes me wonder, under what circumstance is it coming back. Is it non-aggressive? If aggressive, why so long to possibly return? Questions like that. Also, what did they mean by pancreatic "distortion". Was your oncologist present for the ultrasound or was he given some pictures?

I am sorry to ask so many questions. It just sounded reminiscent of the kind of stuff I was told regarding Toby which didn't feel as if I was being told anything that I could wrap my head around :-(.

I am sure knowing you, there will be no stone left unturned though! LOL. I would have tried to hire you to be my Toby advocate and come with me every week to take on the oncologist, lol, if you had lived closer.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, Barb, we haven't been in touch with Dr. Clifford (oncologist) since we transferred his treatment to the local vet. She's been in touch with him here and there, and we did leave him a voicemail to let him know Laz was in remission back at that first ultrasound post-chemo. But we haven't been in touch since then. If he hadn't moved practices, we'd probably have Lazlo's records transferred to him so we could pay for a consult to ask all the questions - but Lazlo hasn't been treated at the new practice. I don't know that I want to take him on an hour trip just to ask questions. At least not yet.... :cross:

And I haven't done any research on this, because other than determine whether his stomach wall is thickening or not, there's nothing to do beyond what we're already doing. I've got him on what anti-cancer preventatives I'm comfortable with given his history, he's showing no outward signs of a problem (knock wood), and all we can do is keep tabs on his insides as best we can... and make decisions as we come to actionable diagnoses, if it comes to that.

I did read up on remissions, and two years isn't unheard of. Rare, yes, but not unheard of. Rare would be for the cancer to not return. We're close to uncharted territory with his length of remission... but not beyond it, knock wood. :heart2: