Lazlo's got diarrhea :(

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It started yesterday. We were hoping he just ate a bug or something. But it happened again today, poor fella. He's been eating normally and as playful (and nutty
) as always. But since this is day two, I grabbed a sample we'll take to the vet tomorrow.

We took his temp and it's normal, and he's not dehydrated. We've already got metro....whatever-the-rest-of-it-is at hand. But because of the ferals around here, we're always worried we tracked something in.

That said... I suspect it's hairball-related. He's been having an issue with them recently, though normally he vomits.

If it IS hairball related (everything else gets ruled out) - what's the best course of action? We've been feeding him a fair amount of hairball food because of the recent issues. They all HATE laxatone or any of the hairball stuff - it's really hard to get down them. Would something like pumpkin help?
(I mean for the hair in his system, not the diarrhea). We've got pumpkin on hand as well.....

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you see my suggestion in this thread? Can you get away with trying that on your cats?

It seems like a lot of people are getting the fall hairball issues lately.
(cats coats thickening) I'm even having a little bit of it with Sherman lately, though nothing too bad.

It won't hurt to try the pumpkin. I've seen others mention squash baby food working. (and though I doubt it will work, my Tomas loves cooked spaghetti squash with a little butter on it - plenty of fiber there
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hadn't, but just took a look. I can probably shove laxatone down like a pill - have to get it first since we don't keep that on hand.

I guess my question (neither vet has called me back yet! Though to be fair, I said it wasn't an emergency) is... I understand the concept of vaseline to help move hair out of the stomach into the rest of the GI system, but I don't understand how the vaseline helps through the colon.

Any idea if fiber or laxatone-like stuff is the "better" solution? Or should I try both?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not water soluble so it coats everything as it goes through. Following meals will eventually clear it out. (you can also use it or mineral oil to help a constipated cat)

Vasoline will work. Most people just use the hairball remedy because it's flavored to make cats like it. What flavors of the laxatone have you tried? Maybe you can find one that at least some of them will like better. I've also had a hairball paste that I got from a (different) vet that the cats went nuts over the taste of.
Use what you have at hand until you go shopping.

Some, including myself, will also give their cats a tiny bit of unsalted butter. I don't know how much that helps but I haven't found a cat yet that doesn't like butter. ... Someone needs to make butter flavored hairball remedy.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

... Someone needs to make butter flavored hairball remedy.
This is true for ALL meds!!!! I've always wondered what's up with the banana or orange flavored meds...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't ran into orange for cats yet. Banana was easier to use in the past. Cherry is just a bad idea. I know they use human meds, but from personal experience that orange flavoring does taste terrible.

Butter and cheese flavoring, I bet it would go down better than tuna or poultry. Or if one wanted something truly irresistible... KFC flavoring.
I wonder if there would be any way to sell that idea to someone?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh you are not kidding about the KFC flavoring!

Clavamox, I think it is (in liquid form) is orange flavored.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Oh you are not kidding about the KFC flavoring!

Clavamox, I think it is (in liquid form) is orange flavored.
KFC I kind of was kidding about. But if someone could do it... I'd really just like to see butter flavor used - dogs would love it, too.

I don't think the Clavamox I get is orange flavored... that's not how I would describe it (it's been shook into my face). It's moderately bitter, though, like augmentin is. Do you get the yellow and white boxed Pfizer brand?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's been ages since we had to use it... I just remember it smelling like orange and thinking "what the....?????"
Yes - the box was yellow and white.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do butter.... apple pectin and slippery elm/ marshmellow( latter two COAT and are ideal for Intestinal issues) are all kept on hand for diarrea or constipation or in the case of Slipperelm and marshmellow both and over all intestinal health